Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Recently I've been shooting a lot of trap and skeet. It costs me about $5.50 per box to reload shells. I just (yesterday) bought several flats of Estate shells at the LGS for $49.95 per flat ($5.00 per box). These had 1-1/8 oz. of shot in 12 gauge and 7/8 oz. in 20 gauge. The only sizes were 7-1/2 and 8 in 12 gauge and 8 and 9 in 20 gauge.

This is not a unique experience. In December, Cabela's had a sale for $5.40 per box, shipping included, on Herter's shells.

With these prices, why hand load? 28 gauge is different, though. the same place selling 12 and 20 for $49.95 was selling the same brand of 28 gauge for 89.95 per flat.

Someone told me that the "cheap"brands had softer shot than Remington, Winchester, etc. but I tend to doubt that.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They don't sell 2.5" 12ga, nickel plated BB, F or ITX for those prices. I can load them for about half the going prices for specialty shells.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just goes to show how bad the compnent suppliers are screwing everyone.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I load because I get a better product, tailored to my needs. I like light loads - 7/8 oz in 12, 3/4 oz in 20 - and can't find any quality loads in these specs that are reasonably priced.

There are some 7/8 oz loads for 12 gauge, notably those by Federal, but they are limited to #8s and the shot is softer than I want. Mine are loaded with #7.5 w/ hard "magnum" high antimony shot, producing great patterns. I've not come across any 3/4 ox factory loads for the 20, though I'm sure they are out there.

Find me an STS, AA or Gold Medal load w/ 7/8 oz of magnum shot at 1200 fps (not the "sporting clay" loads at 1300+) priced at under $8/box and I'll consider stopping my reloading operation. And BTW, the premium loads are better, mostly because of shot hardness and quality control. Do some patterning and you will see that.

I load a box of 12 gauge ammo as I've described for about $4.70, buying in bulk and at good component prices.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would reload 12 and 20 gauge regardless of the cost, save's me a trip to Walmart or Dick's. I only load hard ( magnum shot) so I am still saving money versus the premium AA, STS loads.

Now the 28 gauge is a necessity to load for.

Doc

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
It is cheaper to buy target loads now.. But I have about 20 bags of 7.5 shot I bought for about $13/bag, so that makes it a bit cheaper.. If I had to buy at today' s prices, it would be a different story.. I probably would just buy flats of new stuff and forget it???

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
It is cheaper to buy target loads now.. But I have about 20 bags of 7.5 shot I bought for about $13/bag, so that makes it a bit cheaper.. If I had to buy at today' s prices, it would be a different story.. I probably would just buy flats of new stuff and forget it???

I'm in the same boat and agree. I have so much left of powder, hulls, shot and primers that I'll probably reload regardless to burn it up. But with the current price of shot, it's a tough argument to say reloading is any cheaper that's for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For dove loads I would agree that it is not any cheaper to reload, but for heavy duty pheasant/sage grouse and even late season chucker loads, it is still absolutely worth it to reload. 20 gauge Prairie Storm #5s or Remington Extended Range #6 loads will run about $1 per shot these days.

That's how I see it at least.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
For dove loads I would agree that it is not any cheaper to reload, but for heavy duty pheasant/sage grouse and even late season chucker loads, it is still absolutely worth it to reload. 20 gauge Prairie Storm #5s or Remington Extended Range #6 loads will run about $1 per shot these days.

That may be true if a person shoots A LOT of pheasants and sage grouse with them. It will take a long time to amortize the cost of a bag of #5 or #6, as well as the wads and powder that are pretty unique to these loads.

The money savings are through high production of target loads, and loading for the 16, 28 and .410, IME.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
About ten years ago I published an article advocated stocking up on 22 long rifle cartridges over the next year or two. I just couldn't see it staying at 2 cents per cartridge or long.

I am now advising anyone who will listen to stock up on shotgun shells if you can find them at under 20 cents per shell. They just wont stay that cheap for long.

