Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got the rifle, now no ammo.... does anyone on this forum have a source for the 8 x 60R ?? Or possibly have some cases for sale?? Thanks !!!

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It can be formed from 9,3X74R brass. The two have the same rim and base general sizes.

Do you have dies?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have no dies yet !! The rifle is still enroute :):):) I handload for all my guns and am just trying to get a jump on things. Have had several 8mm other than 8 x57, and none of them are the same. Think its some kind of sickness !!!!

Thanks so much for your answer.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the rifle?

It sounds like something unusual. cool Is it a combination gun, double rifle, or single shot? I'd love some photos once you receive it.

The round came about as a result of German laws following WWI, when it became illegal to own an 8X57, as military chamberings became illegal for civilian ownership. It came in the usual 8X57 variations...rimless/rimmed...J-bore/S-bore. Old 8X57s could simply be re-chambered to the 8X60.

I don't think it was exceedingly popular; most gun owners just ignored the new regulations, making ammunition scarce today.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The rifle is a Jaeger single shot in 8 x 60R ----- I have a Mauser Model M sporting rifle in 8 x 57 and have a book on Mausers. If it shows the 8 x 60R, I haven't seen it in there yet, but it does show the 8 x 60 rimless and the story behind it. I even had an 8.15 x 46R Schutzen rifle that I loaded for in the past. So, I know the bore diameters are all over the place. Was just hoping maybe by now, somebody made the brass. I have a sickness for German rifles. Have an old Drilling 38-55 over 12 and Lord knows how many shots I have fired through it. Its my go to for pigs and coyotes and my best for quail. Just fits right. I shouldn't have bought this Jaeger, but logic never entered into it, my wife was doing the bidding, and she doesn't know when to quit. At live auctions, she just keeps her hand in the air, they have caught her bidding against herself before !!!

Anyway, here are a couple of photos.... the bore is supposed to perfect. I'm hoping.... can't find any info on the maker yet. You don't have anything do you?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by oldgunsmith; 03/09/15.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No info on the maker other than they were Gebruder Rempt of Suhl, and your gun is a Kipplauf, and... I'd love to screw you out of that beauty!

Slug the bore when you get it. It's probably J-bore but might be .321", common to many J-bore guns. They did that in case S-bore ammo got used. Most of my J-bore guns have slugged to .320-.321. I've used 170gr 32 ( .321") Special bullets in most of my J-bore guns for 50 years now. No .318s were available years ago. A noted combination gunsmith I know well also uses them.

Here is all I can Find on the Maker.

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/Sections/Page.asp?SID=436&MID=5#Rempt

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/Sections/Page.asp?SSID=623&NRID=1&Tag=Rempt

Last edited by luv2safari; 03/09/15.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well... I don't really swing that way :):):):) LOL Truly thank you for all the help. I'm getting antsy about getting it home now !!! Sure I will be picking your brain again soon. I will shoot it, if I have to solder rims onto rimless cases. Now, I'm off to look up the info you gave me. Thanks again,

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see your REMO once had a scope. When you get it take some detailed photos of the bases and post them. We might be able to top it off with some glass. wink

Is your drilling a Sauer-made Charles Daly by any chance? Daly imported a lot of drillings in that combination. The shotgun chambers are 65 mm, no doubt.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The mounts on the rib have me puzzled. Definitely not like claw mounts, I'll be sure to post some close ups of the bases. The thought of some glass is intriguing, although the German mounts always seem to be very high !! Would like to get it as low as possible.

My Drilling is a Sauer imported by Daly, its a hammer gun, but it has fluid steel barrels (not Damascus). Years ago, I reamed it out to 2 3/4" or it came as that, just can't remember for sure. Used a Clymer reamer with long forcing cone on so many guns back then, its just too hard to keep up. I've had it for probably 40 years now, and its still one of the ones I'll never get rid of, although its not all that valuable, still attached to it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For rings, if the bases are wider than weaver mounts you could widen the slots on a set of rings like Warne that have double clamp screws and a removable recoil lug. If narrower use the same style Warns set for a 3/8 dovetail and file to fit. With the double clamp screws I doubt you would have any problem with them sliding even with the recoil lug removed.

Last edited by erich; 03/10/15.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just talked with a gunsmith friend about ammo/brass for your kipplauf 8X60. He has rimless ammo for it, depending on the bore. There's a little add-on he can do to the extractor so you can shoot rimless ammo. I've had 7X57 and 8X57 drillings set up that way to extract both rimmed and rimless ammo.

erich makes good sense regarding scoping the REMO.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sized down a case today from a 30.06, and am planning to put a rim on them, I'm thinking. Won't have the rifle in for about a week and am chomping at the bit. I am listening to all the info you are sharing with me, and appreciate the info on the scope mounts. I'm not familiar with the Warne mounts and will have to look into that. Had been thinking about Ruger #1 rings. This little rifle will be another adventure for me, and I surely don't want to ruin it in any way. Thanks again, I do appreciate it.

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the Warns rings you shouldn't have to modified the gun in any way. If you do have any problems with slippage you could tap a hole in the side of the ring and fit a screw with the point shaped to fit the notch in the rear base.

Measure across the tops of the bases and post them as there are a lot of different ways to modify existing rings to work without damage to the existing bases.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send me your address in a PM here. I'll send you a couple of 9,3X74R brass. Since the 9,3X74R brass is relatively thin for moderate pressures in a double rifle you might not need to neck ream after trimming them and running through an 8X60R sizer die.

That will be the easy way to make brass.

The bases look a lot like pre-war Kreighoffs. If so, I might know of some, but those varied a bit, also.

erich's advice on scoping is sound and probably the most practical. I've also found that Talley rings fit your type bases sometimes, or they get very close and fitting is easy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As an alternative to forming from 9.3x74R, you could also consider forming from 7x65R.

Also, Horneber lists 8x60R brass. You could do worse than to contact them and see if there's a local agent you could order it through.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dan_oz
As an alternative to forming from 9.3x74R, you could also consider forming from 7x65R.

Also, Horneber lists 8x60R brass. You could do worse than to contact them and see if there's a local agent you could order it through.

YES!! laugh laugh I snoozed on that one. I have a bunch of once-fired 7X65R brass and can send some of that to him. 7X65R is not as common as 9.3X74R and is hard to find as unloaded brass, but it is not a lot too long like the 9.3X74R.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You guys are way too nice !!! :):):) My wife called today to finalize all the details, and they told her my rifle would ship in 10-12 business days :(:(:(:( Dang it !!! Believe me, as soon as I get the rifle, I will be taking measurments and pictures aplenty. I love the idea of free, but don't want to take advantage of anyone's generosity. Let me check out these places you told me about, first. Sounds like erich has a plan on scope mounts. We are having company today and tomorrow, but I will be looking into his suggestion. Again, thanks for helping me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got my little rifle a few days ago, and am posting some photos as you guys told me to. Am hoping you can provide me some more info .... I still don't know what to call it :):):):)

Thanks to one of you, I now have some brass on the way !!! Greatly appreciated.

Now on with the show:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wow!

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.