Print Thread
Hop To
S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I've read through the years that "yes", 98 Mausers should be Ht'd and others say "no", not needed.

Is there any real data ie. actual lab testing on milsurp Mauser 98 actions, that give a more concrete answer?
If so does the year and make determine this?
Only needed for high pressure cartridges?

Has this been settled already and I'm the only looney still lost in aether-world pablum, or is this an old swayback horse that needs a good thrashing?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They weren't heat treated. They were case hardened. I have several and the only ones that I had recase hardened were the ones that square bridges were welded to the receivers.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Really very hard to say, Commercial, IE Santa Barbara. Military, Spanish 98's converted to 7.62 Nato, Israeli rifle converted to 30-06 and 308? Turkish made, arsenal rebuilds? To me depends on the rifle and where and when it was made along with it's condition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Define "heat treating" smirk

If someone dropped this in my lap, the first question I'd ask is what kind of metal is it made from - that is what chemistry is it? The chemistry determines what is feasible.

If metal is low carbon & alloy content, then case hardening is practical, which adds carbon to the surface and allows that portion to harden. You could nitride it too, but the hard layer is extremely thin, only .001" or so thick.

More modern action use low allow steels, which can be heat treated to though harden the metal sections.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Go over to AR and search for thread by Tom Burgess. It is at least 10 years old.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Define "heat treating" smirk

If someone dropped this in my lap, the first question I'd ask is what kind of metal is it made from - that is what chemistry is it? The chemistry determines what is feasible.

If metal is low carbon & alloy content, then case hardening is practical, which adds carbon to the surface and allows that portion to harden. You could nitride it too, but the hard layer is extremely thin, only .001" or so thick.

More modern action use low allow steels, which can be heat treated to though harden the metal sections.

Yep, that's why I'm wondering about the claims made on the "net". What exactly IS the method and why, which actions etc. etc.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen some apparently knowledgeable discussion of this at Mauser Central: http://mausercentral.com/forum/index.php

There are a handful of pretty competent Mauser gunsmiths there.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pacmet does a lot of Mausers. Do a search and you can contact them They are aware of the makeup of the Mauser receivers and can recommend the proper course of action.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another good firm is Blanchard Metal Processing in Salt Lake City. The late Dave Gentry knew a lot about Mausers (he made many 98 actions of all sizes, including a number that became part of rifles made by big-name British firms) and used Blanchard for heat-treating actions that needed it. He sent them a couple of my actions, one of which he used on a "using" rifle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I know: VZ-24/1922 actions were well heat treated do not require HT. Swedes the same. Yugos 24/48s no problems
Argentine 1909's need to be treated they are soft as are some 98's it's a crap shoot.

Just my limited experience

IC B3

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I'll check out Mauser Central.

Butch, turns out I found your link for pacmet.com on the other thread in Gunsmithing and called them this afternoon. Had a talk with Jim and got a quote for one to four actions of $150. Send in three actions and the cost drops to $50 each, etc. Pretty good deal.

I'll check with Blanchard on Monday. I have a heat treat oven in my shop and thought I might be able to accomplish the task on my own but finding an accurate formula and process hasn't paid off yet. My skills and equipment may be limited so may just go for the pro job considering the cost is reasonable and I have three M98 actions tagged for projects.

I'd still like to find the formula though, if nothing more than just out of curiosity, I've considered the art and science of heat treating as one the fundamental human skills that drug man out of the stone age. Get a kick out of pulling red hot steel out of the oven and makin' it hard.

SBTCO

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I believe you might find what you are looking for on the Accuratereloading.com forum. It was posted at one time. Blanchards is a good place also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had actions done by Blanchard & they've done a good job.

One that they did was a Spandau action that is built into a 25-06; I've checked its headspace regularly & it has not moved a hair that I can tell.

I also have a 280 Rem built on a non-heat treated 1909 & I also check it regularly for headspace & it hasn't moved at all either.

David Miller has used a lot of 1909's & I don't believe that he has them re-heat treated, but it's been a while since I was told that by his partner, so my memory might be outdated on that. wink

PO Ackley did an interesting test that is described in one of his volumes where he overloaded a Mauser action to failure with Unique..........it took a lot.

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had a few Mauser's, A 1909 did have a bit of headspace, and it did seem to be moving. A Spanish Santa Barbara had no issues at all. They were reported as "Too Hard". A Mark X in 06 had headspace issues from the get-go. A BCD '44 original has no issues either. A Swede 96/38 was good to go as well. To me it depends on the rifle.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My two cents worth is that military actions were not designed and manufactured for magnum cartridge pressures. So don't use them for magnum cartridges.

There are tens of thousands of commercial 98 Mauser action sporting rifles made for magnum cartridges since the 1950's. I'd buy one of those if I want a magnum.

Of course YMMV....

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
My two cents worth is that military actions were not designed and manufactured for magnum cartridge pressures. So don't use them for magnum cartridges.

There are tens of thousands of commercial 98 Mauser action sporting rifles made for magnum cartridges since the 1950's. I'd buy one of those if I want a magnum.

Of course YMMV....

At this point in my life I have little interest in magnum cartridges, nothing against em', just don't feel the need. I'll be sticking to .473 head size cases on these projects.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.