Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Have you ever had an experience that will likely be once in a lifetime?

I really never want to experience this again. It took me a long time to get back on a train after THIS

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got my motel and car blown up by a terrorist ( ANC- Mandela's gang...)car bomb in Windhoek, Namibia in 1987
I was in the motel, but thankfully not the car when it went bang(explosive car was two spaces away)
Motel on fire, a little shooting on the street, had to bail out into an exciting night.

Does that count? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Got my motel and car blown up by a terrorist ( ANC- Mandela's gang...)car bomb in Windhoek, Namibia in 1987
I was in the motel, but thankfully not the car when it went bang(explosive car was two spaces away)
Motel on fire, a little shooting on the street, had to bail out into an exciting night.

Does that count? grin

Gets my vote!! laugh

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Linda,...from The Camelot Lounge,...1975.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same here!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I watched my Dad die. frown

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a bucketful of damn near LAST in a lifetime aircraft events, but won't detail them here.

Had one in a car just this morning. Had y wife, daughter and granddaughter in the car and was approaching a red light just a few blocks from our house, on the way to our other daughter's house.

The light turned green for me when I was about 100 feet from it. I was already on the brakes, of course, and when I looked left, there was a car coming towards his now-very-red light - accelerating hard. He blew through that light at least three seconds late. Had I gone from brake to gas for the green... well, I probably wouldn't be typing this now.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Linda,...from The Camelot Lounge,...1975.

East or West?? grin

Last edited by sgtsmmiii; 04/05/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jnyork
In our squadron in Vietnam, you never knew when your last mission of the tour might be, schedulers kept it secret , you found out when you stepped off the aircraft to be greeted with fire hoses. Here's mine, April of 1969, truly a surprise and a once in a lifetime experience. Guess you can tell I was a little happy.

[Linked Image]

Great pic Jerry, know exactly how you felt which was "guess I'm going home now"..I didn't get hosed just walked into Ops didn't see my name on a crew roster but knew it was over..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
walked into the middle of a pack of 17 wolves with only 6 rounds of ammo. that will never happen again!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
been a couple of handfuls of them and the majority I pray they're a once in a lifetime experience

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I stood on the bottom step of a Mercedes passenger bus filled to the gills with a mix of green and desert tan US Marines.

The bus stopped at a bench along the street in a middle eastern city, I forget exactly where we were.

The door flopped open, I almost fell out. There was a guy on the bus stop bench, he was dead, real dead. Of course, almost everything was dead, dead and or burning.

Dead guy had been there a while, iraqi solder. He had a pair of crappy sun glasses placed crooked on his bashed in dead face, his arms were down by his sides, right arm slightly out with a small american flag rigged in his F'd up hand, the type that are on a 1/4" wooden stick. The other hand had a coca cola can rigged into it.

He was all American'd up.

I guess it's the little things, that leave an impression.

He obviously pissed one of us off pretty bad. Or maybe somebody was just plain pissed off... Yeah I dunno.

The thing is, it made perfect sense at the time. It seemed "normal".

I've never seen anything like that on a bus stop bench since, just that one time.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
WyColoCowboy,

It sounds like your Southwest crew was a good one, and they handled the situation well.

In events like this, there is always one passenger who will make a big fuss because they are now going to miss a meeting or are delayed getting home to watch a football game.

Instead they should seriously thank the Lord and the crew that they are on the ground and safe in one piece.

Making a 150,000 lb. tube full of people fly thousands of feet into the air and go 500 miles per hour is extremely complicated and inherently very dangerous if anything goes wrong.

Mechanical, electrical, and electronic things can and do fail frequently. It is amazing that so many people take flying as a passenger so for granted. That they do is actually a huge credit to well trained crew-members and mechanics that deal with these sorts of situations everyday, somewhere in the country.

Happy Easter, and count your blessings, everyone.

