Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I've been using a Safepacker but I'm considering a paddle holster for use on my backpack belts (padded Kifaru, non-live wing MR). I would like to be able to remove the holster and put it in my waistband if I drop the pack without a lot of noise (velcro) or unstrapping fuss.

I'm looking at Safariland ALS as I would like positive retention when in the brush. Fobus might be considered too.
Would the Safariland work well? I don't carry full time so this is really not a concealment issue.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I personally would not trust a valuable handgun to a paddle holster on a a backpack belt. I have had paddle holsters, and good ones, come off under less rigorous demands and movement than backpacking.

I would, and have, simply spend the money for two holsters. One that is left on the pack and one that goes on the belt and stays there.

In both cases, the obvious choice for me has been a pancake style holster to keep the weight of the handgun close to my body so that its wieght does not have the advantage of leverage against me in addition to its own real dead weight.

I have carried a 329PD, Charter Arms 44, and several full sized and commander sized 1911 in these fashions. Having two pancake holsters is a lot less headache and grief than losing a handgun on a trail or in a creek crossing.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
ALS holsters rock but I strongly urge you to consider a Hill People Gear Kit Bag that rides on your chest. Check out their site and be advise they have two versions that have PALS on the front.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by safariman
I personally would not trust a valuable handgun to a paddle holster on a a backpack belt.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have a firearm selected? That would make a lot of difference to me.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glocktard, good video there that makes the point well.

Of all the various holsters I have tried since beginning to carry in 1991, the Paddle types are by far my least favorite.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's what I would use, assuming I could find one to fit the gun.

Model 6379 ALS� Concealment Clip-On Belt Holster

http://www.safariland.com/belt-slide/model-6379-als-concealment-clip-on-belt-holster-28103.html

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by LostArra
I've been using a Safepacker but I'm considering a paddle holster for use on my backpack belts (padded Kifaru, non-live wing MR). I would like to be able to remove the holster and put it in my waistband if I drop the pack without a lot of noise (velcro) or unstrapping fuss.

I'm looking at Safariland ALS as I would like positive retention when in the brush. Fobus might be considered too.
Would the Safariland work well? I don't carry full time so this is really not a concealment issue.

Thanks

I have and use the ALS, Fobus, and the SERPA. They are all great for attaching to a pack belt but I think the Fobus is probably the most user friendly. The plastic bends more easier and works well on thick belts.

The molding on an ALS paddle is contoured pretty sharply. Meaning it is not a simple concave. It curves inward on the front of your hip and this may get tiresome on long hikes for you.

If you want to try the paddle route, I'd highly recommend giving a Fobus a try. It's a $20.00 experiment, so if you don't like it, no big deal. The ALS is bad ass, but they ain't cheap.

I have a HP Kit Bag and they do work very well. But I much prefer carrying my sidearms strong side, and the paddle is the easiest way to get that done when wearing a pack.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Here's what I would use, assuming I could find one to fit the gun.

Model 6379 ALS� Concealment Clip-On Belt Holster

http://www.safariland.com/belt-slide/model-6379-als-concealment-clip-on-belt-holster-28103.html

That clip ain't going to cut it on most pack belts.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fobus is about as good as it gets in a paddle holster.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I personally would not trust a valuable handgun to a paddle holster on a a backpack belt. I have had paddle holsters, and good ones, come off under less rigorous demands and movement than backpacking.

I would, and have, simply spend the money for two holsters. One that is left on the pack and one that goes on the belt and stays there.

In both cases, the obvious choice for me has been a pancake style holster to keep the weight of the handgun close to my body so that its wieght does not have the advantage of leverage against me in addition to its own real dead weight.

I have carried a 329PD, Charter Arms 44, and several full sized and commander sized 1911 in these fashions. Having two pancake holsters is a lot less headache and grief than losing a handgun on a trail or in a creek crossing.

What pancake holster and pack are you using that allows the hip belt to thread through the holster?

Travis

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave

What pancake holster and pack are you using that allows the hip belt to thread through the holster?

Travis

An uber-cool blackhawk sportster, and a fieldline. Both purchased at the local mission...errr walmart

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've tried the plastic paddle holster on pack belt idea, and I wasn't impressed with any aspect of it. Didn't matter much how I arranged it - it just isn't a great option. I went to carrying either in a bandoleer holster or a chest pack, depending on the size of the gun.

I also tried putting a belt scabbard on the web portion of the pack belt (on mine, you can undo the webbing strap from the buckle and thread the holster on ) and I didn't like much that either. It just wasn't all that secure, and put the gun in a less-than-optimal position.

I know some guys go to military style flap holsters with a drop extension to get the gun below the pack belt, but that doesn't appeal to me either for various reasons. At least it's secure though, and works as advertised (so I hear). I considered having a custom holster made to fit the thick padded pack belt - but it just doesn't seem to be a priority for me. And it would be pack-specific anyway, which doesn't get me excited when I consider the probability of upgrading a pack.

I guess you have to ask yourself just how fast do you need to get to your gun while wearing a heavy pack, vs how likely are you to lose or damage the gun while holstered on the pack belt. In my case, the answers go against belt carry with a heavy pack.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Fobus would work good if you put a rubber band around the paddle and body. But the Fobus wont keep crud out. I like a top flap holster instead. Google "AMS holsters" for a cheap holter easily modified.
https://sites.google.com/site/hobby...pd-info/pouch_keepers.JPG?attredirects=0

Last edited by dla; 01/26/15.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For me the solution depends on what I am carrying and where I am. The safepacker's one big advantage is that it hides the weapon so you don't wig out the natives.

I have a Galico thumbbreak for my S&W 360 and I can wear it on my belt or on the hipbelt of my pack. I use the straps that snug the pack to the hipbelt to secure the holster on my hiking pack. I wanted the thumbbreak because when its on my pack I can't feel the gun and I didn't want to drop it and not know. Its a simple, fairly cheap system, but requires you to have a way to attach it the hipbelt.

I also have two guides choice chest holsters (one for my bisley 45/single 6 and the other for my 1911's). To my mind,except for the ability to hide the fact I am carrying a firearm, this is the superior set up, first it carries the weight of the firearm better than my hip, I can wear the same set up, pack/no pack without the hassle of moving the holster and its always on the outside even if I wear a rain jacket or parka. Because of where the firearm rides I would notice it if it did come out of the holster (although the holster does have a retention strap).

I make and modify gear when it doesn't suit me and I have given some thought of whipping up the same strap system that the Guides choice uses using some 1" nylon, to covert my safepacker into a "chest" holster. This might be the best of both worlds for hiking among the libs. It might work well for carry in the civilized world in the summer. These days 95% of folks would just take the safepacker as a phone/pad case

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I have not been able to use ANY backpack for a couple of years, but when I could, the hip belt on my Eberlestock backpack has a smaller diameter outer belt to use in atatching other accessories. My Monster Fanny pack, which I used more often, has the same feature.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I gotta ask; I assume you're bring the gun for protection. If that's the case, why put it someplace you can't get at it?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Spike12
I gotta ask; I assume you're bring the gun for protection. If that's the case, why put it someplace you can't get at it?

Why can't you get at a paddle holster attached to a hip belt?

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Who are you asking? I don't see anyone having that problem.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Who are you asking? I don't see anyone having that problem.

maybe this by noKnees: "I wanted the thumbbreak because when its on my pack I can't feel the gun and I didn't want to drop it and not know."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.