Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'd go with the 6.5 Creedmore.

The reason I'd go with it is that it'll have more "parallel" of the bullet bearing surface outside of the case mouth than the .260 Rem will when both are shot from a typical ".308 Win Dimension" short action rifle.

I think that in concert with the way the things are throated is one of the contributors to the precision the round is capable of. The basic idea is preventing yaw of the bullet before rifling engagement.

I'd rather have a short action than a long one, but if I had some only long action Model 700 laying around and in need of a barrel swap, I'd probably go .260 Remington in it, but set it up to accommodate a longer than S.A.M.M.I spec O.A.L.

The next step up from there would be .256 Newton / 6.5mm-06 but that would be an unlikely one.

The .264 Win Mag doesn't trip my personal trigger. The belted case is an anachronism, I would expect longer useful barrel life from the milder and more efficient offerings, and penultimate flatness of trajectory doesn't matter much to me personally in the grand scheme of things because in target shooting, the distance to my target is known and in the field, I'm not comfortable shooting game at distances beyond 300 yards regardless of what I'm armed with.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
264WM is the one. 160gr PPSN at 3261fps can't be all that bad. If you are wanting a AR10 style rifle then either of the others would work. If you want something special here is a alternative.
http://onlylongrange.com/bn36-carbine-assassin/
http://onlylongrange.com/bn36-long-range-assassin/

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TeleCaster
I'd rather have a short action than a long one, but if I had some only long action Model 700 laying around and in need of a barrel swap, I'd probably go .260 Remington in it, but set it up to accommodate a longer than S.A.M.M.I spec O.A.L.

The next step up from there would be .256 Newton / 6.5mm-06 but that would be an unlikely one.

On the .260 Rem vs Creedmore question, one way to solve the conundrum is to just get a .260 with a 3" mag box.

Just curious as to your comment on the 6.5-06, why is that unlikely? Seems to me to be the best of both worlds, easy to load for, and cheap brass too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You can hardly walk into a good sized gun store back here without tripping over lots of 6.5 Creed brass and factory ammo. I see dies for it everywhere.

The other two not so much,although i am sure it's out there but not too much around here. These stores sure don't stock what's not moving. The cartridge seems to be getting a lot of traction.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any 270 supplies? smile

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
Any 270 supplies? smile

Yup. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Disappointed in the answers so far.....the real answer is ALL 3!

Good grief,the rifle loony-ism here is sadly on the decline.

We all know that once he makes his choice between these 3, and gets the rifle like he wants it, he will be making another choice for the next... wink

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 65BR
Any 270 supplies? smile

Yup. smile

How simple, convenient, and economical.

But what FUN is that?!? Lol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
260 is probably the easiest to care for. Does everything well.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by TeleCaster

On the .260 Rem vs Creedmore question, one way to solve the conundrum is to just get a .260 with a 3" mag box.

Just curious as to your comment on the 6.5-06, why is that unlikely? Seems to me to be the best of both worlds, easy to load for, and cheap brass too.

I failed to articulate clearly. What I intended to write was that thhe 6.5 mm -'06 would be an unlikely choice for me -one that I wouldn't be inclined to make. The closest I'd get is if I stumbled on to a well sorted, high condition "first model" Newton rifle in .256 Newton at a dirt-cheap price, or one of the No.1's chambered to it that are rumored to be out there. Otherwise, a 6.5mm-'06, like all the other necked-down '06 rounds out there, isn't going to do anything for me that my boring old .30-'06 No.1B isn't already doing with complete satisfaction.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Royce
RickyBobby
If you want to go on a western hunting trip, the money you'll spend on a decent long range rig would go a long way towards financing the hunting trip- Where your 30/06 would work fine for everything up to the smaller varieties of whales.

I really like the way you think!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ricky
With a little research, and pairing up with a buddy or three to share driving/lodging expenses, you could have an excellent do-it-yourself hunt for deer and elk. There are left over big game licenses every year so drawing isn't a problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruger made some Number 1s and 77s in 256 Newton for one of WBR's friend, maybe Robert Chatfield-Taylor.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Ruger made some Number 1s and 77s in 256 Newton for one of WBR's friend, maybe Robert Chatfield-Taylor.

