Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
Yes I was aiming at the head, which is where it hit.

Would you still have honored us with the video footage had your bullet found the guts instead?

My guess is no, guts aint too high on the cool factor.....

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes I was aiming at the head, which is where it hit. I understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I wouldn't have taken the shot if I wasn't confident that I would hit it.

What isnt my cup of tea is stunt shooting on live, uninjured game. Metal doesnt bleed.

Distance to target is irrelevant without the understanding and practice it takes to make a shot.

The longer the time of flight, the greater the chance the games movement will change its position and therefore POI. You can dope wind and drop all you want, you cant (accurately) and reliable predict the unpredictable- a turn of the head, a move of the neck.

How many deer get they're jaws blown off at 100yds? I'd say far more than there are at 900yds,

I'd say you are rationalizing. I would venture that plenty of jaws, legs, & guts have been punched, and plenty of coyotes fed, thanks to the explosion of long range sniper hunting.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bcraig

That wasn,t a portrayel of an ethical hunter taking a reasonable long range shot.

I think that anyone that thinks that this is fine example of long range hunting needs to reevaluate the whole picture and not just the fact that an animal was killed at long range.

Bravo

+1

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
coldboremiracle,

It's always so illuminating to have yet another long-range hunter justify himself by pointing out how many "average" hunters screw up shots. It's like hearing 10-year-old say to his father, "But all the other kids are doing it!"

Excellent analogy.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/95NUv1bLJTQ

I think you got lucky.

But, I've been there too, so I'm not going to pull the "holier than thou" card. I simply cannot believe that with a standing broadside shot at a distance of 900 yards that you were aiming for the head. Sorry, not buying it, but congrats on your cow.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcraig
Although this is the Long range Forum, I would think that anyone would care more about the Possible wounding of a fine game animal that might be left to starve to death because of a shot off jaw than trying to impress someone with their prowess /

There is a difference between taking a high percentage shot and an shot like the video portrays.

That wasn,t a portrayel of an ethical hunter taking a reasonable long range shot.
That was a portrayel of an ignorant slob hunter .
Although he has shooting skills he doesn,t care enough about the animals to to care if one starves to death because of a misplaced shot of just a few inches.

In my oppinion only an uncaring idiot would even attempt a shot like that on an unwounded animal.

I think that anyone that thinks that this is fine example of long range hunting needs to reevaluate the whole picture and not just the fact that an animal was killed at long range.

Said it better than I could.

There has to be a better way of trying to prove one's manhood than this..........

Gerry.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
I don’t like head shots on game at ANY range. It is always a lousy percentage shot and results in wounding as often as not.

This is a long range hunting forum and to me when hunting its my responsibility to make a clean kill. That means taking the highest percetage shot no matter what range the animal is at. I would have been much more impressed with that shot had it been a boiler room shot. I tend to doubt people who make gimic shots at long range. “yeah, I meant to do that, really!” sure you did!

Evidently my percentage is a lot higher than what you assume. I"ve NEVER lost a head shot. Of course I doubt I've done more than maybe 150 of them. I did make one once that changed HOW I make head shots. Since then I"ve never had to follow one either, only that one. And it wasn't any different than a bad any shot. Follow it up, shoot it a second time and it was done. Nothing to it.

So for me, within my parameters the head is a viable HIGH percentage target that I've never had a failure on.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
900 yard head shooting is [bleep] up.

End of story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And then came here to brag. Not many posts since he joined. miles

Loc: Utah, north

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Operating within your skill level coupled with taking high percentage shots is what it's all about. I don't care if it's 9 or 900, or even 9000 yards a head shot is always a bad choice. To take an already very low percentage shot at long range is even more irresponsible. Believe me I would be just as critical of those "average" 100 yard head shooters too. Hunting isn't the place to show off, do that at the range or when shooting inanimate objects.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it had been a coyote that's one thing....an elk is something totally different.....
If you got her, I'll bet it was a beatch getting her out....any hero photos of her on the ground?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
SamOlson said it best

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I only worry about what I can control.

Could you explain how you were controlling a wild animal at 900yrds?

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like you just caught top left side of her head when I froze the frame. If that is where the bullet impacted, Another 2"right she would have been running up the hill with a pierced ear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I was aiming at the head, which is where it hit. I understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I wouldn't have taken the shot if I wasn't confident that I would hit it. Distance to target is irrelevant without the understanding and practice it takes to make a shot. How many deer get they're jaws blown off at 100yds? I'd say far more than there are at 900yds, for two reasons I suggest; not many people practice hunting at that range, and secondly those that do hunt in the realm of 100 yds are far more numerous a group, and that group likely includes the portion of hunters with shall we say less dedication. Thereby resulting in far more wounded/unrecovered animals.

I certainly dont mean to imply that headshots at this or any distance is unethical, that is up each individual. For every hunter, there is another hunter who disagrees with the first's practices. I only worry about what I can control.

Taking head shots on unwounded elk at 900yds is stupid.

Personally I think you went for the chest and missed. The elk was unlucky and had it's head in the way of the bullet.

I watched most of your other videos and nothing there showed a skill level necessary to reliably make first round hits on sub MOA targets at 900yds.

Feel free to hang some other evidence that would show you have in the past proven you have such skill.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What do you guys think?

With that title I didn't bother to watch.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Why would you shoot at the head when the shoulder/chest area was clearly exposed?!!!! Someone needs to re-examine their thought process.

We have a guy in our hunting club who insists on trying to shoot deer in in the head. I can't tell you how many times several of us have searched through briars, etc. trying to find his "almost good shots".

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I agree with Sam & Smokepole!!!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
Operating within your skill level coupled with taking high percentage shots is what it's all about. I don't care if it's 9 or 900, or even 9000 yards a head shot is always a bad choice. To take an already very low percentage shot at long range is even more irresponsible. Believe me I would be just as critical of those "average" 100 yard head shooters too. Hunting isn't the place to show off, do that at the range or when shooting inanimate objects.

I don't do it to show off. I do it under controlled shot situations harvesting meat. I don't even call it hunting really. Since that word seems to piss off folks around here for some reason.

Its a clean fast kill. Meat is in better shape. No mess in the cavity to deal with when cleaning.

its how we shot our cows, our hogs etc...

The brain is a BIG target at closer ranges. Its as big as an good sized orange on our deer. If I can't center up an orange then I've no business shooting.

And if the conditions or me isn't right, I'll go to the lungs and deal with the mess.

but to disregard a head shot is a bit arrogant and ignorant. They work wonders and as noted my success is 100% so far. Thats better than a few folks success at ribcage shots.

And the way I set up for my shots, its dead or miss these days. I shoot high on a high target. Only thing that can do is drop the head which is a miss, or go left/right which is a miss also. If I can hit the brain or the skull surrounding it, its DRT.

I still agree 900 under perfect conditions is not the place to do it though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Why would you shoot at the head when the shoulder/chest area was clearly exposed?!!!!

I can't figure that one out either...This fella seems awful proud of himself in his videos...

Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.