Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Who do you suppose will be the first to come out with an affordable Bolt action 6.5 Grendel? Savage, Ruger, Remington, Howa or just maby CZ?? Or is the perceived need for excessive speed going to hamstring this round forever?

My preferance would be to see one in a simple CZ M1 type stock for starters with a 24 inch barrel.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When I have theses flashes of desire for another rifle and the factories have not answered, I look for a donor rifle that is a candidate for rebarrel. I haven't worked with the parent cartridge, but the Chay Zed perks my interest...

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You should read JB's article in the latest issue of Rifle.

If I were you I wouldn't be holding my breath. Better just have one made.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
whatever rifle can handle the 6ppc should handle the 6.5 ppc I'd think...

I expect to never see a bolt gun chambered as such.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by rost495
I expect to never see a bolt gun chambered as such.

Hope you are mistaken. in the mean time my eyes are pealed for a CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39 at a very reasonable cost.

What is the likelihood of finding a long take off barrel to be set back for this project?

Is 6.5 Grendel still a proprietary chambering?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it has achieved SAAMI standard. I have considered getting one of the full stock CZ527's in 223, and having the boltface opened and the gun bored out to 6.5 Grendel. You would only have to swap the 223 mag for a 7.62x39 mag to work.

But...........

Have you ever taken a look a the 6.5 Arisaka ballistics? for all the effort and expense of the above, you would be re-creating the 6.5 Arisaka! Sure, CZ would be tons cooler, but that way or even with an inexpensive bolt gun bored our or rebarreled, those would many times over beat the cost of an excellent condition Arisaka with a nice Leupold scope and a braided leather sling, and a passel of ammo to boot! Neat idea, but I guess nothing is new under the sun.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by iambrb
Have you ever taken a look a the 6.5 Arisaka ballistics? for all the effort and expense of the above, you would be re-creating the 6.5 Arisaka! Sure, CZ would be tons cooler, but that way or even with an inexpensive bolt gun bored our or rebarreled, those would many times over beat the cost of an excellent condition Arisaka with a nice Leupold scope and a braided leather sling, and a passel of ammo to boot! Neat idea, but I guess nothing is new under the sun.

Had not considered or even been aware of the 6.5 Arisaka. Looked them over a bit and while it may take me a few years, odds are Ill hold out for a 6.5 Grendel.

May look into down loading a 270 for the time being. H4895 looks like the best bet yet for 2600 fps or so. Any propellants seem to look like a better option?
What do you suppose a guy may have to pay for a CZ 527 6.5 Grendel project that someone has put together a few years back and decided to move on to a new project?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The drum is that the new Howa mini action will be factory chambered in the Grendel.

That's internet info, but I'm hoping it's right.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bobnob17
The drum is that the new Howa mini action will be factory chambered in the Grendel.

That's internet info, but I'm hoping it's right.

This was what I was hoping to hear with just a little more substantial behind this statement. I fear CZ is looking at giving up a substantial chunk of market share if they sit by the sidelines and hand all those sales over to Howa whistle

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
No I don't think they will let this one go. Optimistic me expects to see CZ527's being offered in 6.5 Grendel in three configurations, American, Varmint walnut and Varmint ARAMID COMPOSITE by 2016. I am shooting for early 2016. Just being o-p-t-imistic grin

Last edited by Hunterapp; 02/17/15.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is great news regarding the Howa and CZ. Although an Arisaka would be cheaper, either of those would be sooooo neater!

Good news to hear!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm VERY interested in the same thing. I've looked into the CZ 527 conversion with a carbine in 7.62x39. The total cost would be around $1200 +/-.

If you haven't handled one, please do so. The backwards safety is odd without a fix. I understand the bolt throw has been improved upon on newer models only, so a compact scope would probably clear with lower rings than the ones supplied by the factory.

The magazine hanging down really makes handling a little strange in my mitts but something I could get used to. I would change mine out to an American stock (all of their stocks feel portly) and slim it down somehow or cut back the forearm to move the balance point forward of the magazine. This, in my opinion, is necessary for proper balance, carry and handling. As it sits the carbine's short barrel keeps the balance point right at that magazine. As a suggestion, when you rebarrel to a 6.5 Grendel, make sure you use a longer tube to get it muzzle heavy to your tastes and shift the balance to the front of the magwell. I've seen the modded magazine that holds 3 instead of 5 rounds and although it interests me, it still hangs down a little that may or may not bother you.

The one thing that really bothers me in the CZ 527 is the COL of the magazine to allow you to seat the bullets further out in the magazine. For what it's worth on the internet, the information surrounding the actual COL of the CZ magazine is a little more than the AR15 which is limited to 2.250. But I've seen it listed as 2.260 and 2.285 and other dimensions. If anyone has on of these, it would be great to get a measurement! If you have more flexibility it will make this platform very desireable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as the Howa mini action, CZ was supposed to have a 6.5 Grendel gun since 2011...never happened so don't hold your breath! From scanning Legacy Arms' website pics, I can say I do like the the safety on the gun (over the CZ). The larger actions are really slick and well built, but heavy, if the mini actions stay true to their lightweight listings and operate as well as their bigger brothers then all the better. I don't like the stock forend, grip and not sure if it is a polymer stock and all the problems associated with it. If they sell it as a barreled action like the bigger rifles, it may help but they have one more issue...that damned magazine! The mag latch hangs out like 3 inch nipple right where you'll likely hold the rifle when frolicking in the woods, wonder how many folks will bitch about the mag dumps! It looks like it hangs down lower than the CZ and just as proprietary. If they made this with bottom metal or none at all, I'd be sold. Without actually getting one on top of my hands I remain impatient and frustrated.

Best of luck, I'm in the same boat as you and sounds like just as perplexed. crazy

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=4winds Without actually getting one on top of my hands I remain impatient and frustrated.

Best of luck, I'm in the same boat as you and sounds like just as perplexed. crazy [/quote]

May have me fairly well pegged I suspect. Been a lot of folks pushing for this for a number of years.

Honestly the bottom up push may have dwindled recently. Strikes me the time is not far off for a top down push that will be fruitful.

When looking at ammo supply lines I feel this is a Idea who's time has come, If not now; Very Soon!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the Howa doesn't materialise I'll be getting a Zastava M85 made up in the Grendel. I already have a synthetic stock on hand to suit so I have a head start.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pabucktail
You should read JB's article in the latest issue of Rifle.

If I were you I wouldn't be holding my breath. Better just have one made.

That is the simple solution in my opinion and has been for a while...

on a Ruger, change the extractor claw... Ruger has them, since they have chambered rifles in the 6 PPC, 22 PPC and the 7.62 x 39...its a pretty easy change...

I am sure Savage would have a bolt face available for it also.. and if not the aftermarket would... the aftermarket could set you up with a Remington in that bolt face configuration...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.