Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is your favorite rest for shooting your best, most accurate groups? I do know from shooting spring air rifles that the rest can have huge impacts on accuracy. Asking because recently I have been shooting my .243 with a bipod getting decent results - took it off and shot off a semi hard plastic rest (front) bag back with better results, then put a bag rest on the plastic rest and bag in the back and things improved markedly. Has me wondering if one of the big X type bags may be one of the better rests overall. What do you prefer? Thoughts?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have been using a Caldwell butterfly type bag with a small bag rest for the buttstock with good results. Besides being very stable and forgiving on the bench, it is very portable and I don't feel bad if I set it on the hood of my truck for those impromptu shooting sessions.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The material in a bag has a lot to do with it. If slick, like teflon (BR shooter use teflon tape on theirs, and talcum powder, etc, so the rifle will slide easily).the rifle can slide and not hang up, even for that nanosecond, which effects accuracy. The leather or plain cloth bags can make the rifle hand up. I used a Doktor back bag, with a slick plastic like material on the wings. The front bag is leather with a plastic seat. I'm now using a Eagle brand rest, that I just got. Used to use a, shoot forget the brand, one I bought in 1965, but it was outdated. But the bags make the difference. As you noted, can go from okay to real good, just by changing out the bags. BUT both the front and rear bags should be slick where the rifle rests.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I shot benchrest for years and used a Baldeagle front rest and rear leather bunny ear bag. Still have them and use them on a regular basis.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tisha,

Do you think that putting duct tape over leather shooting bags would be adequate?

Thanks,

Steve

IC B2

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Flour or talcum powder slicks a leather bag right up. ED K

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by centershot
What is your favorite rest for shooting your best, most accurate groups? I do know from shooting spring air rifles that the rest can have huge impacts on accuracy. Asking because recently I have been shooting my .243 with a bipod getting decent results - took it off and shot off a semi hard plastic rest (front) bag back with better results, then put a bag rest on the plastic rest and bag in the back and things improved markedly. Has me wondering if one of the big X type bags may be one of the better rests overall. What do you prefer? Thoughts?

I have never achieved a discernible difference in accuracy in any of my hunting or varmint rigs. Regardless of whether I use a pack, bipod, or front rest.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hart Rest 17 lbs
Bunny Ear rear bag

Use Suave Antiperspirant with Talc to get the powder on the bag. Lot easier to apply in windy conditions than dry powder.

Be sure to remove sling studs. Or, at least make sure they don't get into the bag in recoil on either end.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Caldwell bags most of the time but i'm sure there are better ones available

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
glad you asked i have been wondering same thing.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
With round slim fore arm rifles I don't like the bench rest type rest -those type stocks don't ride the bags well.
I do like bench type rest when shooting a rifle with a wide flat stock.

I have a small size bulls bag -Caldwell I believe- it keeps the slender fore arm stocks from canting . That and a rabbit ear caldwell rear bag are my favorite set up.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Caldwell green canvas front bag, leather bunny ear rear works for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This what I have used for a long time with great results.

[Linked Image]

YMMV

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I worked in a solder factory for years and acquired a set of coin bags. I filled them with kitty litter, tied them off with electrical ties and . . Viola! ( How'd she get in here?)

When I made bags for my deer blinds, I used the legs of old blue jeans and closed off an end with a sewing machine, filled them with kitty litter and then sewed up the other end.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Caldwell 15 pound front w/ 2 tops. 1 for flat, 1 for rounded. Bunny ear rear.

[Linked Image]

Swifty
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I rarely use a front rest anymore, most of my shooting is done off a bipod. I use various rear bags and sometimes no rear bag. Depending on gun. I have an old Hoppes front rest a with leather front bag ,when I do use a front rest.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Maybe you might try one of my Front rest tops on about any heavy base. For a front bag I prefer a Protector bag with slippery cloth. I use a tall rabbit ear bag on the rear.
Shown is a shot of our early model rest top on a Bald Eagle base. Our new models have a longer joystick. It is a coaxial rest and offers 22" of vertical and horizontal movement.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by butchlambert1; 01/17/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dumb question about bipods, but do you put the legs trailing or forward?
I use shooting sticks a lot, and I always "trail" them so the front doesn't jump.
Does it matter?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm not real picky:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WTF are you guys gonna do, if'n ya have a flat on the way to the range? my rest can do double-duty to jack up the car.....

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.