Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anyone cast their own lead bullets, or just buy your bullets? Is lead hard to come by?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a bunch of lead I need to get rid of, it's been sitting in my garage for about 7 years now.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a bullet casting forum check it out lots of experience posted there for the taking..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I scrounge old nets that get balled up on the beaches and salvage the lead line lead.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I scrounge old nets that get balled up on the beaches and salvage the lead line lead.

That's what I do. The commercial guy throw fathoms of it away every year. I just mine the line. Of course I throw in a handful of wheel weights with it when I'm melting it down into clean ingots.

The hardest part is separating the lead from the line material. Recently I just been putting it in #10 cans over an open fire and allowing the material to burn away.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
One of the military bases had like 20 or 30 thousand pounds a lead for auction a while ago. The real kicker was the material had to be destroyed or cut up before it left the base. It would take a long time cutting that stuff up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've turned over 1000#'s of lead in bullets. I don't seem to have as much free time, but still manage to cast some now and again. To get the most out of cast, tailoring the dia and alloy to your gun by casting your own is really the only way to go. That and I doubt I'd be as big a fan of the 480 if I didn't cast for it.

[Linked Image]

and if you get truly aflicted you'll start casting hollow points

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Find your nearest junkyard and ask them about scrap lead.

If you have a tire store nearby ask what they do with old wheelweights.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Used to. Will again.

In 76/77 I lived in Galena and was into muzzle loaders(have yet to kill with one!). At some previous time they had ripped a bunch of 3 inch lead conduit out of the runway and dumped it in a pile over the end of the dike. At the time the Air Force was still flying F-4 s out of there as Bear interceptors until the F16s from Great Falls could get there and used 3 arrester wires and sometimes their poop chute to stop on the 5,000 foot runway. I suspect the junk was part of this system. Fun to watch those landings. Pilots were a might twitchy even after a couple bears at the club. We lived in on base housing and had privileges.....

At any rate my cruiser ax and I salvaged several hundred pounds of the discarded lead melted down into ingots on the kitchen stove. Prolly not all that healthy! smile

Last time I used any of this was as a gill net anchor several years later, enclosed in a 7x8x9 inch IIRC plywood box. Weighed 68 lbs. The Manley Postmaster was overjoyed when I sent it to myself there, as I was between jobs and spending a couple months at my cabin. He also enjoyed the 30 something boxes my wife and I sent to his 8' X 10' post office.

As I recall, his exact words when I walked in the door a couple weeks later were "You SOB(abbreviated), I almost ruptured myself!" I ask you, is that any way a public servant should be addressing a client? Fortunately he was also the bartender, and it was only about 8 steps between jobs. smile

I really should unbox that lead one of these days. As soon as I get a 1/28 barrel in something. That compromise 1/48 TC used on the Hawkin 50 and Seneca 45 ain't worth spit, but they are fun to shoot even if the aren't accurate with either ball or Maxie. Probably should ask my Denver brother for the .50 Hawkin back after these 16 years. He went and bought an in-line, the putz. Nowhere near the record 21 years he kept the .270, now an '06 caribou killing machine here in Kotzebue.

Last edited by las; 01/06/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
yup, have been casting 30 cal and 44 mag "Kieth" bullets for many years ..

have bugged Stoner at gun shows to cast some 500 S&W Mag 500 gr bullets but he whined about the cost of a mold and refused to do the fitty !

Last year I developed my own bullets for the 500 S&W and had Tom at Accurate Molds make me a custom 4 cavity mold, 555 gr and 500 gr .502" bullets as cast with wheelweights.... I made the meplat .416" and straight tapered to .502", these boys will hit HARD and penetrate deep ....

only $165 shipped ,
and now molds for both bullet designs are available for everyone .. contact Tom @ Accurate Molds

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-500M-D.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-555M-D.png

[Linked Image]]photobucket[/url]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by las
In 76/77 I lived in Galena and

That is [bleep] ironic given the topic. smile smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good topic because if I move back up there again, I'd like to keep casting. Currently working on load development for a 255 gr LBT LFN for my 9.3x62 which was purpose built for Alaska.

Alan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really should unbox that lead one of these days. As soon as I get a 1/28 barrel in something. That compromise 1/48 TC used on the Hawkin 50 and Seneca 45 ain't worth spit, but they are fun to shoot even if the aren't accurate with either ball or Maxie.

The Lyman Great Plains Rifle has a 1:60" for PRB and their Great Plains Hunter is 1:32" for for conicals.

One of my buds bought a Lee mold for casting hollow-based Minie balls and they seem to shoot pretty well out of my .54 Lyman GPR (we both have .54 GPRs).

The Minie being hollow based with most of the weight forward seems to stabilize pretty well so far kicked off with 80gr of Triple7 even with the slow 60" twist.

BTW, I lived downriver 50 miles back in the day. Spent a lot of time in Galena......mostly at the courthouse.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 41 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.