Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Ok, so not totally like Ingwe.

Words Hurt.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SWJ
Originally Posted by Pappy348
...Have you looked at the NECGW site? They offer to do most, if not all of what you want. They're not cheap, but certainly cheaper than a Dakota, and you can continue to use your faithful Zastava...

Hey Pappy, has NECG done any work for you? I'm considering them for a project and looking for feed back.

Thanks

Scott

P.S. Sorry for the hijack but didn't think it would matter since it has digressed to porkers.

No, but Terry Wieland trusted them to do a G&H side mount on a Mannlicher (I think) a while back. I think they have a pretty good reputation.

I have a first-class guy nearby in Boyce, VA. He did a fine custom Low Wall .257 for somebody on here a while back. I'm still drooling over that one. Anyway, most of the work I need can be handled with a screwdriver or BFH.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Quarter ribs hinder scope choices, objective size. Other than how they look, I don't know if I'd spend a bunch of money having one fitted. Just me.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now don't you think this would look better with a Rigby fore-end, barrel band swivel, wrap front sight, and quarter rib?

O [Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Looks fine to me.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
From the man with a safe full of "pretty!"

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup. cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I might ultimately go unconventional, though. The Merkel Helix looks pretty cool...in 7x64, 6.5 Swede, or boring .270. But don't tell Ingwe.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I like the Mauser M 12 in a 7x64. There's a Gun store in El Paso that has one in .30-06 and it's just "Heavenly." grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm wondering about that straight pull action. Match that with the .280 (by any other name) and I'm thinking "pig killing machine"! I need to post a thread to see what those who've used the Helix think of it.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Could be wrong,but the Mauser M 12 is a regular bolt action not a straight pull.

Post it up Rev, there's bound to be someone here who has used a Helix.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm wondering about that straight pull action. Match that with the .280 (by any other name) and I'm thinking "pig killing machine"! I need to post a thread to see what those who've used the Helix think of it.

If you could tolerate straight pull, look into a Blaser. They are some of the most accurate rifles I have played with, the decocking safety is great, the new R8 S can be had for $2600 or so, and you can get it in 7x57.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
You're right: M12 is a conventional action. And you're also right about the Helix: On the 'fire, there'll be opinions...firsthand or otherwise! grin

I'm thinking 7x64 with an extra 9.3 barrel and magazine. How does your couch sleep? eek

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
2 people and 1 dog along with 4 cats. grin

You're smart enough to separate the crapola from the actual users.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've seen the Blaser but not really familiar with it. Is it a true straight pull like the Helix? You're speaking my language when you start talking 7x57. I boar hunt, that's it. I'm entirely happy with the round.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I may need to reserve some space...if the cats will share!!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Just asked the cats,they will share. The price is a fish fillet though. laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Trout, redfish, or snook?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been watching a bunch of boar hunting videos on YouTube. Those boys with the straight-pull rifles and Aimpoints can really tear 'em up, and pile 'em up.

Since this is all fun and games anyway, I'm thinking about an Aimpoint for myself.

No use waiting 'til I'm old; I'm already there!

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
My brother-in-law just bought an Aimpoint and shared one of the video downloads he received. It's over an hour of Franz Albrecht and his friends taking out European boar in Hungary, almost all at full speed. On this particular video they're shooting Sauer 202s. Holy cow, can that fellow work a bolt. I've seen a clip of him with the Merkel and he's even faster...which is incredible. There's something to be said about young eyes and reflexes.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

If you could tolerate straight pull, look into a Blaser. They are some of the most accurate rifles I have played with, the decocking safety is great, the new R8 S can be had for $2600 or so, and you can get it in 7x57.

The Blaser is a true straight pull with interchangeable barrels. You could have a 7x57, 7x64, 8x68s and 9.3x62 on the same rifle.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (2500HD, 83mvp, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,241 guests, and 768 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.