Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Has anyone with a side mounted scope used it enough to comment on how robust they are? Way back in the Dark Ages I had a whim to install a side mount (not Weaver, rather an Echo) on a pristine 99A. After analyzing the wall thickness of the LH side of the receiver, we decided that it was just too thin to give decent support for the screws. Were we all wet? My then gunsmith suggested we screw and solder on a Griffin&Howe flat side plated QD mount that I had instead. About then I discovered this forum and I changed my mind pretty quickly about the whole thing.

Those old sheet metal T7 mounts always struck me as kind of flimsy. Am I all wet about that too?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Here is another with side mounted 330 scope that was sold recently on GB at this url.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464776082

I would say a 40 or 41; checkering was added in 40, no guns from 42-46; its barrel marking was used 40-46

I wouldn't say that's another gun

Another picture? Maybe...

wink

Yeah.. we've already discussed that gun in this thread. grin

Side notes for Keith: Checkering was added in 1938 on the EG, probably close to the beginning of '38. And there were 99's made from 42-46, seems to be low production numbers in 42/43, somewhat more in 44 and then it started going gangbusters again in '45. No work allowed on civilian guns until quota's were met on gov't military contracts, but Savage was very good at meeting gov't contracts.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Has anyone with a side mounted scope used it enough to comment on how robust they are? Way back in the Dark Ages I had a whim to install a side mount (not Weaver, rather an Echo) on a pristine 99A. After analyzing the wall thickness of the LH side of the receiver, we decided that it was just too thin to give decent support for the screws. Were we all wet? My then gunsmith suggested we screw and solder on a Griffin&Howe flat side plated QD mount that I had instead. About then I discovered this forum and I changed my mind pretty quickly about the whole thing.

Those old sheet metal T7 mounts always struck me as kind of flimsy. Am I all wet about that too?

Bought a 1952 99EG in 250 via Jed with an Echo side mount and Weaver, it was sturdy as heck and shot just fine. I'd say they're as sturdy as any 2 piece scope bases. Hated that Echo side mount though... clunky and ugly. This T7 seems plenty sturdy enough with the screws tightened down, wouldn't expect any problems considering it's a 70+ year old scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Side notes for Keith: Checkering was added in 1938 on the EG, probably close to the beginning of '38. And there were 99's made from 42-46, seems to be low production numbers in 42/43, somewhat more in 44 and then it started going gangbusters again in '45. No work allowed on civilian guns until quota's were met on gov't military contracts, but Savage was very good at meeting gov't contracts.

Hope Wyo1895 pics up this kind of updated info in his book, as it differs from Murray. Seems a lot of this kind of updated info is coming in with the advent of the internet. I've collected military 1911A1s for about 10 years and many details have been identified that differed from Clawson's book (the Murray of 1911s and 1911As).

Last edited by KeithNyst; 02/06/15.
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
David should have most of it in the book. Doug Murray did an awesome job back before the internet was even invented, digging information out of catalogs and Roe Clark and various collectors as well as looking at a lot of 99's himself. He defined Savages 99's in quite a few ways including providing model names for the 1899's.

Most of what we do is refined the information he dug up.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The book is mostly written on info from forum members and my own observations. I haven't found much good info from the other printed sources out there. I've updated info as it shows up. At some point we'll have to print what we have. Hopefully there will be a second edition with info that surfaces later.
Just got back from the movie "American Sniper". It was intense and thought-provoking. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi All
Don't know if this is any help
1899F S/n 2797xx
A bit early for the mount
The threads don't appear to have been blued
I could only find a Mossberg M4(b)scope for my T-7 mount I got off fleabay
When I brought the rifle off an old gentleman he stated he had brought it of another person in the early 50's and it was drilled and taped and had the screws as in the photos.
He made his own mount out of a section of ali angle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
One thing that I have often wondered do the climbing Lyman sights 21 & 38 fit these hole spacing's
I have one for a Winchester 95 but don't collect those
Cheers Graham

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry I forgot to add
This is a 250-3000
Well used and still use it with the T-7 mount usually only takes 1 shot and I cart it around every where in it's box
I assemble it, screw the mount on and go hunting
I have never had to re-sight the rifle as it seems to keep it's centre well
cheers

Graham
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
So as far as this thread goes at least, I'm seeing 3 rifles, at least to the eyeball, identical with the location of the T-7 mount.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rick99
Easy to identify the Weaver screws with the "F" and "R" stamps.

