Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Got a Winchester super x 3 with duratouch stock that is about 9 years old and beat to hell. Duratouch is great on this gun except where it has rubbed off from rolling around the floor of a duck boat. Have an xbolt stainless stalker that is 5 years old with duratouch that is fantastic and shoots great out of the box with factory ammo.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several A-Bolts, only one 'X'. They have worked fine for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pjohnson
Was a little dissapointed in the trigger pull even when backing out the adjustment screw all the way.

My x-bolt trigger is not quite as good as my old A-bolt or my Remington, but they've both been fixed by my local gunsmith. My X-bolt trigger is plenty good for a hunting rifle and I had no trouble getting 1/2" to 3/4" groups with the first hand loads I tried. I think I'll save that $70 and spend it on ammo.

Also been through 3 hunting seasons now and no complaints about the duratouch. Still looks like new except for the dirt on it.

I predict you'll be extremely pleased with your x-bolt and great choice in caliber.

Last edited by country_20boy; 02/13/15.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shortside
I have always liked Browning A bolts for their accuracy. My two experiences with X-bolts (owned by a friend that I was helping try to get it to shoot) left me shaking my head. Unacceptable accuracy. Browning replaced the barrel on the one, and then the action, and then it was sold. The other finally shoots reasonably, but is finicky. He is back looking for older A-bolts.

Your friend must have the worst luck on the planet. I've never heard of an x-bolt that wouldn't shoot, much less two by the same owner. Some people on this site complain about a lot of things on Brownings, but accuracy has never been one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
I have both and hunt with both. Total crap about the trigger freezing or rusting up. Also total crap about the dura touch stock melting. browning makes excellent rifles. They shoot lights out right out of the box.

There are three different posters here that have posted within the last 48 hours that hunted with me on Kodiak with an A-Bort that experienced trigger failure within the week. I have seen several others.

Is that what you mean by total crap?

It doesn't even have to be Alaska to kill a Browning. One of the wilderness areas I hunt here in North Georgia every year probably has a similar weather profile to what you guys have in SE Ak with cold/wet minus the saltwater of course. The only rifles I've seen fail and fail consistently are Brownings. On the coastal islands here in Georgia I've seen them fail as well due to salt spray. I couldn't care less about brand loyalty. Function trumps all.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've personally seen a few duratouch stocks peel. Make sure that you don't let DEET come anywhere near it. You could always get a Hunter stock for it. I've also seen A-Bolts that had a 'frozen' trigger, but never on an X-bolt. Enjoy the new toy...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess Brownings work in most places except AK. For some reason they don't like it up there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Country_20boy,

I agree, and browning was good to go as far as taking care of it... The 25-06 went back to them twice. First time was new barrel, and second time the receiver was replaced. They could not get it to shoot either! It dis well on the last trip back... good enough that he could sell it in good conscience.

He is happy with his current 300 WSM, but to be honest, it still is a 1.5 MOA rifle.

A sample of two is not representative, just anecdotal.

Regards

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for the input guys, I loaded up some 110 Accubonds and IMR 4831 this weekend and the best group measured at just shy of 1" for 5-shots, not bad right out of the gate. I am sure a little playing around with seating depth will likely get me a bit smaller (based on the reloading I have done to date). Really happy with the x bolt for the first range trip, the gun fits great and personally I like to duracoat, just hope it lasts. My one and only complaint is the trigger, its good but still lags behind my Tikka trigger.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like my ss xbolt 3006 and used it last fall. No issues in the northern mn cold. Its my best shooter and I will watch the plastic stock for decay.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 36 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.