Hop To
DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Who does this work?

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pike Spraggins. Company is called Mod 1 in Lexington, KY. Has a Facebook page with examples. Excellent work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Takes about 1/2 hour with a souldering iron if the Tupperware is right. Tikkas are easy.

DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
16bore, if you're suggesting a DIY, this is beyond my abilities.

sgtsmmiii, Have you used Mod 1, and if so, were you happy with the work? Turn around time??

Anyone else with experience?

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've painted mine with Rustoleum multi colored textured paint.
[Linked Image]
Gives good grip but not so rough that it tears you up during recoil.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I could see it on a tupperware plastic stock. But on a fiberglass stock the outer layer of glass cloth could be damaged and weakened if you were to cut or burn too deep. A textured paint would be a better option. The checkering in McMillans is molded in.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a little late for textured paint, as I've already done that. I'm building my wrong-handed S-I-L a LW Dove "Demolisher", and I'd like to have the butt stock wrist panels checkered or stippled. The synthetic stock is black under the paint and should reappear with one of the two options, and provide a sure grip.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brownells sells a spray-on grit. It comes in clear too. I've never tried it but it looks pretty easy to use.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...t-filled-paints/spray-grit-prod1140.aspx

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Brownells sells a spray-on grit. It comes in clear too. I've never tried it but it looks pretty easy to use.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...t-filled-paints/spray-grit-prod1140.aspx

Does anyone know how to make a stencil?

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by sgtsmmiii
Pike Spraggins. Company is called Mod 1 in Lexington, KY. Has a Facebook page with examples. Excellent work.

Interesting thought there. I have observed the work on several Glocks and agree the craftsmanship is excellent. Never considered a rifle stock for the stippling treatment, now that would be grippy.

I currently have a Glock 19 in the shop for new sights and trigger package.

I think if someone wanted a best in class stippling job on a rifle stock this would be worth a call to see if he would be interested in the project.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used clear epoxy grit paint (not from Brownells though). It was from the hardware store, called "Traction Grit Spray."

I used it on a dog-training table top. It has held up out in the weather for a few years. Makes a fine textured surface.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Or you can use devcon 10110 to make a texture to your taste, easy enough to alter a little bit and then touch up your spider webbing.

Taped off and devcon applied
[Linked Image]
Lifting the devcon with sea sponge
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DMc
16bore, if you're suggesting a DIY, this is beyond my abilities.
sgtsmmiii, Have you used Mod 1, and if so, were you happy with the work? Turn around time??
Anyone else with experience?
DMc

Yep. He's done 3 Glocks for me. His stippling isn't like what you normally see done by amateurs. Really nice , even, consistent patterns. Undercuts the trigger guard so the gun sits lower in the hand for faster followup shots due to less muzzle rise. Did an Trijicon RMR cut on the slide for a Glock 35 for me. Does excellent Cerakote work for his re-finishes. A perfectionist and it shows. Highly recommended. Turn around time is usually 1 to 2 months.

DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
varmintsinc, thx for the tutorial. Looks fantastic and is an interesting avenue!

sgtsmmiii, looks like Mod 1 does laser stippling. I've been researching this and there's an obvious difference in hand vs machine work.

I spent over an hour a half trying to tape off an outline I thought would look acceptable, and became frustrated and quit. These guys are artist. Something I'm not.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
varmintsinc - nice job there. The material's texture looks as if it would do a number on your skin when piece is fired (depending on caliber). Homesteader

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Texture can be varied depending on how big the holes are in the sponge. A sea sponge can leave some huge peaks and they are all sanded before being painted. I also do glocks and use a smaller pattern sponge, I leave the front strap pretty rough and really knock down the sides.

Just make sure to use the right epoxy. The Devcon in a tube at the hardware store or JB weld will not work, they lay down and dont keep the spikes before it hardens up.

Glock in progress after sponging, easy to see how "spiky" it would be. This little spikes are very hard and will cut you before sanding.
[Linked Image]
Finished product knocked down.
[Linked Image]

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.