Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by K1500
Got a deer back from a large local butcher...

How big a boy is he? grin

Maybe it wasn't your deer that you got back.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If it was indeed a button buck, the deer was probably 8 to 5 months old. The following year when the animal is 1.5 years old, it should at least have spikes.

At 2.5 years old a buck is sexually mature and is a 'full size' deer.

I dunno what to tell ya about your rot snatch smelling jerky.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steve4102
I don't think it's from previously smoked fish. Smoked fish tastes good, it doesn't taste rotten. The rotten fish taste is from something that went rancid, or just a HS marinade that sucks no matter

I tend to agree. Perhaps they "cooked" the meat instead of jerked. Then it begins to rot as soon as temperature/moisture allow...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Esox357
Originally Posted by DLSguide
I still can't get passed the 2.5 year old button buck statement. That is ridiculous. Did You cape it? I guess you won't use that meat processor anymore.

Yep sounds like BS to me! I have eaten older deer and other than being "tough" the venison tasted fine!

Mature bucks that are killed in the rut dont taste fine to me.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have not used a commercial processor in years, and when I did I never had them make jerky. It sounds as though your venison either came in contact with something foul or the marinade was crappy. Next time why not make your own that way you have complete control over the process. You don't need any fancy or expensive equipment, I slice my venison about like thick sliced bacon. Marinate it 24-48 hours and dry it in the oven on the lowest temperature setting till it is as dry as you prefer. Sometimes I smoke it with Alderwood, if I am in a hurry I just add some liquid smoke. Never had a bad batch yet, I always use steak to make my jerky not junk cuts. I figure if I am going to expend the time and effort, I want a good result.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Your meat rotted, or began decomposition, before the curing process. Would be interested in Muledeers comments, or his Eileen's, since they have a world of expertise in that area.

Regarding your 2.5 year old button.....uh, no.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
your butcher [bleep] up your meat.who cares how old your button buck was. all my deer are tender and taste fine if the meat is done right.cubed,canned,bologna,deer snack sticks. i've have eatin lots of mature rutting bucks that were just as good as a young doe if processed right.

i have buddies that take there deer to these places all the time.i tell them that with burger i would bet they never get there own meat back . they just dump it all together and grind it.some of the shops near me do 600-700 deer a season .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102

When my friends and family taste my sausage they are always amazed with the flavor and texture. Comments are usually, wow, that's really good, how cum the sausage I had made at xxxxx meat shop doesn't taste like that?

You guys all have to admit......you laughed your ass off at this paragraph, like I did.
'Specially on the crotch rot of my jerky thread......... Thanks, Boys.

I'm with the advice to take some to the cutter and have him smell/eat it.
Then learn your lesson and process yourself.
I think it's kinda fun.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Perhaps he smoked some fish in the same unit he dried your jerky in.

One of my mom's fellow teachers decided that her class should experience the good, old-fashioned fun of making anise candy. She brought the necessary equipment and ingredients from home and commandeered the home-ec room for the event. When it was done and cooled, she broke it into pieces and passed them around. The unanimous opinion was that, the pioneers be damned, it was the most god-awful stuff anyone had ever tasted. (Edythe did not sample any herself.) On the drive home, she expounded upon the unnappreciative nature of today's youth, not to mention their spoiled appetites that could not recognize a traditional treat. Upon entering her house, she found the pans that she had greased for the anise. What were missing were the pans that she had used to make salmon patties the night before.

I laughed my a$$ off at this post laugh

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If smells like cologne leave it alone
If it smells like fish it's an edible dish

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has DeFlave been near your jerky?

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am hoping it's the marinade that was nasty. I am defrosting some steak so we will see. I have processed the last few deer I killed and they tasted just fine, however I lack a grinder, etc and I have no place to hang the deer in warmer weather. I have also used other processors (not in the local area) with good results. I guess I hit the easy button and it bit me. Funny thing was two guys working when I dropped it off commented on how nice and clean the dressing job was. As you may imagine, they probably see lots of nasty stuff. They both 'assured' me you get your deer back. If the steaks and roasts are good, it will be ok. I mostly feel bad because it was my daughters first deer and I don't want her to be turned off by it. In any event, thanks for the advice, and no...Travis has not been near it!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Chock it up as a loss. Not your fault.

