Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I have three types of rifles. The factory produced guns, a couple of Coopers, Kimber, a couple of Weatherby Ultra lights for real bad weather and a few other non descript guns. The custom built guns and the very best the Pre 64 M70. I'll buy one whenever I can find one at a fair price and I usually don't sell one. I did let two of them go recently for another but this one is a 300 Savage and one of the ones I sold was a duplicate so it wasn't so bad.

A 300 savage would be extremely cool. I'd hang onto that one too!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, your "amateur" float and bed "tray" work is second to none, IMO. Looks smooth as silk.
Wish I had the skill.. and stones to start carving out 60 yr old M70 wood to bed them. smile

Best Wishes,
LD

Last edited by local_dirt; 03/22/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by local_dirt
BSA, your "amateur" float and bed "tray" work is second to none, IMO. Looks smooth as silk.
Wish I had the skill.. and stones to start carving out 60 yr old M70 wood to bed them. smile

Best Wishes,
LD

I have no skills and I know that:) I know my limitations and have an agreement with tools. I don't touch them and they don't hurt me. Also I don't F anything up.

The Savage will be around for a very long time.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
GSP if you ever need some stock work done just let me know...

Here is the 1959 Alaskan in her new stock I just finished. I am in Dallas this week while she sits in New Mexico curing this week. When I get back I will sand her down to a matte finish and checker.

The stock is pillared and glass bedded completely, including the entire action and magazine area. Bottom metal is glassed in completely and heck even the super grade swivels are glassed in. There isn't any part of metal touching wood. I will post an entire start to finish soon.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That looks very nice hornet. Are you going to put some checkering on her?? I was just out in the shop working on putting my 375 H&H in the coyote bomber swirly that I had on my 30-06 fwt. It just didn't fit the fwt well. It was heavier than the original wood stock. 30-06 fwt went back into the original aluminum butt plate fwt stock... I always really liked that stock, just not so much shooting it off the bench cry sick

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet

Here is the 1959 Alaskan in her new stock I just finished. I am in Dallas this week while she sits in New Mexico curing this week. When I get back I will sand her down to a matte finish and checker.

The stock is pillared and glass bedded completely, including the entire action and magazine area. Bottom metal is glassed in completely and heck even the super grade swivels are glassed in. There isn't any part of metal touching wood. I will post an entire start to finish soon.

[Linked Image]

I look forward to seeing the start to finish thread. Make sure you throw in some target pictures too for those guys that love looking at those grin. After all, that shows us that it's bedded right... wink

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nicely done. I'll keep the offer in mind.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

I look forward to seeing the start to finish thread. Make sure you throw in some target pictures too for those guys that love looking at those grin. After all, that shows us that it's bedded right... wink

Will do. I have some group pics of how she shot with the original stock as well. I have a box of 250gr Partitions on the shelf, as well as some 210's and some 180AB's.

Yes I am checkering it as well. The finish needs to cure for about a week, and with my in laws coming in until April 3, it will be able to do that. Then a quick 1500 grit sanding, some steel wool and paste wax, and on to the checkering cradle.

You are going to get a chuckle out of how I inletted the super grade swivels.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fantastic job! very best WinPoor

IC B3

Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Very very nice! Cant wait to see the start to finish pictures.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What finish are you using? Are you using 1500 and then going over with paste wax using steel wool?

Looks nice, I am always trying to pick up on different ways to finish.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Thanks Guys. It has been long overdue, but with moving the family from Kansas City to ABQ it has been a very busy last 7 months.

Southwind I use a mixture of Armor All and Tru Oil. I spray the stock with AA and then rub Tru Oil in. It dries super fast ( within 5 minutes) and the AA and Tru Oil seem to create a chemical reaction that dries the tru oil really fast.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Will do. I have some group pics of how she shot with the original stock as well. I have a box of 250gr Partitions on the shelf, as well as some 210's and some 180AB's.

Yes I am checkering it as well. The finish needs to cure for about a week, and with my in laws coming in until April 3, it will be able to do that. Then a quick 1500 grit sanding, some steel wool and paste wax, and on to the checkering cradle.

You are going to get a chuckle out of how I inletted the super grade swivels.

I might laugh, but I know how you are. You are an artist with those hands my friend. You would laugh at how I inletted the swirly on my 375 tonight too laugh. Got her bedded though. She's sitting in Devcon 10110 right now (in these pictures):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Parradiddle asked the other day how hard it would be to put this stock on a std wt rifle. It was on my '56 30-06 fwt, but I didn't really care for it too much on that rifle. It weighed more than the original wood stock, so the wood stock went back on the fwt and the swirly went on the 375 wink ....To answer Parradiddle's question, about 3 hours worth of inletting work... However, it's on my 375 now and I think it's going to stay there!!! grin cool

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,131
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.