Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome to the campfire!

Originally Posted by Harless
I looked in a gun book at a store last month and it had the gun listed as being worth "new in the box" at $6000.00, used in good shape at $2500.00 and the low price was $1400.00..

However mine is not for sale at any price, I bought it to hunt with, I do other things to make money.........

Sounds like you have a winner, though I have to admit to cringing any time I hear trigger work being done on 99's. As to the values listed in the book... WAY off. Watch gunbroker, you can pick up NIB ones for under $1000 consistently if you want to. You are the exception By hunting yours, most folks bought them as collector pieces and there are thousands still out there that are NIB. A NIB 99C from the same year would probably sell for more.

A $6000 99 is likely to be a very nice engraved old 1899, not anything made in the last 70 years.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect the gun he found in the book is the centenniel edition with the wood case in .300 Savage. Never heard of the 75th being priced like that!

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't think I've ever heard of the Centennial being priced near that, either. Even the RMF doesn't go that high.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Harless
It seems to me that gun collectors don't really know what guns are for...

I bought a new model 99 75th anniversary 308 in 1975 and I'll admit, it wasn't much out of the box but with a little tweaking to make it shoot straight and to shorten the trigger pull about 90%, it's fine weapon.. I've killed about 100 deer and one bear and lots of other things that I won't mention. It has never failed..
Today it will still put 3 shots in a target at 100 yds. and make only one hole..

I shoot 130 gr. bullets at 3000 fps and have never had an animal get away..

I looked in a gun book at a store last month and it had the gun listed as being worth "new in the box" at $6000.00, used in good shape at $2500.00 and the low price was $1400.00..

However mine is not for sale at any price, I bought it to hunt with, I do other things to make money.........

Crakin me up.

First post: he digs up a thread from 2010 and has an ax to grind.

If it's been hunted, you can buy them dime a dozen for $500.

Dig a hole and throw that 75th in it. If somebody digs it up 10,000 years from now somebody might find it and find somebody else to pay 6K for it. I'm not debating that it could make a fine meat weapon, but don't confuse that with it's market value. New and in the box maybe 1200 in today's market. The guy that wrote the book you are reading ain't offering anything for it.

Personally I wouldn't trade a boat anchor for one. Throw in the anchor rope and maybe...

Since it's not for sale now, my recommendation would be to keep it and kill with it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uh oh... going for popcorn now.

I wouldn't bother. He seems to be happy with his and the rest of us know what it is. We all know that they can be good shooters. If that's all he's interested in then good for him. Life goes on. Then again, some fool may want to try to start a flame war. So be that too.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harless--

I have some guns for sale. Get your price guide and come on over.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still have the one in the picture earlier in this thread and I STILL wouldn't sell it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I passed on one that had been hunted alot, had the box but it was a mess mold and beat up, guy was at at 450.00 as i walked away he said give me 350.00 and its yours, i looked it over and just didnt like it even for that price.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This sure is an old thread, but since it has returned.........Get past the glitz-----and comparatively speaking in relation to other commemoratives it's not much, it is a factory heavy barreled non-tang safety Savage 99 in the most accurate caliber ever put in this particular rifle that shoots lights out---at least mine does.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with 21. If I found one for $350 I'd snap it up and got hunting with it.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I purchased a 75th Anniversary Commemorative 99 in .308 a few years ago. Right off the bat I thought it was too gaudy. Just too much bling for me. Second, I did not like the gold lever. Third, I felt that the stock, much like many of the 99's manufactured toward the end of their era was far too clunky. Kind of like they were in a hurry and did little hand-fitting. Keep in mind that I wanted mine to hunt with. I bought it new-in-box, but like some of you, I am not going to let my wonderful 99's collect dust just so somebody who inherits them after I am gone can sell them for top dollar. I want to use mine. I sent my stock off to Dennis Pritchard, the best stock guy for 99's that I have ever met. He fine-tuned my clunky stock, into something that Arthur Savage would have appreciated. Will post a photo in a bit as I think it turned out nicely. For the caliber, I agree. It should have at least been a .300 Savage even if the era for such a gun was wrong given the 1895 v/s .300 did not exist at same time. That said, like I mentioned I shoot mine and even with factory ammo, it is a tack driver but .308 is a very accurate caliber in just about any gun. Going forward I plan to have the gold colored (plated I think) lever buffed off and take it to Doug Turnbull to be case colored. When done, it won't be original but will be a shooter that will make a pretty sweet elk-stick. Thoughts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like it but would have set aside the original stock and had a new stock and forearm made for it but then I'm a collector as well as a user. I'll bet an earlier lever safety lever could be fitted easily also.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image][/URL]

