Print Thread
Hop To
Page 74 of 120 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 119 120
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Not to get all theraputic on you, but can you deadlift without pain?

Is your squat movement painful even with very little (bare bar) weight?

What are the credentials of your PTs? Do they squat?

Originally Posted by smokepole
5. I have a torqued knee with ACL reconstruction and a torn meniscus that's mildly arthritic and squats with a barbell are painful and therefore not recommended by a few different trainers I've worked with (professionals), even with an elevated heel.

So I'm stuck with a couple squat machines that don't make my knee hurt, and have to lay off even those from time to time.

I do what I can though.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They're all professional trainers, some DPTs. some MSs, two have power lifted competitively. Yes, they squat, and it was the first thing they asked me to do.

Sometimes the squat movement is painful with zero weight, like when I do BOSU ball squats between sets on the squat machines.

I can do deadlifts.

I can also do a couple machines, as long as I don't go past about 90 degrees.

PS, I won't be doing anything that requires lifting with both arms for a while, recovering from rotator cuff surgery.

Last edited by smokepole; 01/15/15.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Looks like we're posting while we're posting...

You're not wrong about carrying packs in the mountains. That's the coup de grace of my hunting training, but I do it only in a couple of weeks leading up to hunting season - time sufficient to harden my feet and strengthen my lower legs. That time is also sufficient to get my wind back for the long uphill pull. This is more an issue of convenience than anything - the closest hill to where I live is 20 miles and a long drive away, up here at work the brooks range is quite a ways south.

The big strength puts a few things in your favor. You can generally do more of a given movement, if that movement requires less of your overall strength. This is particularly true when loaded heavy. I think this translates gym time into the long slog, where the hard uphill pull doesn't wear you down because it doesn't require a relatively large part of your overall strength. I don't go into a big hunt cold from a cardio standpoint - see the paragraph above.

You might be a big strong SOB - so I don't know if you will relate to this. I am a fair bit stronger than the average guy, and the gym effort required to squat and clean what I'm doing now leaves me a bit queasy when done. I don't do much else than front squats, deads and standing press one day, back squats, cleans and bench press the alternate. There is a lot of hard work happening. There is a lot of time spent standing around with a very elevated heart rate. It is not comfortable.

I'll stretch the volume a bit as the season nears - sets of 15 instead of 8 for squats. That is *really* uncomfortable.

What little upper body work I do (presses, pullups and chins) is augmented by very strong trapezii and lats from cleaning and deadlifting. Heavy packs (80+ lbs) worn for hours aren't uncomfortable to me, even if I've not worn one for a long time.

Bottom line, IMO the average guy will get more bang for his buck in time spent doing weights and intervals than doing long slow things, but the long slow things have their place in polishing up before the main event. The strength and interval work puts you in position to quickly acquire whatever capacity you might be missing.

Regarding mimicing mountain movements - my next planned acquisition is a prowler.

Good one!! Here's a question I've been pondering lately though.

I understand and agree with the need for strength training like you and others have outlined. I also think the best way to get in shape for carrying heavy packs in the mtns is to carry heavy packs in the mtns.

But most of us can't do that as much as we'd like, so we're stuck with the gym. So here's my question: shouldn't the workouts in the gym mimic (as closely as possible) the activity we're training for?

When I read about your workouts and Pointers, I know they're good for building and maintaining strength, but it seems that compared to humping loads in the mountains, they are higher intensity but shorter duration. Humping loads many times seems more like a multi-hour slog that's not as intense.

So my question is, are high-intensity, short duration strength training sessions the best way to train for hauling loads? Seems to me that every now and then, you'd want to work in some sessions that were lower intensity, but 2 hours or so long, to build endurance?

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I don't provide the updates indicating that between each lift day I either set the treadmill at 15% and alternate forward uphill for 4 minutes at 3.5 mph and backward uphill (to mimic going downhill...) at 2 mph for 2 minutes, for about a half hour. Or, I'll run 1/4 mile at 11 or 12 mph on the treadmill, starting every three minutes for a mile.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vek

Bottom line, IMO the average guy will get more bang for his buck in time spent doing weights and intervals than doing long slow things, but the long slow things have their place in polishing up before the main event. The strength and interval work puts you in position to quickly acquire whatever capacity you might be missing.

Makes sense, thanks for taking the time to write that up.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

When I read about your workouts and Pointers

Vek and I are in very different leagues when it comes to strength and strength training. That said, the programming I did helped me tremendously this past fall, even if I did have two cake pack outs. The first way it helped, IMO, is what Vek posted. Something that takes less than full strength you can do longer. Secondly, I felt like the high intensity short duration stuff allows me to recover faster. I think these two things translate very well humping a pack...for ME.

That said to get to Vek's suggested numbers I'd have to get to a 550+ squat and a near 600# deadlift. I'm just too fat. That said I do plan on working more this year on pure strength.

Now to today's cluster of a workout:
Every minute on the minute for 6 minutes

5 Muscle-ups OR
5 pullups & 5 ring dips

I got ZERO reps. Jumping or banded pullups weren't allowed today, so I worked as hard as I could to get A, yes 1, pullup and failed...

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Front squat 8 x 185, 225, 225
Deadlift 5 x 315, 315, 315
Standing press 6 x 135, 135, 135

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Backsquat:
5-5-5-3-3-3-1-1-1
225#-245#-275#-295#-315#-335#-355#-365#-375#

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Been doing what I can with one good arm.

Also been reading some good books. One by an Alaskan sheep guide who seems to know his stuff. He was talking about going into a hunt with a few lbs. of fat reserves, since he will normally lose 5-10 lbs on a week+ hunt. I would tend to agree because I typically lose 5+ pounds on a good hunt too.

Upshot is, a lot of the stuff you read about workouts that pertains to cutting body fat % may not be a good idea for a week+ hunt in the mountains where you don't have the luxury of unlimited food.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the first good news I have read on this post, thanks for confirming I am on the right path! I'm good for a month long hunt at least right now.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Everything's a tradeoff--the benefit of the extra calories on your waist vs. lugging extra pounds up the hill...

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I lost about 13 lbs on a sheep hunt. Started out over 220, came back at 208.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did that on my first ever elk hunt years ago. Good memories. Will be ready for fall this year, got a few things that need chasing after a long absence.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Are we still talking hunting here?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Vek, at one point, I could squat your (first) warmup set! I'm so proud of myself.

Smoke, what book are you reading?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gotcha. When are you going to take the plunge and book a trip?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Already paid my deposit, gonna hunt starting August 10th.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, I may have to check that out. Got some good DVDs too, awesome country that.

Page 74 of 120 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.