24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are going to buy this rifle for one hunt than buy a .375, the recoil of it and the .340 is about equal and not as daunting as most gunwriters would have you believe. I honestly believe my .340 with glass stock has less felt recoil than my partners wooden .300 Winnie.
<br>
<br>If you don't really want a new rifle for BB's than just load your .300 with 225 grn. bullets. It will be fine unless you get into a serious charge. Than even the .375 can be too small.

Mickey

"Instead of getting married again I am just going to find a women I don't like and give her a house"
BP-B6

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BW is dead on... if you shoot any 300 well and use premium bullets, bring it... wrong answer, wrong answer... buy whichever new rifle blows your dress up and then bring whichever one you shoot best. This should be viewed as a buying opportunity, just don't get hung up thinking you need more bore. ;-)
<br>
<br>I used to use a 300WM for back-up and never felt under-gunned...
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My current rifle is a .300 WBY MAG. I bought for the variety of game that i could hunt with it (thinking this would be the one "big" gun that I could use anywhere in North America). I feel really comfortable with it and enjoy shooting whenever i get the chance. It is the one gun that goes to the range with me each and everytime i go, regardless of what I plan on taking.
<br>
<br>Don't get me wrong I would love another reason in the future to buy a new rifle. [Linked Image] I don't plan on an Alaska trip (for brown bear) for at least 3-4 years. I am hoping within the next two years to make it up there for a caribou hunt (which I'm pretty sure the .300 Wby should be plenty).
<br>
<br>Thanx
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with the notion the 375 H&H is a better choice. It's felt recoil is less than the 340, and it has a bigger bullet. Also, ammo is available everywhere. However, like most everyone here will say, the 30 cal and up rifle that you can shoot best will be your best choice.
<br>
<br>BTW, I have become very skeptical of manufacturers claims, especially Wby's velocity claims.
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had four 338 WM's and two 375 H&H's... since you already have a 300 WBY, I believe the 338 WM (and 340 WBY) aren't enough of a real step up over the 300 WBY... for a Brown Bear hunt I'd rather have a 375 H&H that's tuned and feeds perectly... you'd be set for the entire world with those two.
<br>
<br>AFP, I chrono'd a friend's 26" bbl'd 340 WBY... 3,020 fps with 250 grain factory ammo... that's scooting along!
<br>
<br>Brad

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Anyone have any experience in converting a SUCK Mag Action to the Ultra Mag? Other than changing the magazine box, is there any other conversions necessary?
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have done plenty of the them.
<br>if doing a 3006 or other LA with a standard bolt face, then the bolt face must be opened and small bit of milling must be done in the action to widen it. it is fine length wise.
<br>If it is to be done on a LA with a magnum bolt face, then only the mag box must be changed.
<br>
<br>There is a small differerance in the width of the opening into the action. The bolt rails are a few thousanths wider on the non magnum action VS a new 700 from the factory chambered in the RUM offerings. I mic'd them and now do a very little mill work on them to make them the same. I reallt dont know if it is neccesary, but I figure why not make em the same.
<br>
<br>Celt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another convert to the Dark Side???? (grin)

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad,
<br>
<br>That is is sreaming........My barrel was a 27 inch Shilen, and I tried it both with and without freebore. I was able to achieve 3000 fps with 250 grainers, but the accuracy just wasn't there and pressure were a tad high--it would give me 1.5" at best, and that was with Gamekings.
<br>
<br>Blaine

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a great ballistics step from the .300 Weatherby to the .340 Wby.
<br>
<br>For example, a factory .300 Weatherby round with a 220-grain SP bullet produces 2,845 fps/3,954 foot-pound at the muzzle. At 400 yards, this bullet is traveling around 1,751 fps, and the retained energy is around 1,497 foot-pound. Sighted +1.7" at 100 yards, the bullet drops to -8.8" at 300 yards, and -26.4" at 400.
<br>
<br>A .340 factory round with a 250-grain SP bullet produces 2,965 fps/4,873 foot-pound at the muzzle. This bullet is traveling around 2,149 fps at 400 yards, and the retained energy is 2,563 foot-pound at that distance. Sighted +1.7" at 100 yards, the 250 grainer hits the 300-yard mark at -7.2", and -20.3" at 400 yards.
<br>
<br>Yes, one can argue that ballistics do not matter in real hunting conditions, but they can give you an idea on which one of the two has more punch. That said, in Alaska the .338WM outnumbers the .375 H&H by a wide margin. In fact, the most popular cartridges in Alaska are the .30-06, .300WM, and the .338WM.
<br>
<br>

