Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain
Also, I can't get over the fact that it shoots 3 inch groups at distances where my Ruger Bull Barrel shoots into less than an inch.

Dan, what sights are you running on the Bull Barrel rig?

My Buckmark is incredibly accurate ( and reliable with the proper ammunition ) but it wears a reflex optic that allows for much more precise aim. It also has a much lighter trigger.

Off the bench with bags and good light, I can shoot pretty reasonable groups with the SR. Good enough that I'm going to leave well enough alone.

It's just a trail gun to me. It can be used as a defensive piece if I had to. Eleven rounds of LR Hollow Points will deter a lot of things..... Most times, like river or creek fishing, I carry a centerfire for that.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Blacktail, when I'm shooting for groups, I scope it with a 1.5 Leopold pistol scope. When I'm squirrel chasing in the fall, I compact red dot works best for me.

The SR is a light, handy little gun. I've been told most of the malfunctions occur with the loading of the magazine. I have a tendency to pull down on the finger tab so that I can slip a bunch of rounds in one at a time with no resistance. A feller told me to only pull down far enough to slip one round in, and repeat. He said that keeps the rims lined up so the top round's rim is always in front.

I haven't had a chance to try that. So I will next time out. I get at least one malfunction every 50 rounds or so. Still, I don't consider it squirrel head accurate with open sights beyond 10 yards for me. Other's may vary.

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll never understand scopes on handguns.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'll never understand scopes on handguns.

Only time I ever put a scope on a handgun was years ago, I had a Python .357 (wish I still had that gun) I wanted to call and kill a fox with it. After missing several times I put a scope on the gun. I called a fox into range and dropped him with a head on shot. With a solid rest the gun shot like a rifle. I'd use a red or green dot nowadays.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've found rifles shoot like rifles even better. The reason to carry a handgun because it's easily portable, I don't consider a 5 pound handgun easily portable. Might as well carry a rifle, which is always a better way to roll.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain
Blacktail,
The SR is a light, handy little gun. I've been told most of the malfunctions occur with the loading of the magazine. I have a tendency to pull down on the finger tab so that I can slip a bunch of rounds in one at a time with no resistance. A feller told me to only pull down far enough to slip one round in, and repeat. He said that keeps the rims lined up so the top round's rim is always in front.

I have to agree with that.

During my maiden voyage with the SR at the range, I found that if I didn't pay attention to how the top round lay in the magazine ( I had a tendency to allow it to be pushed down slightly and forward ) that it wouldn't feed.

I do as your friend suggested and don't get crazy with the magazine tab.

Scopes: and Steelie,

I don't care for a conventional scope on a handgun - but a red/green dot reflex sight that allows for quick target acquisition with both eyes open is a real good tool.

Holsters then become a problem as is conceal-ability.
Handguns are supposed to be ( in my mind ) easy to carry, lite and convenient to use. Optics take away from that for me, so the SR will see trail duty that the Buckmark won't....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

625 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,257
Posts18,448,126
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.