Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
If you've ate or fed your family any wild game there were parasites in the carcass. I've cleaned more than a few rabbits that had tape worms.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are parasites in many game animals, especially bears, and black bears probably kill just as many newborn ungulates as do grizzlies.
Nobodys saying dont kill grizzlies, in fact in bc we need to kill alot more black bears and keep knocking down grizzlies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pittu

Last browny I shot, I was determined to be "ethical" and salvage meat with the hide and skull. First cut I made nicked the gut and a ball of tapeworms the size of a softball came rolling out at my feet.

I'll hang the salmon that have a few in the gut cavity; many do. But the ones which have tapeworms in their flesh, usually along with a pus-y pocket accompanying, get a fee pass to starfish heaven.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Pittu

Last browny I shot, I was determined to be "ethical" and salvage meat with the hide and skull. First cut I made nicked the gut and a ball of tapeworms the size of a softball came rolling out at my feet.

I'll hang the salmon that have a few in the gut cavity; many do. But the ones which have tapeworms in their flesh, usually along with a pus-y pocket accompanying, get a fee pass to starfish heaven.

Did I mention the smell? sick eek

Eat moose, burn spruce
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smell is always a clue, even with generally 'edible' animals. I've generally taken some bear meat. But I have never had any qualms about leaving it all either - and my ethic has long included the idea than some would be eaten. But I don't have any inclination to freshly recycle well-aged beach kills or rank salmon. As I stated earlier in this thread, one carcass we left in it's entirety but for the head and hide...was completely cleaned up...gone, in less than 2 weeks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...As I stated earlier in this thread, one carcass we left in it's entirety but for the head and hide...was completely cleaned up...gone, in less than 2 weeks.
I've seen spring brown bear carcasses cleaned to the bone in 48 hours. Early in the year there just isn't a lot to eat and the birds simply devour them.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smell is always a clue, even with generally 'edible' animals. I've generally taken some bear meat. But I have never had any qualms about leaving it all either - and my ethic has long included the idea than some would be eaten. But I don't have any inclination to freshly recycle well-aged beach kills or rank salmon. As I stated earlier in this thread, one carcass we left in it's entirety but for the head and hide...was completely cleaned up...gone, in less than 2 weeks.

Thats not the point....
If there is a trouble bear shot and killed, no problem, if a bear is killed on a guided hunt then take out the edible portions.
The grizzlies in the interior of bc aren't eating salmon on a regular basis.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't matter where they live, all bears seem to thrive on carrion when they can find it, blacks perhaps less so.. I don't know. It was obvious something bigger than birds or even foxes which hauled virtually every bone from the site of the bear kill I mentioned.

I have no problem with eating edible bears, but many of the bears hunted aren't what would generally be considered edible, that's the point. (The more probable edible ones are not the ones being targeted FWIW.) There are plenty of rutting caribou getting killed that truly can't be eaten if you need a cause. The antlers and perhaps the capes are are all that gets used there. (Yes, I know the meat must be removed from the field, but I doubt that even many ravens benefit when it ends up in the landfills.)

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 673

Thats not the point....
If there is a trouble bear shot and killed, no problem, if a bear is killed on a guided hunt then take out the edible portions.
The grizzlies in the interior of bc aren't eating salmon on a regular basis.

I get the impression you don't grasp the magnitude of this bill. Telling an outfitter that he has to retrieve the meat from a back country grizzly poses little problem for him. Extra manpower available, horses, planes, etc....

A BC resident hunter who is held to that requirement is in an entirely different situation. This effectively will further REDUCE resident opportunity.....

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is TRUE and we BC people MUST be VERY cautious about "quick fix" solutions to our current contratemps in all aspects of our environmental management.

To require a resident to remove wormy bear meat to his/her home WILL curtail the hunting of bears and we should be killing many more of them due to the over-abundance of both species in BC.

I favour a simple, rock-solid legislative solution to the entire allocation/access situation. EVERY BC person, that is Canadian citizen who resides here, gets exactly the same rights in hunting, etc. Then, the aboriginals, who play the political game to get more can use ONLY their traditional tools to hunt and all foreigners can be allowed FIVE percent in total.

NO foreign hunting at all wherever and whenever there is a LEH restriction and NO special rights for anyone.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't matter where they live, all bears seem to thrive on carrion when they can find it, blacks perhaps less so.. I don't know. It was obvious something bigger than birds or even foxes which hauled virtually every bone from the site of the bear kill I mentioned.

I have no problem with eating edible bears, but many of the bears hunted aren't what would generally be considered edible, that's the point. (The more probable edible ones are not the ones being targeted FWIW.) There are plenty of rutting caribou getting killed that truly can't be eaten if you need a cause. The antlers and perhaps the capes are are all that gets used there. (Yes, I know the meat must be removed from the field, but I doubt that even many ravens benefit when it ends up in the landfills.)

A sensible answer klikitarik
trouble is can anyone honestly judge whether the meat is edible, what about the slob hunters that just dont want the meat?

kodiakhunter
A BC resident hunter who is held to that requirement is in an entirely different situation. This effectively will further REDUCE resident opportunity.....

Nonsense
Anyone who hunts grizzlies are well prepared to take out the EDIBLE PORTIONS just as they are when hunting any other animal.
I do think I grasp the magnitude of the proposed bill, and its miniscule.
I dont hunt bears as they dont appeal to me, however if I shot a bear of whatever species I would give the meat to someone who will eat it, or I wont shoot it unless I have to.

Some of you guys think you are protecting your hunting privilages, I think that if you take the meat out then the anti's have nothing left to cry about, they cant call you a trophy hunter if you take the meat of any game animal.....
If your only after the hide, horns,antlers and leave the meat you are a trophy hunter, plain and simple.