When we were back at the terminal, they brought in a EMS crew to check anyone out that got bumps or bruises (one big fat dude didn't do well on the slide and got a nice rash when he hit the pavement). As they started to work through the crowd and an announcement was made that there were medical personnel there to provide aid for anyone needing it. I happened to be watching this black woman who was sitting on a chair and when she heard the announcement, she dropped to the floor and started wailing like MLK was dead all over again and kept screaming about her heart. Mind you this was an hour after we landed. I rolled my eyes, and walked over the Southwest manager addressing us, told her what I witnessed and gave her my name in case they got sued by this black b!tch.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
gave her my name in case they got sued by this black b!tch.

wink

NICE!

Something clever here.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Landed at Stapleton after nearly crashing into the grass after clearing the low clouds on a flight from Montana after a hunt during a blue norther. My brother and i had been consoling a woman hysterical during the turbulence on descent. I had told her not to worry as they would have diverted the flight if it werent ok. Then looked out the port window as we broke through clouds to see grass and no runway 30 yards below. Plane jerked and tilted hard right and then leveled just before hitting the runway.

Got off the plane and noticed the quite of terminal personnel. Only passengers were acting normally. Told my brother chit happend. No airport personnel were talking. Spooky. Asked a girl at a terminal what happend. She started crying. Our sister flight had just crashed.

I still think our jets turbulence drifted over into the takeoff path of flight 1713 due to the norther. We were flight 1714.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/05/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by deerstalker
walked into the middle of a pack of 17 wolves with only 6 rounds of ammo. that will never happen again!

So..how many did ya get?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rockies vs Padres play-in game in 2007 at Coors field. Rockies won 9-8 in the bottom of the 13th, coming back against the then untouchable Trevor Hoffman. I was in the rightfield mezzanine. I will never in my lifetime experience another sporting event so emotional and intense, unless perhaps the Rockies or SJ Sharks win a game 7 in extra innings or overtime....

I hugged Ronald Reagan when I was 5 years old, in 1980.

I watched a plane crash right in front of me at an airshow in Chico, CA literally 10 seconds after my sister asked if planes ever crashed at those events and I told her "only on TV". The pilot of a little Coors Silver Bullet jet didnt even come CLOSE to pulling out of a loop and lawn-darted into the field right in front of us.

My first duck (drake mallard in Butte County, Ca)

My first Deer (little cow-horned runt, South Carolina)

My first Pronghorn (respectable buck in unit 87, Colorado)

My first turkey (Butte Co, Ca)

My wedding and how my wife looked that morning before we parted ways to get ready.

Beating the ever-loving CHIT out of a hardened body-by-prison scumbag 3x my size who was assaulting (attempting to rape) a woman in an alleyway in San Francisco, CA. After bending his elbow 180 the wrong direction (cool noise!), breaking a few ribs, and leaving him in a heap, the gal tells me, "I didn't ask for your help!" Go figure.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by deerstalker

So..how many did ya get?

unfortunately it was two years before they were delisted.
we chased them off the range for 2 years until they opened the season on them then we got 2 before they left town.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

My father died in my arms and I closed his eyes. And cried.

Rest Well With God, I will see you soon, very soon.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the down-wind leg, I was cleared to land behind a
passenger jet. Had to extend the down-wind leg.
Jet was already parked at the terminal when I finally
came over the fence. The day was clear and hot but dead
calm, so as usual, severe wake turbulence still swirled
invisibly on the runway. The moron on the tower mike
said nothing about it
. (And I wasn't thinking about
such a thing at the time.)

Flaring to touch the rubber to the concrete, I suddenly
found myself starboard-wing-down and port-wing-up, dead
vertical, with the starboard wing so close to the
concrete that I was amazed that I wasn't cart-wheeling
down the runway.

I cranked the little ship back into regular horizontal
landing attitude and continued the landing. Then the
swirl tipped me back into the same vertical
attitude. "This is entirely too much variety for this ol'
country boy!"
I cranked her back to "normal,"
rammed the throttle as far forward as it'd go,
and went around for another approach.

And got summoned to the tower to be reprimanded!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 32 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,716
Posts18,457,094
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.