-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP, badger has given away $1,000's worth of info to you. Least you could do when on line again is Thank him. He is in the know.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That excerpt shows you how far we've come in engine technology. A 326hp V-12? That is an underpowered V-8 pick-up. For that matter, Hondas, Nissans, and whatever else you want to name are getting that much and more in V-6s and mid-sized family sedans and doing 0-60 in the fives.

with turbos

this v-12 does not have turbos

mercy triumphs over judgement
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you very much for that info. Badger... p.m. me if you ever need anything.... wham/ wyo.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by whambasted
That excerpt shows you how far we've come in engine technology. A 326hp V-12? That is an underpowered V-8 pick-up. For that matter, Hondas, Nissans, and whatever else you want to name are getting that much and more in V-6s and mid-sized family sedans and doing 0-60 in the fives.

with turbos

this v-12 does not have turbos

I've got a truck with a V-8 with a hundred more horsepower than that and no turbo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
5.0 Mustang is 435 hp and 400 lbs torque.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
new wrinkle.... the coolant level goes down about 1/2 a gallon and i'm noticing a vapor from the firewall when it is up to temp... the heater core doesn't seem to be putting out much if any heat.... the oil is dark and smells fine. is this a problem that i can get to without tearing the motor out? are there systems that can be eliminated to simplify the cooling and heating. i don't need or want really half of the fancy stuff but i love this motor and believe that it could be simplified but that is an unprofessional opinion... i also thin k that the trany problem might be exactly what Badger stated.... simple fix but i want to tackle the coolant issue first. this car has 185,000 miles on it and i dumped a can of seafoam in the motor.... just trying to keep this thread going and learn a thing or two. sorry if i irritate some of you.... wham

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jbmi
I have nothing but good things to say about my BMW. Bought it new in 04 for my 60th birthday. Store it in the winter and put about 6K on it in the summer.
All service work by dealership (so far only oil changes,tires and brakes)
One of the nicest vehicles I've owned over the past 55 years.
Doesn't ride like my Ford Expedition, but then a little two seater isn't for comfort, it's for fun.
I'll drive it for many years to come then give it to my grand daughter.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

I have one just like it in silver. Best dam# car I ever owned. Not very practical but the fun factor is out of this world.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i believe that model has a front and rear muffler bearing, with that many miles on it you might want to check them.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i believe that model has a front and rear muffler bearing, with that many miles on it you might want to check them.

you have problems with your bearings then.... or just when boozed

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sounds like you have couple issues going on here, may want to revisit that relationship with your dad.

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
he's an ahole but i love him....his loss not mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given what you wrote about the coolant, you may have a leak at one of the firewall connections or even at a connecting joint within the heater box. Could be the heater core itself leaking. If you don't need a heater and don't wish to fool with diagnosis/repair you MIGHT be able to install a coolant flow shut-off valve in the delivery hose.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
Given what you wrote about the coolant, you may have a leak at one of the firewall connections or even at a connecting joint within the heater box. Could be the heater core itself leaking. If you don't need a heater and don't wish to fool with diagnosis/repair you MIGHT be able to install a coolant flow shut-off valve in the delivery hose.

that right there is some great help and advice!! Thanks CCCC and Badger for participating. it's people like you guys that help me to appreciate humanity!! this is a fun car and more trouble than most but i like the challenge!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My old BMW exhibited the same coolant loss. Turned out the plastic expansion tank had a crack.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JAC43
My old BMW exhibited the same coolant loss. Turned out the plastic expansion tank had a crack.

Thanks! ever had waterpump issues?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, that too, 2002 330i. Around 100k I replaced the expansion tank assy and water pump, hoses, serpentine belt and idler & tensioner pulleys while I was in there. Price wasn't to bad for parts thru autohaus AZ.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same drill here; got it all done before anything started leaking. Going much past 100k is risky.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i found the leak.
it's the parallel to the firewall hose near the heater core

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would guess that an overhaul would be more like $5,000. This car is very difficult because the engine fills up the engine compartment and the parts are very expensive.

Last edited by ConradCA; 02/08/15.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whambasted
i found the leak.
it's the parallel to the firewall hose near the heater core

is it the heater core? what would you have that leaks besides the heater core or the heater core hoses at the firewall?

I'm particularly in tune with that because I traced anti-freeze loss in my sons cars to the heater core. Now we get to decide if we want to rip the dash out and the passenger seat in the middle of winter to fix it, or just bypass it and not have a heater for the car in February.

Neither are appealing options.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.