Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes, the paper wheels come set up with diamond grit on one, cover with wax to keep it cooler.

The other gets rouge, I even forget the color of the stick, but maybe white, I ran out, and have a black stick right now.

But since I mostly quit bowhunting due to a fire injury and I only use Havels Piranta knives, about all we sharpen are meat processing knives a few times a year... so I"m not currently up to date on all that... I suspect google paper wheels would answer too.

When doing taxidermy used to use them all the time to get 2-3 uses out of a scalpel blade... shaving sharp.

I agree on the razor sharp but as noted, have killed a lot of things in a hurry on a touched up filed edge.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, they both work, just prefer the scalpel edge.

Something about a scary sharp shaving edge that will slice paper and pop hairs.

Shooting traditional equipment, I want every advantage for maximum penetration.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of my friends killed a deer with a fishing arrow from the boat one night. Illegally of course. It didn't go very far shot through the lungs. Good penetration, but not the ideal setup or deer. My point is that shot placement is vital, but bleeding is what causes an arrow to kill quickly. Sharp is the key, a rough edge simply does not promote as much blood loss. Every animal that was ever killed with a rough edged broadhead would have died faster with a keen edge.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There is the argument that a not quite razor edge, IE not so fine and fragile, might hold up better through ribs, than the razor edge

And I think I"ve actually seen that a time or two. But no way to prove it.

The few that I'd used filed heads on, typically pigs where we've used the arrow more than a few times... well they didn't really need to die any faster than they did I mean they didn't go far and didn't live long.

BUt as I've noted I still try to start shaving sharp. But I have no qualms at all about hitting a head on a pig hunt wiht a file and rocking on after peeling the feather off, and hitting it on my jeans or boots a few times....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.