24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi, folks! I've been an active reader here for a long time, but this is my first post.

I know the X-Bolts aren't exactly a Campfire favorite, but I've owned a few over the years and they've all proven extremely accurate and without any issues whatsoever. That said, I have a question that I hope somebody here (gun writer or otherwise) can answer):

The Browning website lists the new Western Hunter with overall lengths that just don't make sense and before I order one, I'd like to know exactly what I am getting.

They are factory fitted with a muzzle brake (something I'm going to try due to recent shoulder surgery) and for the 300 WSM, it states a 23 inch barrel but the overall length of 43 inches. The plain old Composite Stalker has a listed overall length of 42 3/4 inches. So, this doesn't make any sense.

The 300 Winchester Mag version of the Western Hunter is listed as having a 26 inch barrel and the same overall length as the Composite Stalker, at 46 3/4 inches. I'm unsure as to whether they have cut back the barrel and are measuring the brake with barrel length, or if the overall lengths are just wrong.

I'm primarily interested in the 300 WSM because its shorter bolt throw, combined with a shorter barrel than other magnums (if really 23 inches of actual barrel) still make it a very usable overall length, even with a brake attached. Again I'm just currently assuming that it has a 23 inch barrel, plus an additional 2 inch (+/-) muzzle brake.

BUT... can somebody actually verify the barrel lengths/overall lengths?

Thanks in advance!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Typically, I believe, the barrel length measurement is taken to the end of the muzzle brake. I have a .338 Win. Mag with a brake and that is how the measurement is taken.

Jim

OP Offline
Thanks for the input, 1OntarioJim!

If so, that would mean the 300 WSM has only a 21 inch barrel, or so.

Not sure I want a WSM with that short of a barrel.

I was hoping for some real-world tape measure feedback, but I'm guessing that these models are too new for anyone (including writers) to have handled them yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't help with an answer to your question other than to suggest that you call Browning. Browning's (and Winchester's) QC when it comes to catalog and web site content leaves a lot to be desired. IIRC, last year they published info on the Win Model 70's showing the 300 H&H to be available in every model. Caused quite a stir in some circles - including the 'Fire. Turned out all of the copy should have read 300 Win Mag.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
camera_dude
Ifina it was me I would call Browning and get clarification directly from them. Good luck. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B2

OP Offline
Yes... Maybe will need to call them. The last time I called Browning, I was on hold what seemed like a decade. frown

This is one of the great things about Weatherby. Their customer service is absolutely stellar and you are connected to a qualified and friendly service rep almost immediately.

You know, one would think that big companies like Browning / Winchester could afford quality staff to proofread, vet and edit properly before websites are published.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think barrel lengths are the most misquoted figures on a website for gun companies. powdr

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
One of my neighbors was just mentioning to me that he was trying to find more information on the X-Bolt Western Hunter, too.

He had basically the same question, except he was considering the 26 Nosler, or maybe a .300 Win Mag for a high plains rifle to buck the gusty winds on long shots in eastern Montana and Wyoming.

His concern was that it would probably feel too long and unwieldy for certain hunting conditions if it had 26 inches of barrel and then a brake on top of that. And I'm thinking a cartridge like the 26 Nosler probably needs those 26 inches of actual barrel. Not so much the .300 Win.

Anyway, it does look like a nice rifle and with a MSRP of $998 or so, it isn't that expensive.... probably $800 and change from a good dealer...?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 51 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.