Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
New Sniper Record: 173 Confirmed kills!

173 Confirmed Kills

I sure hope they keeps this guys identity under wraps!

" A Royal Marine has been revealed as the world's most lethal military sniper.

The Briton is understood to have recorded most of his 173 confirmed kills during tours of Afghanistan in 2006/7 and has also served in Iraq.

Most of his killings took place during a six-month tour of Afghanistan and he is said to have hit more than 90 Taliban fighters in a single day, according to The Sun.

His reported death toll puts the corporal, said to be married and from southern England, ahead of US Navy SEAL commando Chris Kyle, who had 160 confirmed kills to make him the most lethal US sniper.

However, sources told the newspaper the British marine's figure of 173 is "conservative", with unconfirmed killings believed to take his total even higher.

The sniper, whose identity has not been disclosed, is understood to have served in the Royal Navy's elite unit for more than a decade.

"He will never talk about it unless he is challenged directly, then he is never boastful of what has happened — but he is not ashamed either," source told the Sun.

"Every shot was judged and balanced, not indiscriminate. He always saw the men between the cross hairs as humans not as targets.

"He is not interested in scores or kill counts. He took no satisfaction in the job he had to do."

They added: "He had a unique job at a unique time. He must be the most lethal sniper in the world. But that is not a title he would seek out or revel in."

Kyle's exploits are the subject of a new film called American Sniper, starring Bradley Cooper.

The Hollywood biopic of Kyle, who was killed in 2013 on a shooting range in the US, has been nominated for two Oscars.

It has been a hit at the US box office, making £166m ($249m) in only three weeks of cinema release.

Many commentators have suggested the popularity of the film in the US market can be attributed to an appetite for "patriotic" war dramas.

However, the Clint Eastwood-directed film has faced criticism that it glorifies murder and serves as war propaganda.

Leading the criticism of the film was Michael Moore, the Left-wing film-maker, who said that his own uncle had been killed by a Japanese sniper in the Second World War.

He described them as “cowards” who did not “believe in a fair fight”. But his remarks were disputed by many veterans, who pointed out that snipers often operate behind enemy lines with only limited chance of back-up if their cover is blown.

America’s First Lady, Michelle Obama, was among those to defend American Sniper against claims of glamorising violence and Islamophobia.
"

BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

His reported death toll puts the corporal,.....

The sniper, whose identity has not been disclosed, is understood to have served in the Royal Navy's elite unit for more than a decade.

In for a decade(+?) and only a corporal?

How is the rank structure there?

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE

His reported death toll puts the corporal,.....

In for a decade(+?) and only a corporal?

How is the rank structure there?

That doesn't sound particularly unusual and there could be any number reasons, too many to speculate really..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It may be a new record for the Royal Navy, but certainly not a new record as far as sniper kills.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It may be a new record for the Royal Navy, but certainly not a new record as far as sniper kills.

Would you care to elaborate who has higher?
(editted to add I ask that in relation to recent conflicts as I know some German and Russians notched up impressive scoires during WW2)

Last edited by Pete E; 02/02/15.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pete E

... he is said to have hit more than 90 Taliban fighters in a single day, according to The Sun.

Seriously? Over half his kills in one day. Sounds like he found a lemming herd.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who cares?

Sounds like a clear cut case of monkey see-monkey do to me. I highly doubt the timing is a coincidence.

Just like the "longest confirmed kill shot". It's all quite pitiful, as are those who feel it to be some kind of competition.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pete is this the same sniper that has the official longest shot as well?

The Phrase " confirmed kills" is not a very deliberate means of creating a tally. I'm sure plenty of the enemy targets shot that manage to crawl away and hide eventually die. Further more, It's not as if they send in a team to check on the results of every shot.

I would not doubt that the amount of kills number in the hundreds for ordinary day in day out snipers. They are in a target rich environment many times.

The article says he hit 90 in a single day. The remaining 9 years and 364 days must have been pretty slow by that measure! I'll venture a guess this guy pulled the trigger over a thousand times in a decade.

If you ever find the story of the Brit that picked off the Taliban army bearing down on a cornered group of American soldiers from over 3k's away it's a brilliant read. Neither the Taliban nor the Americans could figure out how the taliban solders were being picked off one after another. The Brit and the spotter together ran the numbers and picked off the entire group allowing the Americans pinned down to escape.

