Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rong Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hey guys,
Wondering if anyone is familar with this.Mrs Rong has a small area on her face and needs to have it removed.
Anyone experience this before,what is she to expect?She has met with her
Dr.and he says its very common,
Thanks in advance

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it is spelled "squamous"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squamous-cell_carcinoma

p/s I think they take them off with liquid nitrogen if they are small. best of luck to your wife and you.

If doc says not to worry, don't worry. by a hat and stay out of the sun!

Sycamore

Last edited by Sycamore; 02/23/15.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Too much sunshine. Should be ok after excision and probably full skin thickness.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had several removed from my face by freezing, my Dad had one that was bigger and required wide excision surgical removal. Outcome for both of us was fine because we caught it early. Can't say enough about the need for yearly dermatoligist exams especially as we get older.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It is the second most common skin cancer behind basal cell. I had one removed from my temple about 2 years ago. Most of these get caught early and have an almost 100% success rate. If it isn't caught early it is like any other type of cancer. The normal procedure is called Moh's surgery. They'll numb it up and cut a scallop from here face. They'll hopefully have a lab in the building to test the margins of the scallop. They'll keep cutting until they have clear margins. Clear margins usually means they've got it all. They stitch it up, let it heal, and life goes on. She really needs to stay out of the sun from this point forward. Neutragena spf 50+ is her best friend. I have dry skin and use a hand lotion with spf 15 in it everyday. I wear Neutragena at least spf 50 on my face and arms every time I'm in the sun. I also have an impressive collection of sun shirts and hats. A Tilley hat of some flavor is a good hat and also looks good.

If they caught it early, consider it a good warning sign that she needs to stay out of the sun.

Another word of caution, most skin damage occurs at an early age. Sun damage is cumulative which is why she needs to stay out of the sun - but the big take away is that she is very likely to get more spots - even if she never goes back into the sun. The future spots are the result of the cumulative lifetime damage. I've had 4-5 basal cells and 1 squamous cell removed in the past 5 years and I've been doing my sun routine for at least the last 7 years. I expect more. I'm really, really hoping to avoid melanoma. It doesn't run in my family, basal cell does, but melanoma is bad news. She'll also be on at least a 6 month check up schedule into the foreseeable future.

Good luck and tell her to pay attention to her skin.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would also add that cloudy days are no guarantee of no sun damage as UV rays penetrate clouds.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This cancer is really slow growing and if you get it before it breaks through the skin and spreads it should be just like removing a wart.

[Linked Image from ]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Ms will be ok. I had one removed from my right cheek and one removed from top of head. Did it my freezing. Scab falls off in about a week and leaves no scar.

And no it wasn't the cheek above my right hip.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had two spots "cut off" (scraped, actually) recently. Just found out last week when the biopsies came back that they don't think they got it all, looks like it will require a more extensive "surgery", waiting to hear about that now. They told me also it was from sun, possibly all those years in the surf and offshore?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All good advice here. Catch it early and it is very likely not a big deal.

BUT these darn things can pop up here and there and again and again. Do not neglect having the skin checked ever year or so.

Seems that sometimes even what seems to be small little cancers can have a "root" on them that can go deep into your skin. The Moh's (?) surgery is required. I was fortunate and the doc recognized a problem when he saw it. Was a little thing on the surface but extended deep into the skin. If you get one froze off and a year later one comes back in the same spot, get to the doc quick.

I have had three surgeries and numerous basal and squamous cancers froze off and it seems I need some sort of treatment every year or so. Grew up in Arizona, life guard etc.... the skin damage was done and the things erupt again and again.

TF

btw, my wife can now tell the difference in the types and helps in the "inspection." However, this last time in, she did miss one on the top of my head.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TF49
All good advice here. Catch it early and it is very likely not a big deal.

BUT these darn things can pop up here and there and again and again. Do not neglect having the skin checked ever year or so.

