Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I got a call from a friend of mine I knew when I lived in VA. He told me that he is selling his prewar Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06. His rates the condition of the gun at 98%, and he has been around guns enough to know what that is. The only issue is that it has a side mount with an older Weaver scope. He asked me if I wanted it, and I told him no. I have never seen the gun. He was offering it for $1400. Not sure if that is in line for a gun like that with a side mount. But if you are near Fulks Run, VA…I can probably work it so you can see the gun if you are interested. PM me if so.

I have no skin in the game, just passing info.
RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If it is everything you say, you ought to jump on this yourself! The side mount really hurts the collector value, but if I had a use for it, I would be all over it at that price. An uncut pre-war SG stock, just the stock, just sold on the 'Bay for $2275.

I expect your PM's are blowing up about now, or soon will.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I Might be interested if I could se pics of the gun. The side holes detracts from the value but sometimes they can be filled.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If the stock hasn't been cut the stock is worth more than the $1400 although I don't ever remember seeing a side mount that didn't require the stock to be cut.

If the side mount is for a 1" scope it would make a beautiful hunting rifle with a modern scope on it. It seems though that in that era 1" scopes were the exception not the norm like they are now.

If the gun really is 98% $1400 is a steal even with the side mount, if the mount wasn't there you could easilly see 3x that amount.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just to be clear, I was assuming the stock was notched for the side mount, and the receiver had some holes drilled in it. But if it is 98% and you knock $2K off a $4+K rifle, $1400 looks pretty good. If the description is accurate, somebody here is going to jump on it.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by reelman
If the stock hasn't been cut the stock is worth more than the $1400 although I don't ever remember seeing a side mount that didn't require the stock to be cut.

If the side mount is for a 1" scope it would make a beautiful hunting rifle with a modern scope on it. It seems though that in that era 1" scopes were the exception not the norm like they are now.

If the gun really is 98% $1400 is a steal even with the side mount, if the mount wasn't there you could easilly see 3x that amount.

BINGO! But damn I hate the G&H sidemounts!!! I know at the time it was the cats azZ! my Dad ordered a brand new sweet 16, he shot dove every day of season but Sundays!, we went to hardware store the day it came in, left Bdge Hardware went from there to his gun smith, he had stock cut and a vent pad put on that day! never shot the damn thing first! This was his 3 rd sweet 16, he shot high brass 7.5 on dove with a 28" mod barrel,high brass 5's on duck. I still have gun, he would wear the gold off trigger in 6 mos! very best WinPoor

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Talked to him on the phone yesterday. More detail on the gun below.

-There is a compass in the stock.

-There was a side mount on there, but has been taken off. There are holes in the receiver now.

-It is not pre war, 191,XXX is the serial number.

-There is some wood missing where the side mount was. The missing area is between the receiver and the wood. You have to look down on the gun to see it well.

-He said the rest of the metal and wood is 98%.

-He lowered his price for me to $1200.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The gun is super grade? Fellow Im going to give you free advise! He is high 98% or not! Always remember, a problem,excuse gun coming in is a problem gun going out weather you hunt it till they push you off in the hole or give to family. I do not want to throw cold water on anyones pre 64 model 70, IF you have the G&H mount and scope and the gun is Super Grade then you would be all right at that money.... my 2 c very best WinPoor

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Fellow Im going to give you free advise!

Cool. But like I said originally, I am not buying it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you are a fan of the movie "A Christmas Story", that compass in the stock thing had to make you smile, even as it made you cringe concerning a Super Grade. Depending on how big it is and how well it was done, the could be kind of cool (even as it hammers the collector value) or it could be truly, distractingly, ugly. That one is purely a matter of taste.

The fact that the wood was minimally removed, as opposed to completely notch, would help with any restoration efforts.

Although he will shoot a NIB gun, Mr. Winchesterpoor's comments reflect the mindset of serious collectors, no disrespect intended to Winpoor in particular or collectors in general. Serious collectors with pay SERIOUS money for a rare, correct gun, but after certain "taboo" things befall a gun, no matter the overall condition otherwise, you couldn't GIVE it to them. That is simply how that market works.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
If you are a fan of the movie "A Christmas Story", that compass in the stock thing had to make you smile, even as it made you cringe concerning a Super Grade. Depending on how big it is and how well it was done, the could be kind of cool (even as it hammers the collector value) or it could be truly, distractingly, ugly. That one is purely a matter of taste.

The fact that the wood was minimally removed, as opposed to completely notch, would help with any restoration efforts.

Although he will shoot a NIB gun, Mr. Winchesterpoor's comments reflect the mindset of serious collectors, no disrespect intended to Winpoor in particular or collectors in general. Serious collectors with pay SERIOUS money for a rare, correct gun, but after certain "taboo" things befall a gun, no matter the overall condition otherwise, you couldn't GIVE it to them. That is simply how that market works.

mr Gundoc7, I bought and owned shot a fantastic55' mod 70 in 06 that was an absolute cloverleaf gun using factory Federal prem,165gr Ballistic tips. the compass was done real nice in the top of comb, you could tell a pro did the work, it did not bother me a bit, Im willing to bet the gun did not have a box of ammo run thru it when I bought it. other than compass the gun was a true 98% gun, it had a redfield peep sight and the scope mount screws had never been taken out! I walked into the Shrine Temple, Matt Eastman gunshow in Albany GA with the gun and it was sold at my asking price in less than 10 min. I had sellers remorse within the next 10 min. just because the gun shot so dog darn well! Im still LMazzO at myself over that mod 70! It must have been a popular mod in the mid 50's ?( the compass in stock thing) very best WinPoor

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a Manlicher full stocked 30/06 with the little compass in the top of the butt stock as well and I've seen countless M94's with the compass in the stock. I guess that was the 1950's GPS!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This reminds me of the first new, nice gun I ever owned. My parents got me a brand new A-5 12 ga., (26" IC vent rib) for my 13th birthday. My uncle, who ran a jewelry shop in Macon took it NIB as partial payment for an engagement ring. About my third trip out with it by myself, I got turned around in the Savannah River swamp and was about 2.5 hrs. late getting back out to the logging road to be picked up. That was on a Friday and on Mon. afternoon my mom's brother showed up at our house with a stock compass and a 1.25" or 1.5" hole saw blade to keep that from happening again! Well, long story short, he got word the next day that he was being transferred by his job and the compass installation luckily fell by the wayside. Still have the A-5. It has the somewhat darker wood and the thought of that 99 cent hole saw blade ripping into it still gives me the shivers 47 years later.
John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I thought they only screwed compasses into Savage 99's. laugh

I like it here. They let me swear.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Savage 99's and Marlin 336's. I had a friend in high school that had a 336 with the compass and a pair of see-thru mounts high enough that I swear he could shoot from his hip and still use the scope:)
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by POPGUN
I thought they only screwed compasses into Savage 99's. laugh

I'm going to inlet my Mcmillan for my Oregon 550... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It will become the new "McDirectional" and out sell the Edge! laugh laugh
Total appeal to lost and confused hunters everywhere.

I like it here. They let me swear.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I guess, when you think about it, the compass thing was popular enough in "grownup" rifles that Daisy decided it could help sell a few more BB rifles. Makes sense. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the other way around.

Maybe that was a factory option Rule left out of his book. whistle

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, akpls, 14 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.