Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Why do you say that?
In your oppinion will it not be good enough to do what I want to do?Deer Hunting that is

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just purchased a new VX-1, 3-9x40 back in December, and it is
a very nice scope, and well suited for hunting. I also have
a Vari-X II scope, from the 70's with the simple coatings.

The new VX-1, is multi-coated with better click settings, and
is a big step up in brightness. A nice value in the $200.
range.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by whitedogone
The vx1's glass suck.

You'll get lots of varying opinion, just make sure you're comparing apples to apples. You have VX-I's with Roman numerals which were replaced with better VX-1's with arabic numbers.

And finally the VX-1's made since 2012 are much improved, and are essentially a pre-2012 VX-2. Folks using older scopes may have some complaints, but I have none with current production VX-1's.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To be fair- mine that I wasn't crazy about was indeed a pre 2012 without click adjustments. If new ones are also brighter then obviously I would like them better than my old one.

Let me just throw out we are talking about 50 + year old eyes and if you are planning to keep it for another five to ten years or more the extra $75 for a VX2 may well prove more than its worth. I know my eyes aren't what they were even five years ago. Something to consider - perhaps. Hope you like whatever you get BCraig.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Burris FFII is a much better optic at a lower price point.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by whitedogone
The Burris FFII is a much better optic at a lower price point.

Not in low light, at least not to my eyes.

And, yes I have a couple of those FFIIs also, but due to their lower performance, (per my eyes), in low light, I now use them on rimfires and target rifles only.

That said there seems to be more disagreement on optics than any other subject on the campfire. Everyone seems to see things differently, so it's important to experiment and decide for yourself. Try a VX1 and if you don't like it you can sell it to someone in Classifieds w/o losing much money. Ditto for the FFII.

My comments are in regard to the latest, post 2012 version of the VX1.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by bcraig
Yes I realize the VX2 is a better scope.
Do you believe you could kill more squirrels with the VX2?
Absolutely not.....Just as many squirrels will die with My VX 1's as would die if I had Nightforce scopes on My rimfire rifles........Lol............Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I am really behind the times with my OLD Denver made Redfield ILLUMINATOR and Lo Pro Widefield

Molan Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AMRA
I guess I am really behind the times with my OLD Denver made Redfield ILLUMINATOR and Lo Pro Widefield

Nothing wrong with old Denver Redfields. I have a 3-9x Illuminator WF and a 5 star on rifles used regularly. Never a problem. I have a couple of new (Leupold) Redfields that I think are excellent values.

I have two VX-I scopes that I rate as better than the couple of Elite 3200 Bushnells I have owned. One is on a Ruger 77 in 270 and one on a Tikka 260. Tough, reliable, and bright enough to hunt to legal extremes of the day.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a couple of VX-1s on a 22 and 22 mag. They're ok but nothing to rant about. The VX-2 and VX-3 models are definately a step up in quality.

Last edited by Ghostman; 02/23/15.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I just pulled a new VX1 39x40 off my 7mm-08. I bought it last spring and mounted it during a round of scope roulette. I hunted it this fall and wasn't too impressed. It just got replaced because I wasn't happy with its low light performance. I felt like I lost a fair amount of time around the legal shooting time limits that I would have otherwise had should I have kept the Zeiss Conquest that it replaced or the Fullfield II that was originally on the gun.

I understand that it's not in the same price point as the Conquest, but for $100 more I could have bought a VX-2 that probably would have stayed on the gun due to the lighter weight when compared to the Zeiss, without giving up as much optically. Or I could have bought another FF II for $50 less.

I have to find a gun to put it on, because it was a pretty good scope and it held fine (not like a 7mm-08 is a hard kicking gun). It will probably go on my beater 270 Win.

Last edited by Petro; 02/23/15.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I suppose truly that everyone sees things differently.
I had a Leupold 2 to 7 x33 Rifleman that I used to use on a 22 to squirrel hunt with.
Using the scope I could see to shoot anytime i could see the squirrel. Well before daylight and well after daylight.
The Vx1 is supposed to be a brighter scope than the Rifleman .
I expect to be able to see a deer with a VX1 just fine.
If I can see the deer I suspect I will be able to place the shot.
I dont expect a scope to be good enough to say look out into a field and see deer I cant even see with the naked eye !
After all I am not going to be looking around with my rifle unless I am sure It is a deer I am looking at !

As long as a scope will hold zero and allow me to hunt 30 minutes before sunlight and 30 Minutes after sundown (Legal hunting ours in Arkansas)I will be satisfied .

I think that I have enough info both from this thread and my experience with a Rifleman scope to be assured that the VX1 will do that for me.

Thanks for the input guys
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're going to be well suited with your choice. I've been able to shoot earlier and later than you mention with these scopes in the past. They're brighter options available, but the various 3-9X40 Leupold scopes are good enough. Good enough is all that is required...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a VX I coming on a rifle I bought, trying to decide if I want to keep it. I found this thread, it was helpful. I have a .22 that needs a scope, I’ll keep it for the 22.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
I just purchased a new VX-1, 3-9x40 back in December, and it is
a very nice scope, and well suited for hunting. I also have
a Vari-X II scope, from the 70's with the simple coatings.

The new VX-1, is multi-coated with better click settings, and
is a big step up in brightness. A nice value in the $200.
range.

I have almost the exact situation. I have a Vari-XII from the 1980's and just got a new VX1 back around the first of the year. They were on sale. The VX-1 is noticeably brighter and I have killed a lot of deer with the Vari-XIIc. I sure don't think the new one is gonna hold me back.

One thing I have noticed is that my eye glasses don't play well with scopes. The glasses have some kind of anti-glare coating on them that seems to make things look cloudy through the scope, to the point that I thought something was wrong with it. Looked through it without the glasses and it was good as ever.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/14/18.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a $100-150 scope, I like used examples of the VX-1 and the Redfield Revolution version, in 3-9x40 or 2-7x33. They are tough to beat. I kill stuff with them every year, sometimes in fading light. Do I expect better performance from $350+ optics at last light? Of course, but it isn't exactly a night and day difference. Pun intended......

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
One of the guys I hunt with has a VX-1 on his rifle. I have a VX-2 and VX3s. The view gets better as the number goes up. But you could shoot every deer you have a shot at during legal hours with all of them.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have always had a few Leopold in use for over 40 years.
Currently have a VX-1, VX-3, and 3 Redfield (Leupold) Revolutions.
All 5 of these relatively current offerings have much better optics, coatings, and performance than any of the older Leupolds, and none of the old stuff ever “cost me a deer” because of poor optics.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have VX III’s on everything else, I can see a good bit before its legal to shoot and a good bit after legal shooting time is up. I think a firedot would be great for pig hunting. I had a bunch come out last year, right at dark. I couldn’t see the black cross hair on a black pig. I centered him in the scope, killed him, but it would have been easy with a lighted dot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have recommended VX-1's to new hunters and they are happy with them. I have a VX-2, VX-II and a VX-3i now. I got all three on sale, and the VX-2 I think only cost me $155, and the VX-II $165. I got lucky when Fred Meyer used to sale guns and would clearance optics out about once a year.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
763 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.