Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Last year I said I wasn't going to build any more damn rifles. Now I've got 3 projects going and am already turning another one over in my head. I'm trying to get a Savage 99F back up and running, trying to finish a small ring '95 250-3000, and at the same time trying to trick out my Tikka 338 Federal. You guys are wearing me out. It's just useless I tell you to be a member here...just useless. powdr

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't see the problem. At least we give you tips and advice on how to accomplish the work you wouldn't have to do without our encouragement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one in the works. It should be done any day now.
Rem 700 Brown stock, Lilja barrel 7-MM Rem. Mag.

I'm also thinking about another in my head, okay make that two.

Don't tell.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My project has swung under the quise of a '73 Mach 1. I will be tweaking a recently purchased 375 H&H M70 but that is about it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
powdr,

Face it. The Campfire is either the best or the worst "support group" for rifle loonies, depending on which way you look at it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just finished one a month ago...diont have any in the works....

But I do have an idea...... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I thought that I quit, but my 40X rimfire is out for a stock. I'm doing a 45-70 Rolling Block and it is getting the octagon cut on the barrel, I'm doing a 280AI on a Pierce Titanium receiver, and last but the most challenging is a 700 in 25-06 that has a real accuracy problem.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Multi-barrel Savage M1899 takedown project 99% done, pics in a week or two. Griffin&Howe-style Krag sporter about halfway done. Next up is a small .22 centerfire on a Martini Cadet action, or the '03 sporter, or the Remington M12 fancification, or the conversion of a L.C.Smith field grade to straight wrist stock, or...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Every year I say "time to be done building & focus my energies on hunting the rifles I have" and every year I find inspiration here to build anyway.

I just picked up a Remington-built 03-A3 action & Herters stock for a fantastic price on the Nosler site. Got a brand new #2 contour barrel from GB chambered for .338 Win Mag and threaded for my action CHEAP, a line on a milled BM, and will get a chapman safety from Brownells soon. I love it when a plan comes together!!

I'm putting finishing touches on the metal on two; my Steyr LR Swede & my son's Turk Bob, and really hoping that an SR Mexican 98 in 7x57 started in 09 that needs a little stock work can be completed.

I am also planning to refinish one stock whose factory finish is thinning on the cheek piece, but that won't require any assistance from a gunsmith.

I empathize; its a great year for no builds! Of course I'm heading out west for a few days to hunt and couldn't do any more if I wasn't building, so I can rationalize it that way smile !!

Seems that you're in good company crazy !!

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes John, but at my age I can't just throw them together as quickly as I could when I was younger. I have really meant "no mas" the last couple of times I said it. It really must be some deeply ingrained guidance system that leads us back to empty pockets and wishful thinking. powdr

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Restocking a Voere Cougar in 308 Norma Mag. And a VZ 24 in 7mm RM. Been trying to get to these bad boys for 2 years. Other projects keep floating to the top.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have 2 going now, 243 and 280AI. I'm sure I'll come up with another project or 3 in the near future

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, and while I'm trying to swear off of builds I keep thinking of the nice Mauser stock I have in the bedroom w/a nice set of bottom metal. Thinking about a barreled action in 8x57 reamed out to 8mm-06. You're right John...it never stops. powdr

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I guess it's kind of like stopping smoking, without the choking and gagging to encourage you.

Half the guns I own are "projects" even if they work OK now. If I got off the computer or retired, I could do some of them. If I had any sense I'd sell a couple of them to you but, as my father liked to say, "if" is the biggest word in the English language.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Cowboytim here sent me info on a place offering brand new old stock Yugo tubes for like $50.

I saw an Israeli one on GB in 308 Win already turned to eliminate steps for <$100... I think it helps to sell off those parts... Of course dies or even 20 range pick ups can inspire a bout of insanity...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by powdr
Yes John, but at my age I can't just throw them together as quickly as I could when I was younger. I have really meant "no mas" the last couple of times I said it. It really must be some deeply ingrained guidance system that leads us back to empty pockets and wishful thinking. powdr

There is a simple solution to that problem: emptier pockets. I suggest marriage and child rearing as a means to that end...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogeye
I guess it's kind of like stopping smoking, without the choking and gagging to encourage you.

Half the guns I own are "projects" even if they work OK now. If I got off the computer or retired, I could do some of them. If I had any sense I'd sell a couple of them to you but, as my father liked to say, "if" is the biggest word in the English language.

Trust me on this; retiring won't help. You gain less time than you'd think, and of course for most of us there's less money.