I don't remember the screws being made different other than the markings. Comments?

I seem to remember a later version of screw that had more of an oversized wood screw head but still marked "F" and "R"... maybe just a bad dream?

I have an unproven theory on the screws, I think they are exactly the same and in almost every application of these mounts they can stay the same, but in some applications one or the other may need to be shortened to clear internal parts, and shortening both to the same length would weaken the mount, hence the markings would only be of use on certain makes & models. I have looked for vintage instructions for these mounts to see if I can find anything to back this.

... but then again it could just be that some engineer figured there will always be some slight variances in any two screws so the same screw should always go in the same hole to eliminate any chance of moving the scope mount.

Last edited by GeneB; 02/06/15. Reason: reworded slightly
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve, I think the three that are close to the same location are all on rifles that were made before the T-7 was in production. The two that were produced in the correct time period do not match in their location.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find it interesting That there are some mounts around the world with similar screws with F & R on them
where these supplied with the mount?
Do any other rifle makes that mounted the S-7 T-7 have the same screws?
Could these have been Factory holes for another type of mount?
Hence my "Q" on the climbing Lyman sight
Just "Q's"
Cheers Graham

Graham
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeneB
Originally Posted by Rick99
Easy to identify the Weaver screws with the "F" and "R" stamps.

I don't remember the screws being made different other than the markings. Comments?

I seem to remember a later version of screw that had more of an oversized wood screw head but still marked "F" and "R"... maybe just a bad dream?

I have an unproven theory on the screws, I think they are exactly the same and in almost every application of these mounts they can stay the same, but in some applications one or the other may need to be shortened to clear internal parts, and shortening both to the same length would weaken the mount, hence the markings would only be of use on certain makes & models. I have looked for vintage instructions for these mounts to see if I can find anything to back this.

... but then again it could just be that some engineer figured there will always be some slight variances in any two screws so the same screw should always go in the same hole to eliminate any chance of moving the scope mount.

It is common practice for almost any engineer,toolmaler/machinist, or mechanic, for that matter that when disassembling anything to lay the screws out in such a fashion that they be returned to the same location they originated. The only two original screws I have are within .002" of one another in length. I believe Gene's theory to be correct.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It makes total sense to me that screws would be given distinct markings given that the internals of rifles are different at attaching points dictating a need for different lengths. It also makes sense to me that Weaver would do this to all screws as a manufacturing expediency as the screws themselves would have been made for mounts used on all kinds of rifles (lever, bolt, semi-automatic actions, etc...).

I'm sure everyone knows this, but Murray's book has an pre-WWII excerpt from Savage advertising indicating they would drill and tap rifles for no extra charge whenever a scope was ordered with a rifle.

Given that scopes before WWII were not common place items, I would expect inconsistencies in the hole locations, certainly in those that were done by independent gunsmiths but also those did at the factory. I guess the only thing that really counts is if they were done cleanly. Does anybody know if the factory made note of this service in their records - something that should show up in the research done for a factory letter?

Last edited by S99VG; 02/07/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Graham,

Yes, the screws were supplied with the mount.

I think the S-7 & T-7 were Savage 99 specific mounts.

I don't have a "Climb'n Lyman at hand but looking at photos it appears that the hole spacing is farther apart on the Lyman.

Were there other side mount sights that used the same hole spacing as the S-7/T-7? Not that I know of. If there are I would expect it to be later production vs. earlier production mounts.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll post some other pictures later but here is one. It had a 330 on it when I got it but the cross hair was damaged as I recall so I out a J2.5 on it as it was the only 3/4" scope I had handy.

[Linked Image]

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what makes this gun compelling is that its from the correct time frame, has impeccable overall condition, and even the screws on he mount show their case color beautifully.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even the bottom of the lever and the bottom and inside show solid case color implying exceptionally little use.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
Drew has the closest thing I have ever seen to a factory mounted T-7, if there even ever was such a thing...

IIRC it is a pre war R. Maybe he can post a pic.

That's the one.... wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a shame that we can't find the original Savage fixture used for D&Ting for the S7/T7 mounts. Steve down in FL had the original for the later top mounts but it has since been passed on to parts unknown. Question is did Savage use a fixture to drill for the side mounts or did they just drill them on the fly as the orders came in like another gunsmith would do?

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yah George, I was wondering the same thing on the T7 jig.

As I recall, 260remguy outbid me on the factory top mount jig many years ago on good old fleabay.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.