Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
You haven't hunted a thing.

Exactly! A lot of guys shoot more deer in a season than a hunter in northern New England might see in a season, maybe even in more than one season.

Why my high school hunting buddies come to shoot deer in Nebraska for the first time, I have a hard time keeping them from shooting the first buck that they see. When they've sat in a blind for a couple of days, seen dozens, maybe hundreds, of deer feeding in river bottom soybean fields, they become a bit more selective. Now they come and take lots of pictures to show their friends back home. Many of those people say that sitting in a raised platform stand overlooking a cut bean or corn field isn't hunting, 'cause it is too easy when compared to tracking through knee deep snow.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My 223 squirting 75 Amax's killed the hell outta 6 Does over 3 days last November. Not one ran more than 20 yds and my freezer is full. Guess I'm doing schit the wrong way
Savage doesn't know his azz from his elbow....poor sapp

Last edited by KH1473; 02/17/15.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Select a rifle hunting cartridge that is "Enough Gun" and not one designed to just wound the enemy!

This is simply and factually an incorrect statement. The 5.56 NATO round was not designed to wound, and kills rather effectively. Once again, you show you have no idea what you are talking about.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A 223 will kill any deer that walks this earth.It is not the perfect deer round by a long shot.I do not get the argument.No kidding it will kill a deer shot in the ribs but shoot the same deer at a hard angle and see how it works for you.If you just take perfect broadside shots shoot what ever the F you want but a good woods round should have enough guts to kill at all angles.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by swarf

Those idiots who think that a 223 is perfect for deer and black bear are repugnant. To brag about how small a cartridge that you can kill something with is disgusting. To take any life and not give it a good death is disgusting. I think that these disgusting dolts should be sentenced to perhaps a miserable, slow, death by cancer. Give them what they deserve.

You must be a Christian.

Travis

That was uncalled for.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by driftless
A 223 will kill any deer that walks this earth.It is not the perfect deer round by a long shot.I do not get the argument.No kidding it will kill a deer shot in the ribs but shoot the same deer at a hard angle and see how it works for you.If you just take perfect broadside shots shoot what ever the F you want but a good woods round should have enough guts to kill at all angles.

Barnes

your welcome

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I agree that being as humane as possible to the deer is important,..I have shot several deer with my old 222 using regular old 50 grain soft points,and I have been very careful to take only neck shots,.The last one I shot dropped in her tracks,but would kick like she wanted to get up.I waved my hands in front of her face,and got no reaction so I didn't shoot her again .I don't think she knew ,or felt anything..I do think a 222 is a little light to be a good deer rifle.My primary deer rifle has been a 270 until this year ,when I switched to a 250..A small caliber forces a concintious hunter to take only well placed shots.That's what makes them deadly..Just because someone hunts with a cannon don't mean you can just take pot shots at running deer.That's a recipe for gut shooting,or shooting the leg in two at the elbow..Even though the bucks are few,and far between were you hunt you still need to place your shots well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bigswede358

Those idiots who think that a 223 is perfect for deer and black bear are repugnant. To brag about how small a cartridge that you can kill something with is disgusting. To take any life and not give it a good death is disgusting. I think that these disgusting dolts should be sentenced to perhaps a miserable, slow, death by cancer. Give them what they deserve.

You must be a Christian.

Travis

That was uncalled for.

What is?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Barnes right on... How about a Barnes in a 243,25,6.5,270,7mm,30 on and on they all have more going for them.Hey I yous the 223 on deer it works fine on broadside shots on does with plain 55gr bullets.It is a long ways from being a perfect deer round.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Most of my game hunting has been in Vermont

Very few hunters get anything there.

I determined that if I had a powerful rifle and practiced with it I would get more.

Those that use tiny cartridges for hunting are passing up shots and hurting our sport of hunting.

I guess I don't understand this thought process. Let me see if I follow:

"I hunt where there are no deer. If I use a bigger rifle I will get more. Those who pass up shots hurt the sport."

Since I will be doing some fishing soon, even if I fish where there are no fish, I will catch more fish if I use a bigger fishing rod? And if I fish with a smaller rig I hurt the sport?
SMH. cool

Last edited by 1Deernut; 02/17/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by driftless
Barnes right on... How about a Barnes in a 243,25,6.5,270,7mm,30 on and on they all have more going for them.Hey I yous the 223 on deer it works fine on broadside shots on does with plain 55gr bullets.It is a long ways from being a perfect deer round.

I've never not taken out shoulders with a 223. I'm certain your experience rivals Don's.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You must be a Christian.

Travis

Why? I'm Christian. A Pastor even! And I don't agree with anything he posted.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by moosemike

Why? I'm Christian. A Pastor even! And I don't agree with anything he posted.

I'm guessing they don't have a semester dedicated to humor when you go to Pastor School?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's nothing funny about Christians, you heartless bastard...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Humor often goes right over my head. At least thats what my wife tells me. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back to the topic ;Ive honestly found the .243 to be as effective on deer as the .30-06. I don't buy this .250-3000 minimum nor do I think the .358 is connecting a whole lot of dots in VT vs. any number of cartridges.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have killed a few deer in my life, the ones that travelled the farthest when hit properly were shot with a .458 winchester. I have never used a .224 bullet to kill a deer , but have the utmost confidence they will kill better then an ass shot with a .358.....
Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Swarf,

Are you really that stupid or were you just being a silly-nilly?

Dave

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
These are two pretty handy rifles for "woods" hunting. The top one is a Remington model 7 predator re chambered to 358 win in an HS Precision stock. The bottom one is obviously a T3 chopped, threaded and chambered in 7mm -08.

[Linked Image]

I have taken two bucks and four does with the 7mm-08 Hornady Lite 120 gr load and each one literally dropped in their tracks with shoulder or frontal shots. Here is the jacket of one that I recovered after it had penetrated about 24".

[Linked Image]

I took this deer with the 358 and one 200 gr silvertip. The shot was a short quartering away. The fully intact stomach can be seen in the background where it fell out during the death run of about 50 yards. A stocking cap was placed for easy location.

[Linked Image]

I enjoy shooting the 7mm. It barely has any recoil and prints boner inspiring groups at 100 yards. The 358 launches a 200 gr bullet at about the same speed that the 7mm does the 120 gr bullet. They both would make awesome "woods" rifles.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swarf is giving dumb don a real run in the stupid race.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.