Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WD40 is good for something where every few years you say, "chit that needs oil"

Garage doors, locks, etc. Also good for cleaning bugs off the front of cars.

Barbarian Dan suggested Ballistol once for black powder guns, and I've started using it more often. It seems to have many of the benefits of WD40, but is said to never gum up.

Things that absolutely, positively have to work, like guns - use stuff made for them. Or Mobil 1.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The reason the halibut etc. fishmen like it is that it is made from menhaden oil. Fish oil is the ingredient that lets it displace water. WD-40, water displacement 40 th formula. It is really poor for just about every other use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slymule
I've used it for probably 20 years as a flea spray for my dogs...works amazing. Spray them down from head to toe and I usually try rubbing it in a little, but its hard to hold on to a dog sprayed with WD-40 cuz they immediately start wallowing around in the grass to get rid of the itching as every flea on them tries to escape to no avail - kills them instantly, makes for a nice shiny coat, and it lasts for weeks. Try it, you'll be amazed if your in an area thats bad for fleas.

I have also used it as a previous poster stated for combing out rat tails and knots in the manes and tails of horses - works really slick.

How do they do around open flames?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I used a lot of WD-40 when I lived on Florida's Atlantic shore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Sherp, it gums by itself.

I don't like rusty shovels (or other tools for that matter). After using one it gets a shot of WD-40, After a month in the shed what runs down to the bottom ends up looking like white wax. Still a soft consistency. NO rust though.

Seen that happen with LSA & Ballistol. I think Ballistol is known to do that, but then go back to a liquid state when it starts warming up.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I like Ballistol better than WD-40 for guns, but use a lot of WD-40. Ballistol won't gum up with BP like WD-40, it's a non petrol product unlike WD-40.

One great use of WD-40 not mentioned so far is as a cutting fluid when drilling, etc. I use the red spout hooked to the nozzle to flush metal chips when drilling steel. It also keeps the drill bit cool and keep it from galling.

Places I do NOT use WD-40 are fine parts such as gun triggers, locks. etc. NEVER spray WD-40 into a lock, use graphite.

Like Redneck said, I've had to remove WD-40 "varnish" from friends gun parts and it's not an easy job. It's hard to dissolve that stuff with solvents and usually means full disassembly with manual cleaning of each part.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of truckers use it routinely, especially in winter. A shot in each end of the light cord cleans the contacts and prevents a lot of lighting problems. It's recommended for all trailer light cords, not just trucks. Repeat occasionally if you're driving in rain or snow...or especially on salted roads.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I like Ballistol better than WD-40 for guns, but use a lot of WD-40. Ballistol won't gum up with BP like WD-40, it's a non petrol product unlike WD-40

Not gummy if you are meaning sticky, but more like a grease instead of an oil after it sits awhile in my experience.

Been using it close to 20 years(including some Lowe's Home Improvement stores clearanced for cheap after apparently not going over well in that market), but never really was happy with it's performance until I read about using it in a manner similar to seasoning and caring for cast iron. In the past, I would use various cleaners along with it and it didn't seem to do anything better than anything else. About 2 years ago I followed the advice and cleaned the bore and everything else down to bare metal and used Ballistol only after that and have been very impressed to say the least.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The greatest thing about WD-40 is that it's cheap. It's a decent enough penetrating oil, but there certainly are better out there. It's not a good preservative for preventing rust, but it's damn good at displacing water. It's a decent lubricant in very cold weather, because it won't start getting gummy until about -20 degrees.

I also found that it's a very good cutting oil for aluminum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Docbill
The reason the halibut etc. fishmen like it is that it is made from menhaden oil. Fish oil is the ingredient that lets it displace water. WD-40, water displacement 40 th formula. It is really poor for just about every other use.

That was BS the first time it was posted and disproven, and it's still BS now

It's amazing how people can be connected to the greatest source of information ever known to man, but they still don't bother looking anything up before posting misinformation

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

Myth: WD-40οΏ½ contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40οΏ½. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish.

Sorry CharlieοΏ½, it just ainοΏ½t so.

Last edited by Snyper; 01/19/15.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use it on my dirtbikes. It works great for removing grease and chain lube and exhaust spooge. It even gets that stuff of decades old vintage dirt bikes. I use Shout laundry pre-spotter after that to clean the WD40 off.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Here's a link to the MSDS for WD40. No menhaden oil, no fish oil, no truth to the myth.

www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/sds/mup/wd-40-multi-use-product-aerosol-sds-us-ghs-7-20-14.pdf

Last edited by natman; 01/19/15.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

From the WD-40 website:

Myth: WD-40οΏ½ contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us for years that they've caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40οΏ½. We believe this legend came from folks assuming the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry CharlieοΏ½, it just ainοΏ½t so.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And, there are those who swear WD-40 helps arthritis...

And, did someone say it was cheap...??

I've zapped wasps with it, sprayed squeaky swivel chairs in box blinds.

If carried it in a pack, put it in a zip lock bag. That stuff turned loose in a pack with binoculars, etc. leaves a lot to be desired...

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I've zapped wasps with it ...

I use WD-40 on wasps for preference. Squirt a flying wasp with wasp spray and he just might get you. Hit him with a tiny bit of WD-40 and he will lose interest in everything, right now.

It just ruins a nest, fast.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Missed the posts that beat me to it.

Dang.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's like a 16 oz hammer, if it's the only tool you own, every problem looks like a nail. When I was a kid and didn't know any better I used it on everything as I didn't know any better.

About the only thing I use it for anymore is combined with 0000 steel wool as a rust remover.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My ex wife!

JD338

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I like Ballistol better than WD-40 for guns, but use a lot of WD-40. Ballistol won't gum up with BP like WD-40, it's a non petrol product unlike WD-40.

One great use of WD-40 not mentioned so far is as a cutting fluid when drilling, etc. I use the red spout hooked to the nozzle to flush metal chips when drilling steel. It also keeps the drill bit cool and keep it from galling.

Places I do NOT use WD-40 are fine parts such as gun triggers, locks. etc. NEVER spray WD-40 into a lock, use graphite.

Like Redneck said, I've had to remove WD-40 "varnish" from friends gun parts and it's not an easy job. It's hard to dissolve that stuff with solvents and usually means full disassembly with manual cleaning of each part.

DF
And here's a prime example:

[Linked Image]

Customer brought in two guns late last week - wanted 'em checked over and cleaned.. Started on this M700 15 mns ago.. The rifle - on the outside - looked like new. Then I tried to remove the bolt.. The bolt stop wouldn't budge.. Removed the stock and noted this crap all over the trigger group, the bolt stop and receiver.. It took a powered brush to clean up the bolt stop. Then I recalled this thread and stopped to take a pic of the rest..

When I drove out the pins, the sear barely moved - while, under normal, clean circumstances it pivots easily and the spring drops out.. I had to grab that with a needle-nose to remove it..

This guy is lucky he didn't try to chamber a round..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And here's the firing pin... No wonder he complained a bit of 'light strikes'...

[Linked Image]

Between that gummed-up trigger and a gummed-up firing pin - it's a wonder it worked at all..

FWIW...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.