-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .270 is as good for caribou as it is for mule deer , in other words about perfect. And with Partitions, TSX, Swifts or any of the other great bullets is not a bad grizzly round either.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 458Win
The .270 is as good for caribou as it is for mule deer , in other words about perfect. And with Partitions, TSX, Swifts or any of the other great bullets is not a bad grizzly round either.

Truer words were never spoken...for "grizzly" you can substitute elk, moose, sheep, kudu, eland, gemsbok, waterbuck, zebra, T-Rex, etc, etc.

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Hank
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Does that 270 kill like the 7 Rem mag?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Does that 270 kill like the 7 Rem mag?

It is mighty tough to overcome that .007" in bullet diameter smirk , but it comes close wink

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Hank
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I carried a .270 when we did a DIY Caribou hunt on the Mulchatna quite a few years ago. 130 grain Hornady soft points worked well.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just out of curiosity Phil..... What would a 44mag shot out of a pistol do to a pissed off average brown bear? Arctic Ammo 300ish g. Fmj. Consider the shot/shots poorly placed from a scared fishing guide. Spent two summers pondering this question in your neck of the woods.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
More important than what gun you pack is not doing stupid stuff in bear country. And when it comes to bou hunting, the biggest risk you'll have is if you carry pack out the meat from the kill site in multiple trips, finding a bear that has claimed what's left.

That said I think the biggest problem hunters face when coming up is trying to gear up for every possible scenario vs. focusing on the primary reason for the trip. Since it's a bou hunt, your .270 is a fine choice and I'd let your rifle tell you what bullet it likes best whether a 150 nosler, 150 ttsx, or even a 130 ttsx.

.270's have accounted for plenty of bears over the years.

Take notes boys, you've been treated to valuable info all in one post!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My next elk hunt will have 160gr Partitions onboard. I've put that off way too long.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unremarkably, those of us that use the 270 on elk here in grizzly country never think twice about its capability on grizzlies. Mature bull elk are a heck of a lot tougher than caribou, and grizzlies are grizzlies.

Your best defense against grizzlies is using your head and keeping a clean camp. It's just not that hard. All it takes is a little care.

As was said, load what your rifle likes and rock on. My personal favorite for elk hunting is the 150 Partition, but I've seen more elk killed with factory 130's than any other round/bullet combo.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got an uncle who has a pint jar full of elk ivories in his gun closet. %80 of them were collected with an old Rem700 ADL in 270. Of that %80 about %80 of those were one shot kills. He uses Federal Premium 150 Partition ammo. All but a handful of those elk came from public land in CO up in the high country so not all easy shots on an alfalfa patch either.

Elk are tough, caribou aren't. Load good bullets, practice profusely, and be selective if you've never hunted caribou before. The mediocre bulls will look giant to a deer hunter and you'll end up shooting one you wouldn't have if you waited a little longer.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The R.S. article is by the same guy that 30+ years ago declared the .340 Wby. to be the "one" if choices came to it.

I'm getting along in years and no longer have the stamina to hunt high and hard. My magnums are all gone. I use better bullets and could easily get along with a matched pair of small ring Mausers chambered in .243 and .308. I keep about fifteen or so center fire rifles because I like them and the enjoyment they provide, certainly not for actual need.

Enjoy,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ross apparently never learned how magic the .270 was until he'd been guiding elk hunters on his Oregon ranch for a while.

At first he discouraged hunters from using the .270, but after a while saw the light. Then he wrote the article, and when people started waxing ecstatic over his insights, somebody pointed out that he was writing the same basic things Jack O'Connor wrote decades earlier. But apparently belief in the .270 is different when it comes from a .340 fan.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When we hunted caribou in Quebec, by far the most important accessory we took with us was a good head net. I would not have been able to stay in the field more than an hour if I didn't have that net on my head. The term "black flies" does not accurately describes those little pests. It should be "little black demons from the pit of hell." One guy in our camp got bitten so many times that he got sick and missed one entire day of hunting. I don't know if they are as bad in Alaska where the OP is headed, but I would not risk it! Take extra headnets too because someone in camp will not have brought one and you could sell one to them for a million dollars, and they would consider it a bargain.

Another important item to take is black pepper. Take a LOT of it, and put a LOT of it on the meat to help keep bugs off it.

Good luck and God speed on your caribou hunt.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've been on two DIY Mulchatna hunts. On the first one we never saw a bug --- we DID see snow and ice.

On the second one, the White Sox were really bad. I had SCARS on my wrists where I'd been bitten.

As far as the Black Flies go------ My tanned Caribou hide is covered with Black Fly bite marks on the inside of the hide: gruesome.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like to use my 7x57 with 175 heavies....can eat up to the wound channel. Them .270 are one shot wonders and will put the boots to most anything you hit properly. Caribou are like rabbit, pretty thin skinned and light meat/tissue density. They will run far when hit wrong, I've used many .270's so much in the past years I have nothing but praise for that caliber but as far as Grizzlies go I prefer bigger/heavier bullets, I like how they work on big Grizz. Have fun.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been on a few caribou hunts from Quebec to Alaska, and bugs can be bad early in the season. Have hunted the Mulchatna herd twice, and at the start of the first hunt all the caribou were on top of any mountain in sight, because that's the only way they could get away from bugs. By the end of the 10-day hunt (it included moose) the weather was a lot cooler, and the bugs were way down and the caribou spread out in lower country.

The general rule in most caribou country is that early in the season the bugs are bad and the caribou are in velvet, but the fishing is better (and fishing is almost always well worth bring a rod to caribou country). By the second week in September the antlers are hard (if not totally velvet free) the bugs are way down, and the fishing not so good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rainbow, Silver Salmon, and Char / Dolly fishing can be on fire in mid September. Just depends on the area and river system. Mid September is big rainbow time in the Bristol Bay Area. Big Dollies and Grayling this time of the year in Mr. Shoemaker's backyard on the peninsula.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The 270 is cool again!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by oregontripper
The 270 is cool again!

Not until Ingwe says say.
A PooBah's blessing is the ultimate endorsement.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by oregontripper
The 270 is cool again!

Not until Ingwe says say.
A PooBah's blessing is the ultimate endorsement.

JB said the .270 is magic. That right there is the trump card. Ingwe loses.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,254
Posts18,467,002
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.