Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I found a real SLEEPER - unidentified 416 Rigby - real cheap

Hello All,

As you have seen, lately my interests have shifted to Big Bore rifles. I found this one on an on-line auction while I was searching. Its really neat when you discover one where the seller has no clue what he has.

Here is how it was described in the original auction listing.

[Linked Image]

The description also included a lot of the other usual info about: good bore, good wood, etc., etc.

Well, I never heard of a "Full" Magnum Length Interarms, and when I searched the Net trying to find examples of one, I was stumped. Here are the pictures that were listed in the auction.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After much searching and comparing the shape of this action, to pictures of various Interarms Actions that I located on line, I was sure this was NOT an Interarms Action. The only thing I could see that remotely resembled Interarms, was the sliding safety.

Well, I had a 'hunch' what this was. Could it be? I watched this rifle for the full 14 days of the Auction. That was a very, very long 2 weeks. And, in the last minutes of the Auction, I placed my bids. After a couple of back-and-forth bids, I was the winner! - $720 - My total cost ... $755 delivered to Wisconsin. It was 2 days before Christmas, so this was a Christmas present from myself - to myself. Perhaps the close-Christmas timing kept the other would-be-bidders too busy to find this treasure.

Here is what I found when it arrived home ...

A very nice Magnum Length BREVEX Mauser action - you can barely see the "M400" model marking and the "/92" serial number stamp. It looks like these were partially removed during the final "squaring of the action bottom and the finishing process during the rifle's build.

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/oct9.jpg[/img]

and .... with a SAKO trigger..... This explains the sliding side safety that looks similar to the Interarms safety.

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/oct7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/oct8.jpg[/img]

and ..... a LES BAUSKA barrel..... This was also a surprise. Les Bauska was a famed barrel maker and worked with Buhmiller during the 50's and 60's ... likely when this rifle was built. He was known for his superb Octagon Barrels.

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/oct90.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/oct91.jpg[/img] - LES BAUSKA OBITUARY

I topped the rifle with a compact 2x-7x Burris Scope, which brought the shooting weight to just a tad over 11 pounds. The perfect weight for a 416 Rigby.

Lots of people ask me how I find so many rare collectibles. And some people call me Lucky - they are wrong. I credit my findings to a bladder problem. As I age, I find myself getting up several times a night - to pee. Before I go back to bed, I do a little WEB Surfing. The search engines run pretty fast at 2 o'clock in the morning. All the reading makes me sleepy, and I go back to bed until the next urge wakes me. And that's how I found this one.

Thank Goodness for a small bladder.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great find and a great story!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
What a dog!!! Dont' know how you found the courage it took to publicly display this thing here.

Uhhh, To save you any future shame, I'd be willing to hide it my safe for you...since I'm such a nice guy I might even be persuaded to give you $100 above what you paid....

GREAT snag!!! on a great rifle.

-Mike-

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Love the gun and the story... smile

Need follow up on that one, for sure.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Timing is everything and that's a super find!
Is the stock a laminate or had a bit added for reinforcement?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I studied the stock and like laminated for such a gun, not the style so much. If it was mine, I'd whack that hugh grip cap and remove enough wood to create more of a classic Mauser type grip, maybe open the grip curve a bit. I'd lose the forend tip, trimming the forearm to look more like an Express rifle. I think some judicious trimming could add to the Safari rifle look this Brevex deserves without having to build another stock. That one looks pretty solid.

If you aren't careful, this project could go over a grand... shocked

Just a thought...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/13/15.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
That is awesome. Neat story to go along with it!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WOW !! I 'need' a 416 R like I need another hole in the head BUT

I'd been all over that like ice cream over apple pie.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!!

sick sick sick = envy.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I studied the stock and like laminated for such a gun, not the style so much. If it was mine, I'd whack that hugh grip cap and remove enough wood to create more of a classic Mauser type grip, maybe open the grip curve a bit.

That one looks pretty solid.
DF

Me, Myself, & I, We like that stock as is.

Some people even like chevy, while ugh some like dodge. <G>

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's well done, just doesn't say "Brevex Magnum" to me... grin

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Great find!

So there is something to be said for having to get up more often in the night....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello All,

Thanks for the replys.

Yes, the stock is a laminate. Its mostly dark-on-dark walnut made up of 1/4" thick slabs. With the thicker slabs it kinda hides the fact that its a laminated stock. Looks almost like coarse grain lines. I'm glad its not the light/dark thin layers, that look is too gaudy for my tastes. The laminated stock is quite heavy, and I'm sure very strong, designed to take the heavy recoil of the 416 factory ammo. Although recoil was stout sitting at the bench, the Federal factory ammo was actually pleasurable to shoot.

I dont mind the swoopy roosewood grip cap and the rosewood forend tip. It gives the rifle that kind of a 60's look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great bedtime story. I love it when a orphaned gun finds a deserving home.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What a cool story. I am so illiterate when it come to old rifles and especially of the history of Mauser actions. But I guess if I get up to pee enough, I can study up and find some potential bargains!

Thanks for sharing.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If there ever was a "Pee Dividend" this has to be it...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I studied the stock and like laminated for such a gun, not the style so much. If it was mine, I'd whack that hugh grip cap and remove enough wood to create more of a classic Mauser type grip, maybe open the grip curve a bit.

That one looks pretty solid.
DF

Me, Myself, & I, We like that stock as is.

Some people even like chevy, while ugh some like dodge. <G>

laugh

A buddy of mine if fond of saying, never mess with a Dodge owner. He's already mad... shocked

That stock sure does have the 60's look and is really well done. I'm the type that always wants to mess with something, so my reaction was to cut a safari type stock out of that one. But, I see the OP's point of letting it be what it is and enjoying it like he found it.

Amazing find. Wonder what that Brevex action alone is worth, not counting the great barrel...?

Don't you know, some advanced gun nut put that together. It would be another great story to know the history of that gun. Too many guys pass on to their rewards, leaving behind guns like that with no one around to know what they have.

I heard it said a gun nut's greatest concern: When he died, his wife would sell his guns for what he told her he paid... wink

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That's a sweet .416 Rigby Buckstix.

Have you shot it yet?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Congratulations! All those years of gunnutism sometimes pay great rewards. Well, that and the fact that it's great fun.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
D F -

I don't think I'd ever build one like that stock BUT you and the OP beat me to the follow up. It's that 'classic' 60s early 70s style and I just couldn't change it.

Hope and am sure it'll shoot as GOOD as designed. SWEET !!!!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,266
Posts18,448,266
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.