Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 007FJ
Attack...I should have remembered that.

Yes I remember those cousins in 137 with their gay gold canopies!

I am sure I would have transitioned to Prowlers being an AT had I stayed in after they whacked the Intruders.

Anyone who love the outdoors loves Whidbey! You would have enjoyed it out there. My cousin was an AE who spent his whole 20 years at Whidbey. He was the final troubleshooter on my first cat shots off Indy when I was a clueless lt(jg) and got me both halves of the hold-back fitting. It sits on my desk and work and people often ask what the heck is that broken piece of metal grin

The gold plate on the canopies ($500K per set) was supposed to protect us from the electromagnetic radiation from the pods but after they were banged and scraped by cranials and helmets in the break we all had our doubts. I blame it on my wife and I not having kids. wink

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I knew what the canopies were supposed to do of course just hazing you. Cool that he snagged that for you.

If we had been at Whidbey, I might have stayed in but not for sure. We had our second October 1, 1990. Pretty hard on a young wife to be solo in VaBch with a 4 and newborn while I was floating around the world all help from the family 1586 miles away.

Very possible that all of that high powered RF zinged your potency. Remember all of that training warning us about the high concentration of energy around the flight deck. You took it with you every sortie to double up on the dosage.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

If we had been at Whidbey, I might have stayed in but not for sure. We had our second October 1, 1990. Pretty hard on a young wife to be solo in VaBch with a 4 and newborn while I was floating around the world all help from the family 1586 miles away.

Yea, that hit a lot of people in the VAQ community. There were never enough Prowlers to go around and even when I went to the reserves in 97 I ended up getting recalled to active duty 5 times for deployments in the next 10 years. Deployments, work-ups, red flags, china lake dets and all the other demands were hard on everyone. Great community and Whidey was great but we were gone a lot. I don't think in 8 years up there I ever had 60 days in a row at home.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Speaking of movies....I was on cruise in VF-33 on the America (off Libya) when Top Gun came out. My wife took my daughter and 5 year old son to see it and in one of the first scenes, the XO is addressing the class and he has a big, VF-33 monkey patch on his flight jacket.

Proud young son jumps up in the packed theater, points and yells, "that's my Daddy's squadron!" grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
perfectly good gun thread turns into a bunch of wingnuts reminiscing laugh

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Navlav8r...Was VA-55 on that cruise with you? R.Y. Weber was my CO in 42 later XO of the America when I went to 85 in 1989. One of the finest Naval Aviators I ever knew.

He showed us videos from bombing those gun boats and rafts. So awesome even with the poor video quality back then.

Pugs...Did your buddy in 137 ever have a copy of the Bad Company video that was played at the beginning of every launch during Desert Storm? Wished I had a copy of that.

Sorry for the side show on the gun safe thread but be glad none of us started with "this ain't no sh++" and started telling sea stories from the good ole days.

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dawggone

See my previous apology...sort of! smile

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N

Yeah, but it's a bunch of "gun nut" wing nuts, not just your every day wingnut!

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Turn out the lights on that middle photo and it's not nearly as much fun shocked

OBTW you need to put up some shots of Phantoms or Tomcats on your bins grin

That sea state and an easy divert makes night not fun but OK. Throw in a pitching deck and blue water and it's time to replace the seat cushion.

Why would I put pointy nose jet pictures in my shop when everyone knows jets shaped like a drumstick get the real work done. grin

What you REALLY need is a nice head on shot of SLUF the magic war wagon. A-7E, the only jet in the fleet that descended to cruising altitude off the cat.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Yeah, but it's a bunch of "gun nut" wing nuts, not just your every day wingnut!

Then it is acceptable grin

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Corsair...thankfully that and the Phantoms were phased out for the most part by my time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On a positive note...at least it was Pugs thread.

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Corsair...thankfully that and the Phantoms were phased out for the most part by my time.

Ouch...age is creeping up on me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pugs, you an old A6 jock?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Super sized ones...Prowlers

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
VA-34 "Blasters" were in Airwing One at that time and they sure put a hurtin' on some gunboats.

One night, we were on CAP and a guy in our sister squadron, VF-101 came up on "Strike" freq and said, "Strike, Diamondback 1__, every time we fly over this surface contact, they shoot at us."

It was really poor radio discipline on my part but I couldn't help myself and I came up and said, "WELL, DON'T FLY OVER THEM!" laugh That was one of the gunboats that was taken out later that night. smile

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Super sized ones...Prowlers

Also known as "station wagons" grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pugs,

VA-42 & VA-85
AT2 WC 210 Night Supervisor (89) Indian O and (91) Desert Storm Cruises USS America
85-91

I was there with you. VS-32 Maulers..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I tried to do just that before we moved to Australia a couple of years ago and realized I needed another rather large safe.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I tried to do just that before we moved to Australia a couple of years ago and realized I needed another rather large safe.

Heck, in retirement I think I'll need a safe just for the rimfires.

My name is Allen and I have buying .22s problem. blush Everyone together "Hi Allen" grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 46 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.