Getting off the computer is a great idea; yet here I am.

What fresh Hell is this?
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three at the Smith right now.

Plus a 375 to tweak, a 7mm 1:9.5 twist barrel with nowhere to go. A model 70 FN short action with old style trigger in the safe. A Rem LVSF in 22-250 with a shot out barrel.

What to do?

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current project is, hang on, a lightweight 340 Wby Mag in a McMillan stock. It will be a long range Woods Bison rifle for carrying while hunting on snowshoes.

Ted

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Now there's a project with a REAL purpose!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I figure the point of all my projects is to learn something... in that, I have not been disappointed by any of them!

I have kept a few, and sent a few down the road, with each try I get a better idea of exactly what the NEXT one should be!

..and there is ALWAYS a next one!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got lots of gun projects...

The REAL upside to 'em is, they take up a lot less room than vehicle projects!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My project over the next couple of months is to get rid of some of my projects so I can start another project.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been playing with lee Speed styled sporting rifle lately and am in the latter stages of a 400 LS (405 Win case shortened to 2.410 and loaded with 320gn cast bullet)
I used a take-off Marlin barrel and the only work I have had done by someone else was to get it sleeved for and threaded tyo suit the Mk l Lee Enfield action (for the 1900 action I had)
I timed it to my action and finished the chambering. Have nearly got the stock done and have started to make grip caps from ebony and some buff horn I was given. The 400 has ebony grip cap and forend tip ( but I did use the buff horn for both bits on a 303 Lee Speed I just finished)
Have made a single stack infill for the magazine and it holds 5 down so I am just a bit pleased with how it is all going.
I suppose I should add that I don't have a lathe or mill so it is all done with hand tools and the stocks start from the blank

Last edited by VonGruff; 04/10/15.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Yukoner
My current project is, hang on, a lightweight 340 Wby Mag in a McMillan stock. It will be a long range Woods Bison rifle for carrying while hunting on snowshoes.

Ted

that is a great project ....

look forward to hear about it.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a well used Brown Precision for a 700 long action. Not sure what to do with it but a recent posting of a 300H&H got me thinking. A 30/06 would be waaaay more practical.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My project was 3 keepers...DONE

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
223, 260, 7mag pictured?

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I just bought a well used Brown Precision for a 700 long action. Not sure what to do with it but a recent posting of a 300H&H got me thinking. A 30/06 would be waaaay more practical.

Paul,

a 300h&h is really appealing me.

i will use a lh zastava 375h&h as a start base.

any hints on the barrel maker?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yukoner

Ted

Ow.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a 1948 FN .270 last summer with an old K4 in Buehler mounts and a left-hand stock.

I want to remove the LH cheekpiece, replace the old pad, and replace the Tenite forend tip and grip cap with contrasting wood ones.

I also want to replace the long Buehler base with the short one that places the front ring over the receiver ring instead of out over the barrel. I just picked up the Buehler Little Blue Peep sight that fits in the rear ring slot. The trigger also needs work.

I haven't even fired this thing yet, but the barrel looks pristine.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bonefish
223, 260, 7mag pictured?

Larry, Mo, and Curly. Should cover a few bases.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukonphil
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Paul,

a 300h&h is really appealing me.

i will use a lh zastava 375h&h as a start base.

any hints on the barrel maker?

Not sure yet. In the past I would have asked Bevan King, but that's not longer an option. I think it's best to have dies and brass and a reamer lined up before getting a bbl. No hurry on this one and it might not even happen. See what I get for an action first.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've got a trued stainless 700 short action and three barrels that I'm going to have fitted to it. Going to be an 8" twist 22-250, 8" twist 6.5x47 Lapua and a 10" twist .308, all Bartlein 2Bs. In the interim, it will go in an LVSF stock, but might eventually reside in a Manners EH3.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I've got a trued stainless 700 short action and three barrels that I'm going to have fitted to it. Going to be an 8" twist 22-250, 8" twist 6.5x47 Lapua and a 10" twist .308, all Bartlein 2Bs. In the interim, it will go in an LVSF stock, but might eventually reside in a Manners EH3.

