Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Getting closer to Kahuna.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Twerpes is herpes and can't see the forest for the trees. Poor little twerpes is sucking hind tit laugh He actually thinks we care what he is posting ...bless his little tiny ass heart

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eh76
I have herpes and can't see. I have tits tattooed on my back to thrill my lovers when they are in my little tiny ass.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aw twerpes if I give you 50 cents will you buy a better life than the one you have? You are stoooooopid because you do not get it...I have you on ignore and do NOT read your drivel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Twerpes I can only guess at the fact that you are attempting to insult Ken and I. Keep trying little girly man laugh

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have worn glasses since the second grade for nearsightedness. I have worn trifocals for many years. I have rarely taken a shot over 200 yards on any game animal. For two very good (to me) reason. One I can't see a small item that far and I have absolutely no skill at judging range. My first .22 was a Savage 4c and it came with a Weaver 4 power scope. My Dad mounted it using the included 'N' mount using 10/32 stove bolts as he was an Electrician and that was the tap he had. Was unpretty to the point of actually being ugli but it worked like a champ. The only iron sights I ever used was on my Winchester 94 32-40 and I wasn't too good with it. I did shoot a Peep sight for first time when I was drafted in 1956. I did pretty good with it as I once shot a 10 round group from standing to sitting at 200 yards and got a possible (all 10 rounds in the V ring). I won a commendation from the post commander for that. However the military was the last time I actually used Iron sights till I went to Africa. I killed my second Elephant with a 470NE Merkel Double which only had iron sights,but it was at point blank range and they are rather large. My other 2 Elephants as was all my other African game killed with a rifle with a scope. However I consider any rifle to be incomplete esthetically when it has no iron sights. I see absolutely nothing to be gained by limiting oneself by using exclusively irons. I certainly don't think a person who does so is any more competent in any manner.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good post - thank you.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i can use either.....course i used to be practiced up enough with the old Glenfield single shot, iron sighted, manual cocking 22 that with a hand full of shells i could damn near get it sounding like a semi auto laugh had to keep up with my buddy that had a scoped 10-22....used that Glenfield up through part of high school....

love ghost ring sights on rifles, will use peep as a second choice....even growing up with the irons i am a faster shot with a scope so its what i generally use....planning on putting a red dot on my Marlin guide gun just cause i want to...

course then again the last 22 pistol i had i was picking of just over 6 out of 10 pop cans at 100 with the basic non adjustable sights on a Ruger MkII and was shooting my 1911 pretty good out to 50 on rocks and such last i had it.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooting whistle pigs yesterday with a Remington 121 and the sun was glaring off the back sight enough I went to a scoped rifle.

What works to stop glare and not be permanent?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clouds. grin

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 700LH
Shooting whistle pigs yesterday with a Remington 121 and the sun was glaring off the back sight enough I went to a scoped rifle.

A steel post front sight and a carbide lamp!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If ya can't see the sights the trick is to just make the barrel longer. And them newfangled ADJUSTABLE rear sights? Hey fixed notch and blade is how Kentucky got windage named after it wink

[Linked Image]

(and thanks again Rog cool)

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

at one of the 'fire gatherings Paladin had some lil gadget that he used to smoke(i think) and blacken the sights on his handguns.....not sure what it was exactly.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
For years the standard open sight is all I ever used, and I never really found them to be as useless as everyone says they are. I've made good shots up to and just over 200 yards with the standard Marbles rear with a bead up front, never felt they were all that inadequate. But these days I hear nothing but scorn. What's up with that? People just too afraid of learning how to use a basic sight?

1-RIfles don't come with sights

2-My eyes suck w/o corrective lenses (not so at 18, but at 52 . . . )

3-With a scope, I can adjust to corrective lenses or not in a second (fast focus eyepiece and a witness mark)

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

speaking of which, this here is my favorite pic from my Peace Corps years. These guys were a squad of poachers WAAAAAYYY back in the bush, and a buddy and I, travelling through on foot, were the first Whites in living memory to pass through that particular neck of the woods, hence them posing with the best they had.

The gun is an old 12 gauge Greener, on a Martini-Henry action. Besides running snares, they reloaded brass shells with black powder and cast lead ball, and wore miners' carbide lanterns to spotlight game at night.

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.