Take $200 and run down to Sams or Costco. Tell your daughter that's her deer.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Has DeFlave been near your jerky?

In that case it would smell like a man and taste like a Snickers.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by joken2
Years ago I used a processor that when I picked up my packaged deer I wound up with almost as much meat by weight as what my deer weighed field dressed. Easily a good 140-150lbs of butchered and ground meat from a deer that weighed about 175lbs field dressed. The amount of steaks, roasts, loin and tenderloin looked correct but I got a BUNCH more ground venison than I normally should have. Only thing I could figure is maybe they finished up with my deer and threw some of the ground meat they had left over from other folks deer into my box and probably a couple of others too so they could clean up their cooler, shop and equipment. It all tasted good with no unusual odor.

Don't know about the Deer in KY, but the deer here in MN taste like chit if you do not remove all the fat, I mean all of it.

So when making burger(or having it made) it is to lean to just grind up and call it Burger. There has to be some "fat" added. Most of the shops around here will "grind" your Venison or they will make Venison Burger. To make "Burger",They add fatty beef, usually chuck to the venison. Most shops do a 50/50 blend. So if you bring them 25 pounds of cleaned lean Venison you will end up with 50 pounds of Burger.

Is this a possibility as to why you ended up with "more"?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I am hoping it's the marinade that was nasty. I am defrosting some steak so we will see. I have processed the last few deer I killed and they tasted just fine, however I lack a grinder, etc and I have no place to hang the deer in warmer weather. I have also used other processors (not in the local area) with good results. I guess I hit the easy button and it bit me. Funny thing was two guys working when I dropped it off commented on how nice and clean the dressing job was. As you may imagine, they probably see lots of nasty stuff. They both 'assured' me you get your deer back. If the steaks and roasts are good, it will be ok. I mostly feel bad because it was my daughters first deer and I don't want her to be turned off by it. In any event, thanks for the advice, and no...Travis has not been near it!

FWIW I don't have a place to hang deer either. Its typically warm here during season. Rare to be cool enough to hang one overnight.

But we ice our deer, and cut them about 7-10 days later. Works fine on the aging process anyway.

I made the mistake of in a hurry one year, even though I had the equipment... never again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

How warm was it when she shot this deer and how long was it before the hide was removed and the meat allowed to cool down?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Couple of other comments,

There can be a 2.5 yo button buck.. I've seen a few over the years. THey are hard horned and just knots or nubs. Not sure if broke in velvet and never finished or just pure trash but it happens.

As to mature bucks being tasty and tender when processed right, I'd sure like to know the secret... flavor after aging has been ok, but different. And its hard to get rid of the tough, unless tenderized really well or burgered..

I suspect its why you don't buy prime ribeye cuts off an 12 year old 2000 pound bull either... if they can't make it right at a processor, you sure can't at home.

Heck you can see and smell the difference from a 6 plus year old buck and a 2 year old animal every time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shot in the am around 55-65 degrees. Dropped off gutted and clean but not skinned about 90 mins later. The butcher insisted they wanted to skin it. I have no idea what happened and when it happened after I dropped it off. Until I try a steak this weekend I won't know the whole story. It was an acorn fed deer so that may be part of it. I've had deer taste strong, but rotten fish is another thing. In any event, I guess it is back to processing myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Chock it up as a loss. Not your fault.

Take $200 and run down to Sams or Costco. Tell your daughter that's her deer.

Travis

See above...

Same thing happened to my kids first buck. I was busy and decided to try a place out and get some jerky made. It sucked seriously.

I just made some of my own jerky later from the same buck that turned out great and chit-canned the stuff that I paid for.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,622
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.