Last edited by 673; 03/10/15.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kutenay
Some of your drival I have to agree with,
but no foreign hunting? really? are you willing to put a whole lot of bc people out of work?
No indian hunting too? why? so that you and your pals who are foreigners can hunt instead?
Political game?, look who's talking,, pot meet kettle....
If I were allowed to use traditional methods to hunt you would be blowing chunks because of the brutality of some of the traditional hunting methods.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Laffin'!

I suggest trying to read and understand what I actually said, however, given your complete misunderstanding of my comments, I doubt that is possible.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 673
[
Nonsense
Anyone who hunts grizzlies are well prepared to take out the EDIBLE PORTIONS just as they are when hunting any other animal.
I do think I grasp the magnitude of the proposed bill, and its miniscule.
I dont hunt bears as they dont appeal to me, however if I shot a bear of whatever species I would give the meat to someone who will eat it, or I wont shoot it unless I have to.

Some of you guys think you are protecting your hunting privilages, I think that if you take the meat out then the anti's have nothing left to cry about, they cant call you a trophy hunter if you take the meat of any game animal.....
If your only after the hide, horns,antlers and leave the meat you are a trophy hunter, plain and simple.

Nope, this statement clearly indicates that you do not understand the situation at all.

This bill will definitely increase pressure on the areas that are physically easier for a resident to remove 4 quarters and loins from a dead grizzly, as well as hide and skull. It will absolutely significantly reduce resident opportunity in areas where access is difficult without additional support. This will have zero effect on a guide outfitter, other than it being a minor inconvenience. How is reducing resident hunter opportunity a good thing?

This will potentially increase the risk of bear attacks on resident hunters as well, for those of us still tough enough or stubborn enough to hunt in hard to access places. After backpacking up a snowed in valley, and up an alder choked slide to kill a big bear, then skin him out and backpack his hide and skull out 10km through rotten snow, not many guys are going to be able to turn around and go BACK to a kill site that has been reeking of blood and meat for hours on end, to hump out 100lbs of bear meat. And then do it again.

I can almost guarantee that every grizzly hunter in the province for the last however many number of years you'd like, did not go out with the specific intent of killing a grizzly for meat. Some guys like it, and utilize SOME of it, and that has been their choice. More power to them.

But make no mistake about it, grizzlies have always been a "trophy" hunt. And you know what? Meat is not the only acceptable reason to hunt. Everyone hunts for their own highly personal reasons. If meat is yours, that's great. But that may not be MY reason. And I'm not going to insult YOU for meat being your reason.

This is the first step to losing our heritage in BC...The sooner resident hunters wake up and see this, the better. How long until trappers have to also utilize furbearer meat for human consumption? How long until we have to utilize meat from coyotes and wolves? Ground squirrels? Flies? Mosquitoes? After all, in your mind the only acceptable reason to kill something is to eat it, where does that stop?

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 03/11/15. Reason: added clarity

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exactly.

And to respond to 673 about the slob hunter comment:

Slob hunters who don't want the meat will just throw it in the trash once they get the hide and skull home.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Dave, the animosity between you and I notwithstanding, I sincerely congratulate you on that post, one of the finest comments on hunting on any forum that I have yet read.

One point, the Grizzly attacks on hunters and others, are often happening in places close to or in towns, the one at Fernie, last year was a place I knew well when I joined the BCFS 50 years ago next month.

The bugg*rs, often come right into Nelson, in areas built up 110 years ago and the old "Great Northern" right of way from Troop Junction to the US border, now a hiking trail for Yuppies and Yuppy puppies, is often closed due to so many foraging for early forbs and winter carrion.

That said, I think that you have "hit the nail", etc.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by SNAP
Dave, the animosity between you and I notwithstanding, I sincerely congratulate you on that post, one of the finest comments on hunting on any forum that I have yet read.

Damn...I hate to cause alarm, but this is undoubtedly time to stock up on bottled water and canned goods. The Apocalypse must be upon us when Dewey and I agree on something....

All kidding aside Dewey, I simply cannot understand why so many on HBC are applauding this bill, why it has support from ANY hunter in British Columbia. Are so many that short sighted? This is like trying to reason with a mugger when he sees the Rolex on your wrist as you are fishing out your wallet that he has requested...."But, but, I gave you my wallet! Why do you want my watch too?!?!?! I gave you my wallet!"

If this bill comes to pass, it will be a sad day in this province.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's also a lot like the Liberal/NDP agenda for gun control. They are subtle and sly, and start with baby steps that even the left end of the hunting and gun owning community will applaud as common sense, saying "well sure, why do we need to own handguns, anyway? They are only used for robbing banks." Or "well sure, why shouldn't we have to use all meat from every animal killed, it's common sense." The problem is that it's not common sense. Using meat from an animal killed is only one reason for hunting. Many people shoot gophers, coyotes, magpies, crows, and other animals without any intention to use the meat, and do it for other purposes. Though the facade of "common sense" does make sense to those who laud governments that feverishly claw their way at gaining control over our individual lives.

Next thing you know, they are going to try and require hunters to use all the meat from cougars, wolves, and badgers, too...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
How would a hunter know if the meat was inedible?
I have shot rutting mule deer that were unedible, I'll gladly have you over here to bc and I'll make you a mule deer steak on the barbi and if you can eat it all then your a better man than me, I'll buy the beer.

Just curious- what do you do with that mule deer meat that is inedible? Here in AB the law already requires that no wild meat harvested from an ungulate be wasted, and I imagine BC is the same. So if you don't eat every bite, you are not technically obeying the law. Do you really want another law with the same intent for grizzly?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.