-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone have any experience with these muzzle-loaders?? I'm thinking about buying a flintlock but I know little to nothing about their quality. Any input would be apprieciated.
<br>
<br>Thanx
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no experience with the Cabelas Hawken. It does look very similar to the Hawken sold by Dixie Gun Works in their catalog, but they list for $265 in there, so maybe not.
<br>
<br>I did just buy a CVA St Louis Hawken in flint about a month ago. I'm very happy with it. Shoots everything (rd balls, sabots, maxi balls and buffalo bullets) very well. It's a 1:48 twist.
<br>
<br> I give 250 for it, but if you shop around, you may beat that. (The guy just opened up the Gun Shop, so I didn't look around too much. I'd like to see him do good.)
<br>
<br>The only other Hawken I looked at was a Traditions. They're priced a little cheaper, but the over-all quality wasn't as good as CVA, IMHO.
<br>
<br>Good luck in whatever you decide to get. Let is know how you like it. My brother is talking about getting into ML too, so I'd appreciate your input.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone know who makes the Hawken rifle for cabelas?
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
avagadro
<br>
<br>Investarms from Spain if I remember right. They are the same people that manufacture for Lyman. If you get the chance compare the Lyman Great Plains rifle to the Cabela's offering it is identical in the lock and trigger. The only real difference is the barrel length and twist. Naturally the furniture is obviously different. The Lyman Deerstalker I think is the exact equivalent to the Cabela's and about the same price. The Cabela's "Sporterized" version is the same rifle with a recoil pad, blued furniture and sling swivels. May be a shade lighter than the Hawken.
<br>
<br>Pat

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
George
<br>
<br>I should have finished the thought. Old age is taking my mind. The quality of these rifles is quite a bit above the CVA, Traditions lines. I had a GPR in .54 percussion with the 1-60 twist (it is now offered in1-32 also) It shot a .535 round ball in a .015 patch over 110 gr FFg black powder very well. IMHO the Lyman(Investarms) is on a par with TC Hawken. I have owned both and could not tell an oz. worthof difference.
<br>
<br>Pat

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,289
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.