[Linked Image][/URL]

I never seem to be able to do this right but hopefully this time it took. You will see the clunky, unrefined forearm has been slimmed down to what was the norm in the time of the 99 in its prime, where time was spent on details and proper fitting, unlike the latter years. Also excess weight was taken off in the wrist. This is now one of my favorite hunting guns. Oh, and the reason I am removing the plating from this lever and having it properly case colored, v/s just purchasing a different lever and saving the original, is that I don't want any of my decendants who might inherit this gun, to look like a Pimp. Just too gaudy with that brass lever. Compare this with the 75th Anniversary units out of the box, and I think this one looks a lot better. As far as the oft-mentioned quality of the latter 99's, this one works just great.

Last edited by 1899guy; 01/16/15.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 1899guy
[Linked Image][/URL]

[Linked Image][/URL]

I never seem to be able to do this right but hopefully this time it took. You will see the clunky, unrefined forearm has been slimmed down to what was the norm in the time of the 99 in its prime, where time was spent on details and proper fitting, unlike the latter years. Also excess weight was taken off in the wrist. This is now one of my favorite hunting guns. Oh, and the reason I am removing the plating from this lever and having it properly case colored, v/s just purchasing a different lever and saving the original, is that I don't want any of my decendants who might inherit this gun, to look like a Pimp. Just too gaudy with that brass lever. Compare this with the 75th Anniversary units out of the box, and I think this one looks a lot better. As far as the oft-mentioned quality of the latter 99's, this one works just great.

She's more perty now! How does that crescent butt plate feel behind the .308's recoil?

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Its fine when hunting but at the shooting bench, if its warm and you are wearing a t-shirt and it is just right, it will pinch the crap out of your arm-pit, against the shooting bench. All in all though, I do like it. I don't think you will find a more accurate version of a 99.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Looks like something a pimp might buy.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Pimps don't buy rifles.
If they did they would be pink or purple with way more bling, and probably not a lever action.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think that has come up nice, as you have already modified it why not not have the barrel set back and chambered for 300 savage, if its not at 22" get it cut and re crowned. Might as well get it checkered like on the Ks. That would look sweet

johno

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't look bad at all, any idea how much weight was removed with the wood? Pretty sure I wouldn't go to that much effort for a 75th Anniversary, but if I ever find one of those octagon barreled 99C's it'd be nice to restock or refinish and hunt it. But I can understand you wanting to.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for your input "Big Joe". On a more serious note, johno, where would I get something like that done, in regard to rechambering?? Since I already have it in .308 and it shoot so well, I would not change this one, but I have a few others that I might change. Your input is appreciated. Calhoun, no idea on the wood but the guy who does this sends me photo's sometimes and watching what he does to the stocks, in regard to removing wood, makes me weak in the knee's. Glad I am not there to see him do it but once done, the 99's that start out "clunky" and unrefined sure do look sweet. I know to the purists this is not a good thing to do but I have owned a few 99's made in the 70's and 80's, and always hated the lack of refinement on the stocks. Am pleased so far with this one. I think it will look pretty good with a case colored lever. Any thoughts on the fugly front sight? Never been a fan but that was the style back in the early days, right? Or is the material wrong?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
771 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,052 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.