All the countries involved have supported and helped one another for a very long time over there. It's not Just America, the UK Australians etc. they have all done a great job as a single team.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paladin

... he is said to have hit more than 90 Taliban fighters in a single day, according to The Sun.

Perhaps thats the day they let him play with an MLRS! grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very nicely done.

Haters gonna hate as they say these days, but I say job well done.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Would you care to elaborate who has higher?
(editted to add I ask that in relation to recent conflicts as I know some German and Russians notched up impressive scoires during WW2)

Many have more kills.

This is just the Soviets mentioned.

Soviet[edit]
Semyon Nomokonov (1900 – 1973), a Soviet World War II sniper with 367 logged kills.[21]
Fyodor Okhlopkov (1908 – 1968), was one of the most effective Soviet snipers, credited with 423 confirmed kills during World War II.[18]
Lyudmila Pavlichenko (1916 – 1974), was the greatest female sniper. She served the Soviet army and has 309 confirmed kills.[18]
Ivan Sidorenko (1919 – 1994), credited with over 500 kills during the Second World War.
Vasily Zaytsev (1915 – 1991), a Soviet sniper who fought at the Battle of Stalingrad. Zaytsev is credited with 242 kills (including 11 snipers).[18]
Nikolay Yakovlevich Ilyin 496 kills

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snipers

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Pete is this the same sniper that has the official longest shot as well?

The Phrase " confirmed kills" is not a very deliberate means of creating a tally. I'm sure plenty of the enemy targets shot that manage to crawl away and hide eventually die. Further more, It's not as if they send in a team to check on the results of every shot.

I would not doubt that the amount of kills number in the hundreds for ordinary day in day out snipers. They are in a target rich environment many times.

The article says he hit 90 in a single day. The remaining 9 years and 364 days must have been pretty slow by that measure! I'll venture a guess this guy pulled the trigger over a thousand times in a decade.

If you ever find the story of the Brit that picked off the Taliban army bearing down on a cornered group of American soldiers from over 3k's away it's a brilliant read. Neither the Taliban nor the Americans could figure out how the taliban solders were being picked off one after another. The Brit and the spotter together ran the numbers and picked off the entire group allowing the Americans pinned down to escape.

All the countries involved have supported and helped one another for a very long time over there. It's not Just America, the UK Australians etc. they have all done a great job as a single team.

I don’t think it’s the same guy, although I could be wrong..
I haven’t read that particular account, but looking “across the board”, there is no doubt that “we”, (Brits, Canadians and Yanks) are producing some exceptionally talented snipers and add to that the target rich environment and the advances in modern technology, we really are in a golden age for the Military sniper..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rockinbar, I take EVERY claim of Soviet sniper totals with a tablespoon of salt.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Paladin

Perhaps thats the day they let him play with an MLRS! grin

Too bad he couldn't have done that every day during his whole tour.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The sniper, whose identity has not been disclosed, is understood to have served in the Royal Navy's elite unit for more than a decade

A dedicated guy quietly serving his country, who prob'ly isn't comfortable with even this much disclosure.

But.. with so many people around him who must know who he is, seems like his name has gotta get out sooner or later frown

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This Finnish guy piled them up during the winter war.

http://www.simohayha.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

..and took one in the face.

Last edited by SBTCO; 02/02/15.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear there is a white guy is S. Africa who picked off 650 ring-nosed monkeys with a blow gun and poisoned darts.

But he is much too humble to take credit..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Rockinbar, I take EVERY claim of Soviet sniper totals with a tablespoon of salt.

grain of salt definitely BUT the eastern front was an extremely target rich environment too....some ways more so than our troops faced the last 10 years....so wouldnt put them as impossible either

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
And to think the Brits did`nt think too much of us when we capped their officers on purpose before we kicked them out!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Soviets?
I seem to recall a guy/s in Finland who picked off scores of commie soldiers when they were running their war of aggression against Finland.

Here is a lead to the guy:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
Simo "Simuna" Häyhä - 505 confirmed sniper kills. The ruskys referred to him as the "White Death".

Last edited by Penobscot_99; 02/02/15. Reason: yep
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.