Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9619950 02/20/15
fishnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a head scratcher I need every ones help with. A little back ground first.
I have a S&W 1500 in .243 I've had for 30 years as my truck/coyote gun. The gun has at least 2000 rounds through it but it has been kept clean and still shoots .5" groups with 72 gr Barnes Varminators. I have Lyman dies I've had for the entire life of the gun that have loaded all these rounds with.
Here is the problem.
The last year or so, every round I chamber is very tight, I almost can't close the bolt. I full length resize and try to bump the shoulder back just a touch, every time I size. cases are trimmed to the right specs as well.
For the first time in 30 years of reloading, I had excessive pressure to the point of blowing the primer and sticking the bolt with one round. None of the other cases show any sign of excess pressure. I have not tried to chamber a factory round to see if it is to tight.
Do dies ware out?

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You probably are not bumping back far enough

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many firings on the brass? Do you feel a lot of resistance when seating bullets?

X-verminator

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
maybe pulling the shoulder back out when the expander ball comes thru the neck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the chamber is not allowing the neck to release the bullet. The same situation that you would run into with long or thick necks. Check the chamber out and check the neck wall thickness of your brass.
If you don't find anything with that, think back if you started a new lot of powder or brass or bullets when the problem started.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Primers...there's been some bad lots. See MuleDeer. powdr

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Primers...there's been some bad lots. See MuleDeer. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could be one or many things. Start with an empty cartridge that chambers. Separate your sizing and expanding steps, and try chambering the cartridge after each step.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Sounds like the chamber is not allowing the neck to release the bullet. The same situation that you would run into with long or thick necks. Check the chamber out and check the neck wall thickness of your brass.

Blacktailer and I are thinking along the same lines here. The reason I asked the questions I did is because I was thinking thickening necks as well.

Sometimes (not always) SAAMI chambers are cut with an excessive amount of clearance at the neck-shoulder junction. Given this kind of chamber and the case's shallow 20° shoulder angle, the brass can build-up at the base of the necks. You may find that the force required to seat your bullets goes up. One solution is to turn the bottom third of the case-neck, but the brass will eventually migrate back.

Take some measurements on the bottom third of your necks and compare it to the rest of the neck.....

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
fishnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
looks like the necks were a bit thick, I turned the necks and they seem to be chambering much better. Thanks for the help everyone.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.