Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I reviewed the Mauser 12 and Sauer 101 (a related rifle) for AMERICAN RIFLEMAN a year or two ago.

The Sauer uses the same basic action, but has a cocking safety on the tang instead of the M70 style 3-position on the Mauser. There are also differences in the bedding system and some other minor stuff. Essentially the Sauer is built more for the European market than America, though it does take Remington 700 mount bases. Both are VERY accurate, but that's typical of German rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quick question about the M12. Does the extreme version have a metal bottom metal/trigger guard or is it plastic? How is the bolt handle attached to the bolt? Lastly, is the action and barrel treated in some way to make it "extreme" or is it just normal blueing?

Thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think they are all blued,but mine hasn't rusted in humid Alabama.The trigger guard is metal,the magazine is polymer with a metal floorplate. The bolt is attached by a weld(I think). The rifle is well balanced and weighs about the same as a model 70 featherweight,maybe a few ounces less.

The thing that is appealing about these rifles is they are not a project in a box. The trigger,bedding,feeding,ejection,and accuracy are already there. The safety is positive yet quiet three position Model 70 type.

It is not an ultra light rifle,but it is certainly no truck gun,and I have carried a heavier rifle on lots of mountain hunts.

The only thing for me to complain about is there is no short action,my 308 is the same size as a 30-06 or 270. So if that offends you,just buy a 30-06 in the same rifle. I actually went to buy a 270,but the 308 had the best wood,a nice straight grained blond french walnut.

BobinNH would like this rifle,and the point of impact on mine doesn't shift as the barrel heats. I have certainly spent a lot more for less.

I wouldn't mind another in 270,or maybe 9.3x62.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 03/17/15.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Actually, to a working professional in resource management, here in western/northern Canada, this rifle would make an ideal truck gun, but, would be better in that role if it were STS.

The easy loading from the top, the detachable mag. or what we call a "clip" to keep your ammo handy, but, gun unloaded as is mandatory here and they CHECK, even BCFS/AFS staff are so mandated plus the familiar safety and nice handling in a hurry make it about "perfect" for such use.

No question one CAN pay more, MUCH more and get considerably less, but, here where these are about $2400.00 retail, a knowledgable mountain hunter CAN get more for this price.

The POI issue is certainly crucial, but, hardly confined to only these rifles. Each to his own, but, much as I DO like these, there are better mountain rifles out there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.