Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all,

I have had an interest in getting a Ruger #1 for a few years now, but I have never seen one in a firearm shop here in Alberta. I was just on the Ruger site and it looks like they are all exclusive to Lipsey's in the US. Does that mean that they aren't available new here?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Which version are you looking for? Prophet River has a few on their on-line site.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Having never handled one, it's hard to say. I'm thinking light sporter, standard, or medium sporter. Just a normal hunting caliber. No varmint or large magnums.

I'll go take a look on the prophet river site.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
They're getting pretty hard to find up here. I haven't seen one in a gun shop for a while. Last time i was in Kamloops, The Powder Keg had 2 of them. I bought the .45/70 that they had. Couldn't bring myself to buy the 9.3x72.

I've had 4 of them and am down to 2 .45/70's right now.

P
P
Sam,
According to Ellwood Epps (Orillia, ON) website they show that they have 4 Ruger # 1's in stock. Two model 1S sporters in 9.3 x 62 mausers, one model 1V varminter in 22 Swift and one model 1H tropical in 450/400.
Good luck, Pat

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Having never handled one, it's hard to say. I'm thinking light sporter, standard, or medium sporter. Just a normal hunting caliber. No varmint or large magnums.

I'll go take a look on the prophet river site.

SS

SamSteele;
It's good to see you posting again in these parts sir - I hope this finds you and yours well this Saturday evening.

So if you've never handled a No. 1 I'd really suggest trying to handle a few as to me they did indeed have a different heft and balance than a bolt gun for sure.

For many years this was my primary horse hunting rifle and it went on a few walks too when I was younger and tougher. wink
[Linked Image]

So this one was an '82 vintage No. 1B standard in .300 Win Mag. I replaced the trigger with a Moyers unit, bedded the butt stock for a perfect fit with the back of the action, installed a Decelerator and built a fore end that fit my idea of what a single shot should look like and feel like too. Oh and a Gentry barrel band front sling mount too.

I also hunted a fair bit with my hunting partner's B78 single shot in .25-06 and while it was a single shot as well, it's quite a bit different than the No. 1.

So for instance the No. 1 either needs to be carried empty or loaded with a safety on. The B78 could be carried with a round in the chamber but with the hammer down. Depending upon one's comfort level with mechanical safeties that can be a bit of a big deal - or not.

I've only got medium sized hands and I found that I couldn't "thumb" in a round into the B78 - one needed to tip it muzzle down a bit and seat the cartridge with my index finger which would contact with both sided of the action then.

The No. 1 can be loaded with a thumb - which to me was quicker/smoother than the B78 for follow up shots for sure.

They're both quite heavy, though they don't feel like it really because for me they balanced well. I could shoot that No. 1 offhand or resting on most any improvised rest very well, much better than quite a few bolt rifles I've owned.

Eventually the weight would tire me when still hunting, but for a horse hunting rifle where you'd often spot game and then be required to bail off the Appy and get lead in the air in a timely fashion - it was for me perfect.

Do try to handle one though if you can, because again to me they do handle differently than a bolt rifle.

Hopefully that was somewhat useful information for you sir, good luck with your search whichever way you decide and all the best to you and yours this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.