Seems that sometimes even what seems to be small little cancers can have a "root" on them that can go deep into your skin. The Moh's (?) surgery is required. I was fortunate and the doc recognized a problem when he saw it. Was a little thing on the surface but extended deep into the skin. If you get one froze off and a year later one comes back in the same spot, get to the doc quick.
this
I have had three surgeries and numerous basal and squamous cancers froze off and it seems I need some sort of treatment every year or so. Grew up in Arizona, life guard etc.... the skin damage was done and the things erupt again and again.

TF

btw, my wife can now tell the difference in the types and helps in the "inspection." However, this last time in, she did miss one on the top of my head.

have my head sprayed every month or so , keep ahead of it.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Crap! The one they froze off last year (after freezing one off the year before) has returned within 6 months!
I'll need to check with the dermatologist. (Staying out of the sun isn't an option for this old cowboy!)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Squamous cell cancer can be readily treated but has to be treated aggressively. When you say on the face it sounds like a skin cancer. Is that what you mean?
Depending on a lot of things, like where it is, how big it is, how deep it is and so on it might be an easy deal or a very big deal. Maybe a simple freezing will do it if the thing is quite small. Or, it may require surgery or possibly radiation therapy.

Only the doctors who are seeing her can give good advice applicable to her situation but the general information you are getting here is good, just general and it can't be specific for her unless it's by a doctor who has examined her.

As noted above, it needs to be treated adequately or it can come back. And, and this is a very big 'and', squamous cell cancers have the potential of spreading or metastasizing and that is a truly big deal.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like g5m said, it can spread so don't delay having it addressed. In May 2013 I was diagnosed with stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma that started in my tonsils and spread to my neck & lower jaw. By the grace of God, it went no further and after 7 weeks of chemo/rad I'm still clean.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had one on my chest removed surgically and looks like Zorro got a hold of my azz. 3 others just zapped w/nitrogen. The curse of being a blond haired, blue eyed white boy that ran around half naked as a young'un.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Crap! The one they froze off last year (after freezing one off the year before) has returned within 6 months!
I'll need to check with the dermatologist. (Staying out of the sun isn't an option for this old cowboy!)

I went to Dermatologist for years with basal cells that would crop up from time to time. One in particular on my lip that a Family Doc had cut off and a lab had called "pre-cancerous" never actually went away. The Dermatologist sliced it off, sent it to a lab, and they said margins were clear. But it stayed a little rough spot.

Then a different Family Doc happened to see it, and another one that had just come up on the other side of my lower lip.
She sent me to Head and Neck Surgeon who had an on-premise lab.

He wound up doing a "Lip Shave" on my lower lip. They basically just peel the skin all the way back and dig out the cancer. There were two of them, both Squamous Cell.

Forty some odd stitches in the lower lip are NOT a fun deal.

Piss on a bunch of Dermatologists as far as I'm concerned. The Surgeon freezes the ones he thinks he can remove that way, and cuts out the rest.

I've never had one come back that he has treated.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
What was your surgeon's specialty (listing) curdog?
I believe I need to look one up, as my dermatologist appointment is in May - and can NOT be advanced, as he is overbooked, already.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a basal cell carcinoma several years ago that was removed with the Moh surgery. It seemed like they cut out a chunk of flesh the size of my finger from my shoulder. The lab said said the margins were clear and as far as I know they got it.

Get it cut out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
What was your surgeon's specialty (listing) curdog?
I believe I need to look one up, as my dermatologist appointment is in May - and can NOT be advanced, as he is overbooked, already.

He is Dr. Prestridge. His clinic is "Head and Neck Surgical Associates." Basically, he treats any ailment from the neck up. He has a couple other Docs on staff as well.

I was originally referred to him by my family doctor for a sinus infection, and he put me on a regimen I still follow for it.

From what I was told by the Dr. who sent me to him for the lip cancer, an operation on the lip is really tricky. It's easy to wind up with a drool or a hanging lip.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What regimen for your sinus?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.