-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One of my hunting buddies is moving from the Twin Cities to Rochester. We're thinking about hunting the Whitewater area. Does anyone have any insight on this? Lodging options in the area look pretty limited. If anyone knows of a small hotel with housekeeping units down in that area we'd be most appreciative.

We're all set with good shootng slug guns an each have a ML for a backup weapon should one of our shotguns go down for some reason.

Thanks guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gophergunner
One of my hunting buddies is moving from the Twin Cities to Rochester. We're thinking about hunting the Whitewater area. Does anyone have any insight on this? Lodging options in the area look pretty limited. If anyone knows of a small hotel with housekeeping units down in that area we'd be most appreciative.

We're all set with good shootng slug guns an each have a ML for a backup weapon should one of our shotguns go down for some reason.

Thanks guys.

Jeff,

Think on this a bunch before you get in very far. I have hunted grouse down there, and there's mostly a lot of up and down. I would not like to consider dragging a deer out of that area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great area. Bad news is, there are a ton of people down there. If your not willing or can not get farther and deeper than anyone else. You will see far more orange than brown.
But.... You can bring ones out like this.
[Linked Image]
Or this!!!!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Les7603006; 02/09/15.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Very good point Dave. I was down there two years ago for the early doe season. Those hills are so steep it can be downright dangerous if you lose your balance. I'm hoping I could possibly find some bottom land and hunt that. I figure it'll take us at least a couple years to figure out where most of the pressure is and get away from it into some more un-molested areas.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff,

Considering your recent heart issues I would pass were it me. Inside Whitewater you cannot use a wheeler. You will not be able to help drag one, even a small one. I would hate to drag a 100 lb fawn up one of the hills to somewhere I could get to it with a vehicle. Going down hill through a ravine bottom until you get somewhere might be a very long drag through a lot of brush. 100 lbs of gutted fawn is pretty likely there. Even up at deer camp dragging a decent buck 100 yards through brush to one of our trails and a wheeler is plenty enough work for two people.

There are a couple of intensive managed zones down there though that you might find some decent land to get on if you do your homework.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It will depend on me finding a apot I can get to without literally killing my self. I'll have Josh with me, and he knows if I get one, I'm gonna need help.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There is a reason the deer get so big.
Maybe you could rent a motorhome.
A friend of mine killed a 9 pt that dressed at 275 lbs. A real pig.
I hunted muzzleloader there and pulling myself uphill was ridiculous.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd have to find some flat land down there somewhere, somehow. I did the early antlerless season a couple years back down there, and saw how steep and demanding that country is. I'd have to hunt the bottoms or stay up on top of a hill somehow. There's no way I could handle those slopes. Little hills, but very steep. If you really want a physical workout, go down on those hills. I'm not kidding at all when I say you all most have to staple yourself to a tree to keep from falling off the hills. Sit down against the downhill side of a tree there and fall asleep and you might find yourself 50 feet down the hill piled up against the next one you tumbled into.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelennut
There is a reason the deer get so big.

Yeah, great farmland on limestone bedrock. Hunt the surrounding private farms, not the park. Permission is possible, but might have to pay for it. Its just gully country, not mountains or anything. Plenty of flat land. mostly corn and milk cows. I used to live in Lanesboro.

Bill

There are many copies.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You need a plat book available from the county.
There are pieces of land that are available for public hunting that you have to access by crossing private property that is posted. You might have to pucker up.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.