They did indeed....I saw the M77's. Or some of them anyway. Don't recall seeing any #1's.

When did belted cases become anachronisms? Somebody better tell Weatherby and the major manufacturers about this.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

They did indeed....I saw the M77's. Or some of them anyway. Don't recall seeing any #1's.

When did belted cases become anachronisms? Somebody better tell Weatherby and the major manufacturers about this.

No need to tell the "majors" as they already got the message -hence things like the .300 Remington Ultra Mag and other modern magnums that don't use a belted case.....

That belted case isn't the best idea for maximum case life. That would be my primary objection to it on a 6.5 mm rifle that I would buy with intention of running a high round count through.

It doesn't bother me at all on my .375 Holland and Holland, though wink.

Rimmed cases don't bother me, either, as my ongoing enjoyment of the lowly, old-school .30-30 testifies to.

If anachronism really bothered me, the centerifre rifles in my gun room now would be chambered to something other than the .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .30-30, .30'06, .303 British, and .375 Holland and Holland that they're chambered to, I wouldn't still harbor the lifelong affection for the Marlin 336 and Ruger No.1 that I do, and I'd get with the program and ditch my old Lyman Great Plains Rifle and the patched .495" round balls it shoots for a 209 primed inline muzzle loader firing sabot bullets.

I reckon I actually like anachronism.

That being the case, maybe the 6.5mm rifle that I'll probably never buy should be a 6.5 x 55 Swede Mauser or 6.5mm Mannlicher-Schonauer.. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
TeleCaster I get it. I don't look at the 264WM as a cartridge for high round count. Better things for target shooting like a 6.5Creedmoor,260, or 6.5x55.But the 264 is a wonderful hunting cartridge.

So no I don't view all cartridges through the lens of a target shooter or hand loader.

But I do like to poke a little fun(all good natured) at folks who think some new invention from the factories is truly "new" and "cutting edge",when in fact most of them have lineage that can be traced back to the first half of the last century,but are hawked as the latest and greatest with a few minor tweaks,better powders,and modern bullets.

Even the cutting edge 6.5 Creed evolved based on reshaping the 250 Savage case;and people were necking down and blowing out 404 Jeffrey cases to 30 caliber a long time before the 300 RUM saw the light of day. Short magnums go back to the 1950's, when some smith blew out 348 Winchester cases,cut an extractor groove in them,and necked them to various calibers.At least a couple of boutique 7mm Magnums today are nothing more than derivatives of a case design dating back to 1912 or thereabouts.....talk about anachronisms! LOL!

Belts served a useful purpose for some of our most useful and effective BG cartridges, likely invented without giving a thought to target shooters and hand loaders.Who cares about them? If the companies depended on the hand loaders to stay afloat, they couldn't remain viable.

So I chuckle when savants comment on the latest stuff,declaring it so good that other stuff be relegated to the scrap heap. In a sense most everything you can fit in the magazine of a bolt action rifle out there today is an "anachronism", in a sense. wink smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I'm really getting the itch for adding one of these chamberings to the stable. Mainly just for shooting steel or paper at longer distances but would like for it to do double duty if I'd get the chance to hunt it out west someday too. I need to fill the gap between the 22-250 and 30-06. Any suggestions?
Well, since you said "between........." I'd say the .260..

If you want to exceed the 30-06 then the .264 Mag is your daisy..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Still remember the old winchester ads for the 264..wouldn't even think of anything else .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by herschel34
6.5 Creedmoor all day long

I love it, I have 3 260 Remington's and only one 6.5 creedmoor.

Id go 260 all day long and have. It's not like the 308 case is ineffecient. You can drive a 260 faster than the creedmoor. The only real argument for the creedmoor doesnt apply to me because I wont be loading mile long overweight bullets in the 260.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,214
Posts18,466,287
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.