Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
...Cabela's has a way of cheapening things up with all the gaudy crap they put on them...

Thanks BSA.

And I agree on the over-decoration cheapening the multitude of special edition this and that.

Over decoration....a floor plate? You're not seeing the forest for the tree.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
I wouldn't buy a Portuguese Winchester. Not when you can buy the real thing (a pre-'64 FWT) for $700.

[Linked Image]

That's really deceiving....most pre 64's are much more than that. Just go to Gun Broker or GI and check prices. That's usually beater price range on one of them.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought this '51 30-06 standard grade from BSA for $1000, back in 2012. It's not "all original", as it was bedded and has a recoil pad. Works for me! grin

Eric

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
$1,000.00 with the Burris FFII 3-9x40. Then I bought the scope back for $150.00. Total was $850.00 and that rifle is one of the best shooting pre 64's I've ever had. I'm glad it went to Eric. He takes good care of it and he uses it... That rifle looks sweet with that Zeiss HD buddy!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
I wouldn't buy a Portuguese Winchester. Not when you can buy the real thing (a pre-'64 FWT) for $700.

[Linked Image]

Where are they for that cheap price?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$1,000.00 with the Burris FFII 3-9x40. Then I bought the scope back for $150.00. Total was $850.00 and that rifle is one of the best shooting pre 64's I've ever had. I'm glad it went to Eric. He takes good care of it and he uses it... That rifle looks sweet with that Zeiss HD buddy!!!

That's right, I forgot about the Burris FFII. cool

I really like the Zeiss HD5 3-15 on this rifle. With 150 gr TTSX rounds the holdover points are very close to reality. Makes for quick targeting!!

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They aren't.....anymore anyway smile

Oh here and there we all run into "deals" but $700 bucks for a clean pre 64 FW 06 hasn't been at the $700 level for at least a decade I think.

If I were the OP and wanted really nice wood I would not hesitate to buy one of the newer rifles being made today. Yes some of the Cabela's models and SG's are too shiny for my taste but for the money are well made and solid rifles with nice actions and good barrels. The 2008 M70's and EW's I have owned functioned perfectly and shot like gangbusters out of the box.I think the workmanship is in some ways better than the Classics made at New Haven.

I think the barrels supposedly being better today than the pre 64's is more gun writer talk than anything or an opinion derived from samples of one or two of each for comparison.I've had a slew of pre 64's that would shoot right along with anything today including some custom tube rifles.I have seen M70's from 220 Swift to 375 H&H shoot just like Eric's rifle many times.

You can't really ask pre 64 fans to be objective about the new rifles because we are emotionally vested in the old guns and few of us are capable of picking up any M70 without comparing them in some manner to the pre 64's ....plus we can't get past the triggers of the old rifles the one piece bolt and some other features of construction, maybe with good reason.

But for better or worse that trigger is gone...just like El Paso Weavers,B&L and Lyman scopes,and screw machine partitions.

It's time to move on and if the old rifles float your boat, buy one...if we are not hung up on that, the new rifles are a good value smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really like that scope. I was researching it and like the turrets as well. They appear to function like the American made scopes, unlike the Conquest line. Meaning the turret rotates counter clockwise for up etc. Very well marked turrets too, which is a nice feature as compared to my Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 on my 375. That scope is damn near worthless for dialing. That's why it's on my 375 sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ULA24
Originally Posted by pal

[Linked Image]

I haven't read thru all of BobinNH post, but wanted to let you guys know there are still some good deals out there to be had on pre 64 model 70's. Since pal brought up fwt's I bought 2 that were in the $800.00 ball park. First one my favorite 30-06 fwt (made in '56):

$800.00 took her home:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Very clean and all original....

Next was a 308 fwt that I didn't really care for. I tried to like the 308 win cartridge, but don't like the short cartridge at all. $900.00 with scope:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Later sold the Kollmorgen bear cub scope and cool Buhler adjusto mount for $175.00. Total into the rifle was $900.00-$175.00= $725.00. Rifle was in nice all original condition and was a first year production fwt. There are deals out there to be had, you just got to know where to find them wink ... These are just 2 deals I've had. I won't go into detail about the other ones, since pal and ula only mention fwt..... whistle I have to add this very valid point: I've had many FN's. Had being the operative word....

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not eveybody is looking for a 458, that's a very specialized rifle. That being said I have hunted deer with a custom 416 Taylor so I do like big bores and have used my Pre 64 M70 375 H&H. The new M70's while they have nicer wood are just that new rifles and IMHO they have no history behind them other than the sales pitch of JOC or a limited offering from Cabelas. Ten years from now the Pre 64 458 mentioned for $6500 with be worth $10K and the cabelas gun will be $1000 if your lucky.

Slavek I'm with you on Cabela's. I can't stand them and won't buy anything from them.

IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ULA24
Originally Posted by pal

[Linked Image]

Bought mine a couple years ago from Martin B Retting, a high priced Los Angeles gun store. The reason it was so cheap is that, in spite of the metal's near mint condition, the original stock had had a shoulder pad added. Just like I would have wanted it anyway. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

$800.00 took her home:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Very clean and all original....

Next was a 308 fwt that I didn't really care for. I tried to like the 308 win cartridge, but don't like the short cartridge at all. $900.00 with scope:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Two great examples. Heck, I could even live with the scopes if they were Leupold. grin

Also saw your post on fixing up the trucks. Good stuff. Wish I had some of your skills and obvious patience.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Not eveybody is looking for a 458, that's a very specialized rifle. That being said I have hunted deer with a custom 416 Taylor so I do like big bores and have used my Pre 64 M70 375 H&H. The new M70's while they have nicer wood are just that new rifles and IMHO they have no history behind them other than the sales pitch of JOC or a limited offering from Cabelas. Ten years from now the Pre 64 458 mentioned for $6500 with be worth $10K and the cabelas gun will be $1000 if your lucky.

Slavek I'm with you on Cabela's. I can't stand them and won't buy anything from them.

Pre 64 Model 70's and their followings will be just like 50'-60's muscle cars. When boomers who drooled over them as youngsters, but now have disposal income to buy them are gone, so is the market. Already seeing that in older 20's and 30's vehicles. Go to a local gun shop.....most rifles have plastic stocks. Times they are a changing.

Don't get me wrong, not knocking the pre 64's but just personally like a rifle that makes me take notice. Many, if not most pre 64 featherweights and to a lesser degree super grades, don't get my attention any more than a decent looking Remington 722. Tack drivers, great guns, just ho-hum. (to me at least)

Last edited by Wacenturion; 01/13/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
They aren't.....anymore anyway smile

Oh here and there we all run into "deals" but $700 bucks for a clean pre 64 FW 06 hasn't been at the $700 level for at least a decade I think.

If I were the OP and wanted really nice wood I would not hesitate to buy one of the newer rifles being made today. Yes some of the Cabela's models and SG's are too shiny for my taste but for the money are well made and solid rifles with nice actions and good barrels. The 2008 M70's and EW's I have owned functioned perfectly and shot like gangbusters out of the box.I think the workmanship is in some ways better than the Classics made at New Haven.

I think the barrels supposedly being better today than the pre 64's is more gun writer talk than anything or an opinion derived from samples of one or two of each for comparison.I've had a slew of pre 64's that would shoot right along with anything today including some custom tube rifles.I have seen M70's from 220 Swift to 375 H&H shoot just like Eric's rifle many times.

You can't really ask pre 64 fans to be objective about the new rifles because we are emotionally vested in the old guns and few of us are capable of picking up any M70 without comparing them in some manner to the pre 64's ....plus we can't get past the triggers of the old rifles the one piece bolt and some other features of construction, maybe with good reason.

But for better or worse that trigger is gone...just like El Paso Weavers,B&L and Lyman scopes,and screw machine partitions.

It's time to move on and if the old rifles float your boat, buy one...if we are not hung up on that, the new rifles are a good value smile

Great post....agree completely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Pre 64 Model 70's and their followings will be just like 50'-60's muscle cars. When boomers who drooled over them as younsters, but now have disposal income to buy them are gone, so is the market.

I hope you're right. That means more pre-64s for all of us, at lower prices. lol. crazy wink

I don't buy these rifles as investments, although I could get back what I have in them plus some. I buy them because they have great character, balance well, are reliable, smooth and accurate. I'll be using mine for another 40 or so years knock on wood.

Eric

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The more "special edition" M70's they make, the more the remaining pre-'64's are worth. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guess my point is I'm not buying rifles as an investment, but rather to use. So whatever value said rifle(s) has after I'm gone is somewhat irrelevant. I have never lost money on a firearm as I don't abuse them in the field so even after many years of use they look almost as new.

The difference is I like the value in the new FN Model 70's, specifically when I shop around and find them with exceptionally beautiful stocks on them. As far as functionality, the new FN's are every bit as good as a pre 64 in my opinion. Rather doubt their value will ever decrease.

Oh and as far as limited editions, I might agree except on the Cabelas Model 70's we are only talking about a floorplate, nothing more. Outside of the floorplate they are an exact duplicate of the 1961 Model 70, down to box, instuctions and hang tags. Maybe I'm loosing it as I get older, but their cost, particuarily on sale were a steal in my opinion.

The JOC's, like the one I bought below ....worth every penny.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC0015_zps2b9a83c4.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC0016_zpsa8582d42.jpg.html][Linked Image]

Last edited by Wacenturion; 01/14/15.

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Still in search mode......

But my original post was asking for advice, and you guys have delivered, both the pros and the cons of the various options, so Thank You to all. Any continuing thoughts appreciated.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I sure wish they used the JOC stock config on their standard fwts!

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I sure wish they used the JOC stock config on their standard fwts!

Agree, really like the cheekpiece. One of the reasons I am hesitant on FWTS.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.