Last edited by Mssgn; 04/20/15.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
First, I enjoy loading. I spend nasty winter evenings at the bench while the wife watches American Idol or some other noxious show. Second, I can load premium loads at the price of promo loads that use soft shot. Third, I already have the equipment, so I may as well put it to use.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

That may be true if a person shoots A LOT of pheasants and sage grouse with them. It will take a long time to amortize the cost of a bag of #5 or #6, as well as the wads and powder that are pretty unique to these loads.

The money savings are through high production of target loads, and loading for the 16, 28 and .410, IME.

Absolutely agree on the 16, 28 and .410 thing. I have all three of those but not the loading gear. I should change that.

I also can buy a #25 bag of lead or copper plated shot for $50 or less, and 250 wads for about $10 and primers for $.05 at the most. I can load a few hundred heavy game loads with all that shot, wads and primers.

Adding that moola up would only equate to about 65-70 factory heavy pheasant loads, at $1 a piece, which is the going rate around here.

I probably shoot between 150-200 of those heavy 20 gauge shells a season, mostly at chucker...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
+1 GF1

I load to muzzle speeds that suit my need, 1125 fps 1oz 12 gauge and 1150 fps 7/8oz 20 gauge shells with hard shot.

Michael

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will load up the wads/hulls I have now for the 12 gauge, and when they are gone.......I'm done. I will buy my target loads for both 12 and 20 (quit reloading for the 20 years ago).
I will continue to reload for the 16 gauge; shells are now impossible to find except at large gun stores. I used to be able to find a box or two when I needed them, and got some deals at the end of season, but no longer. frown
I will continue to reload for slugs, buckshot, nontoxic waterfowl loads, blanks, etc. I will also buy shot, as I shoot muzzleloaders in 20 bore (flintlock) and a 10 gauge SxS. However, with the price of shot reaching $2/lb, and powder for reloading shotshells/pistol loads being almost nonexistant, I will take my savings anywhere I can get them.

I will, however, keep my presses and data.........just in case.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Someone told me that the "cheap"brands had softer shot than Remington, Winchester, etc. but I tend to doubt that.

Believe it. The high end Remington, Winchester and Federal shotshells hit harder and most often pattern better due to better shot.

Have some friends who have cut shells open and compared shot roundness between the good and lower end. They say the difference is obvious. Also most of the lower end brand velocity readings are at at muzzle. The USA good stuff at 3 feet. Small difference, but the good stuff is moving along faster.

Have also shot more than a little RIO shotshells to know there is often a noticeable variation is recoil from shell to shell. Most often seen in the winter. Powder, wads or how they are put together? Don't know the why, just know they are not as consistent.

Will you score better with the high end brands? Some days yes, some no. But a consistent shell is part of a consistent game.

Last edited by battue; 04/27/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
T
Is it cheaper to reload shotgun shells than it is to buy factory shells? It all depends on what the question is. If you are looking at "normal" 12ga and 20ga shells, then the answer is maybe. If you are looking at "unusual" shells like 1/2ounce 12 gauge shells, then the answer is yes. If you are looking at 410bore, 28ga, and 16ga shells, then the answer is hell yes.

The best is yet to come.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
FAR cheaper to load slugs and buckshot if you cast your own too!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
its an art that needs to be continued. its part of being an individual and not totally reliant on monopolies or supply chains. thoughts of the ww2 warsaw ghetto come to mind.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mssgn
FAR cheaper to load slugs and buckshot if you cast your own too!

Yep....I load my 20 gauge slug loads with the Hornady .452 250 gr SST bullets for $1.35 each. Many deer have fallen to this bullet.

Doc

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You can try cheap shells at the 25 yard line, and you will get beaten.

I duplicate the Remington Nitro Handicap load for about 60 per cent of the retail price. Plus I can tailor the velocity and shot charge to my desires if need be.

I use reclaimed shot for 16 yard and practice, costs about 4 bucks a box. If you count the sales tax, new crap shells are 6 bucks.

So I load my own crap shells, and my own good shells. It also makes for good arguments at the gun club.

HM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.