Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ATROX Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just was wondering if anyone had any luck with these??? These will be close shots, stalking mostly in thick brush.
Give me your thoughts.....

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I killed two hogs several years ago in Florida using 20 gauge sabot slugs. They did the job. I prefer to shoot in the next if I can catch them in the clear and standing.

ATROX Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Also, wanted to ask what the advantage would be for me to buy a rifled slug barrel? I'm using a Benelli M2 field smooth barrel. I've never used a slug in my life, and don't really know much about them. Can I use slugs in smooth barrel, and what kind of results might I get?
Thanks

ATROX Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My Buddy and I killed seven last weekend, I'm eaten up with these things. We stalked six of them and killed one still hunting. We gotta thin em out!!!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Brenneke Green Lightning 1 oz

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Duplex monolit steel slugs will give the best penetration.

http://ddupleks.com/index.php/en/2070-cal.html

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a question you may be able to answer. If much of the south is over run with hogs as I keep hearing. How come hunting them is so expensive?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
ATROX Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What do you call expensive?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How come hunting them is so expensive?

It's not expensive if you live here and have a place to hunt

If you want a "guided" hunt, then it's different, no matter how many hogs there are

Last edited by Snyper; 02/02/15.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What he said!

Regardless of the bore diameter, if you're shooting smooth-bore slugs, you should be shooting Brenneke.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I have a question you may be able to answer. If much of the south is over run with hogs as I keep hearing. How come hunting them is so expensive?

Because you wont be hunting them in the day. You'll be hunting them at night with thermal/night vision optics. VERY expensive. Go to you tube and check out "Hog Swat".

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, we killed all kinds of hogs during daylight hours in the hill country here. Actually rarely hunted them at night.

Some places its just more fun to hunt at night with expensive gear.

OTOH lots of folks figure out, they are not good for the country, tear it up and all, so may as well get some cash out of the problem if available.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
ATROX Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
just ordered some Brenneke Slugs!!! Hope they get here before the weekend. I will post pictures of the damage and give a full report of the kills.
Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just thought if they are such a problem there would be folks offering self guided type hunts to get rid of them. But I suppose the same old open hunting problems would pop up, and may be even worse with people paying a trespass fee.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Why the need to use the shotgun? Is that all you have or is it required?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Just thought if they are such a problem there would be folks offering self guided type hunts to get rid of them. But I suppose the same old open hunting problems would pop up, and may be even worse with people paying a trespass fee.

Most farmers will allow you to shoot hogs. The problem is that when the pressure is turned up, hogs can lie in the bottoms and wait it out. You may catch or shoot one or two by driving them, you may even get two or three at a time with dogs. However, when there is nothing but farm land and bottoms for 50 square miles, hogs will move for property to property at will...or go nocturnal.

Hunting at night is not simply a matter of playing with cool toys...it's about your only chance to see enough hogs congregated together for "multiple kills."

Just for perspective. I have a friend who is a pecan farmer. His pecan grove is surrounded by bottom land, timber tracts, and scatter/diverse agriculture. He has caught...in traps...over 500 hogs over the past several years. This does not include the hogs killed at night, or the three of four taken during deer season. Even after having taken over 500 hogs...one would not notice that a dent has made in the problem.

The point is, if one is not killing or catching 20-50 hogs a week (depends on the area) one is not really doing the farmer any favors. Hogs have to be completely eradicated...they breed too fast for the occasional "pig shoot."

ATROX Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I like the Benelli, It works for me on the close quick shots in thick brush while stalking. I'm sure an AR would work too, but I don't have one.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Where in FL did you hunt? I was looking for a private land hunt
next month (March). Mine would have to be up in the panhandle.

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ATROX
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I like the Benelli, It works for me on the close quick shots in thick brush while stalking. I'm sure an AR would work too, but I don't have one.

I guess it's a semi-auto thing

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The advantage of using a fully rifled barrel and sabotted slugs is realized in the greatly increased accuracy and distance you will get on your shots over using a smooth bore slug barrel and standard rifled slugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.