IC B3

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ray,
<br>
<br>Brad's point was that if you are going to make a step up in power from a 300 Wby, why not take a major step up? The 340 (like the 338 Win Mag and 338-06) is certaily a step up in killing power over a 30 caliber. But the 375 H&H gives you a much larger step up for no more recoil.
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blaine, exactly. Also, with the great bullets available today I've become doubtful that the 33's (as much as I love them) are really much of a step up from the 30's. I'll put my idea to the test this year as I put away the 338 WM and will take all my game this year with a 300 WSM loaded with 180 FailSafes at 2,900 fps. I'll probably use the 300 WSM for the next few years to try to gain some real field experience with it in order to be able to honestly evaluate it against my longtime favorite, the 338 WM. I'll report back on the subject in a few years!
<br>
<br>Brad

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boy I don't know,my 338Ultra/210XLC combo is MOST impressive. I like the Big30's,always have,but the 338Ultra is a whole 'nuther class of animal!
<br>
<br>It has MOJO that the Big30's never even dared dream of....................
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have NEVER seen an animal hit the ground like what I witnessed in AK this spring -- twice. The 338 Ultra with 210 XLC's pretty well slam big bears to the ground like I've never seen. Imagine an invisible freight train turning 500+ pounds of solid muscle and bone into a limp rag doll, hitting so hard the bear is whiplashed in the process. One of those events that make you look at the guy next to you and simply say "whoa!"
<br>
<br>I came home and bought one! I have 2 cow elk tags, a buck tag and a bear tag to try and fill in a few weeks. In a month, I'll be happy to report what the Ultra does to any of these critters that happen to cross my path ...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Muley Stalker,
<br>
<br>I wanted the 338 Ultra earlier this summer, after I already bought my 338 WM, but ended up in being coaxed into buying a 375 H&H instead. Maybe a few years down the road.
<br>
<br>Good luck on the hunts.
<br>

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick,
<br>
<br>If you were going into the alders after a gut shot record book Brownie, would you rather have the 338 RUM with a 210 XLC of a 375 H&H with your choice (250 grainer?) of XLC/X bullet?
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The end result would be the same. A good shot would seal the deal,a poor shot would call for some rapid bolt manipulation,in either chambering!
<br>
<br>The most fantastic Brownie footage I have been privvy to(one shot kills),has been way of the 338Ultra. It stands them up! None of my Ultra totin' pards has recovered a bullet(X's of course),to see how well they worked(grin).
<br>
<br>I see the 338Ultra as a magnificent "all arounder",if the guy toting it,can shoot it well. I know quite a few guys who have them and are very serious about eeking the most out them(practice,practice,practice). The consensus is that it is simply marvelous,in both it's Oooomph and flexibility.
<br>
<br>I concur wholeheartedly.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't want either of the rifles with an X bullet.
<br>
<br>The .375 with a 300 grain Barnes or Woodleigh Soft. .458 better still. At that point you may need something to knock it back on it's butt and the bigger the bullet the better chance.
<br>
<br>While the X bullet seems to be the popular choice hear in Africa the jury is still out on them because of a tendency to act like a solid at times and not open up. A small hole clear through a large animal is just that. A small hole.
<br>
<br>In the latest Rifle Shooter Mag (got it today) Boddington posts factory ballistics of the RUM and the .340 250 grain NP and the Weatherby is about 100fps faster. Handloading would change that but if you have to buy a box, then which one would you want?
<br>

Mickey

"Instead of getting married again I am just going to find a women I don't like and give her a house"
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick,
<br>
<br>I'm pressing you a little on this because you are one of they guys who post here who has access to real experiences, like you described in your last post. My questions is not intended to be sarcastic or challenging, but are genuine requests for info.
<br>
<br>If I understand correctly, you are saying a 338 RUM (with the proper bullet) will stop a big brownie as quickly as a 375 H&H (also with the proper bullet)?
<br>
<br>How would the 338 RUM compare to the 340 Wby, 338 Win Mag, 338-06 in the same situation (Assuming peoper bullets and shot placement)?
<br>
<br>What about the 30 cals?
<br>
<br>Blaine

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Proper bullet placement with any of the above cartridges/bullets equals a dead bear and dead is dead. I shot a brownie with a 338 winny first shot broke its neck where it meets the shoulders with a 250 gr. silvertip. The bear collapsed forward into the sand. The same results would happen with a lot of cartridge/bullet combos. Proper bullet placement doesn't create much controversy.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 3,170 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.