John
Very interested to see how that turns out! Though I've never had one, I've long been enamored with the idea of a switch barrel rig.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I thought that I quit, but my 40X rimfire is out for a stock. I'm doing a 45-70 Rolling Block and it is getting the octagon cut on the barrel, I'm doing a 280AI on a Pierce Titanium receiver, and last but the most challenging is a 700 in 25-06 that has a real accuracy problem.

about a year and a half ago i found a rough cut stock for a 40-x, took it to a gunsmith, took him almost a year to get the metal sitted. I just finished the wood last week and put a 12power scope on it.
In no particular order, mating a really rough cut replacement stock to a wWII k98 training mauser in .22
Figuring out how to load some metallic black power rounds for some 1860's lee enfields.
rebuilding a 1842 springfield circa the mexican war.
i am sure there are more in there if i dig around.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just posted this a few minutes ago:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ERAKOTE_on_a_barreled_action#Post9779490
I have a stock I am going to take and have fitted to it. That will be it for Stage 1. I intend to have the stock re-checkered next year, likely refinished too.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a left hand 700 HB 22-250 I'm getting ready to barrel with a lighter barrel. I just purchased a # 4 SS Shilen SM barrel , 22 Cal 1&8 Twist. Problem is i can't decide if i want to chamber it for the 220 Swift, 22-250 or 22-243. Decisions

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hey Powdr

Just held up by a lack of money here. I have three barreled Rem 700 actions that need to be turned into completed rifles.
#1 Short Stainless 243 - destined to be a 6.5 Creedmoor with the intent of being a steel/hunting rifle.
#2 Short Stainless 7SAUM - will be #1 hunting rifle, going with the 6.5 SAUM/GAP chambering
#3 Long CM - started out as a 7MM Rem Mag and was rechambered for 7 STW. It will get rebarreled too, 7 something. Thinking maybe the good old Mashburn.

Of course so many others need work - minor improvements, trigger springs, etc on pistols; addition of some optics on Ruger 22/4 Lite, maybe buy a bobbed hammer for my 2" S&W Scandium to replace current hammer - I really don't want to grind the original. I have a Mossberg 500 w/a pistol grip and 18" cyl bore that I carried forever bear baiting and camping in AK that I think I'll get Ceracoted something like dark earth/black just because it was one of my very first shotguns and I'll always own it.

Plenty other little stuff that I have to write down so 1) I have a list, and 2) so I remember it when the thought pops into my head!

Last edited by Akbob5; 04/18/15.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 6 rifles out to various gunsmiths. 3 are being built up from existing actions with new barrels and wildcat chamberings (22-6mm, 375 Whelen Imp. and .450 Alaskan). One is getting a surplus barrel and wildcat chamber, and one needs to have the rear sight brazed and the throat opened up for cast bullets. I will do the stock work on the first 3...

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It never stops...don't fight it....

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Elk what are you building your 450Alaskan on? powdr

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
don't ask me why.. I just have a long hankering to play with a chambering in 7.62 x 53 Belgian Mauser...

or I could fake it and make a 308 chambered with a .310 bore...

bea175....I am looking for a barrel to make a 22.243.. having plenty of 243 brass, I made a dummy round for one with a 55 grain Nosler BTip on it...

yet every time I drive down the Highway and see a Semi that says SWIFT on the side ( which there are plenty of on the West Coast and the Rocky Mountain States).. I somehow think the 220 Swift keeps calling my name...yet I haven't seen any brass for one for years....

it never ends, does it...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
a pic or two would help...

6.5x57 & tweaking a 280AI...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In order of importance:

1. Help my son get a buck this year
1.a. Set him up with a 243 if IN changes the gun rules this year

2. Shoot my first black bear in MT. Leave in 8 days.

3. Fill my WY elk tag

Those things should keep be plenty busy and out of money/time to fiddle with too much gun stuff this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

It's stopped for me. I am too old to want another gun and don't need to sell one.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow to check some loads however they are not new but just for tested old favorites.

Come to think of it I am into where the first shot from my hunting rifle hits at 200 yds from it's cold barrel. That's my first shot at game.

The summer weather is good.
smile

Last edited by Savage_99; 06/19/18.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
3 years ago ... before 16bore went all practical and stuff.
Wonder how many of the above projects are still unfinished?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

It's stopped for me. I am too old to want another gun and don't need to sell one.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow to check some loads however they are not new but just for tested old favorites.

Come to think of it I am into where the first shot from my hunting rifle hits at 200 yds from it's cold barrel. That's my first shot at game.

The summer weather is good.
smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is where they hit yesterday;

30-06 custom 155 VLD max load Varget hit 2" high, 1" left 200 yds, 2nd shot 1..5" high, 1 1/2" group

7mm WSM 140 VLD 1" left 200 yds, 2nd shot 1" high 2" group

Last edited by Savage_99; 06/21/18.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 280Ai on the Pierce Ti receiver is done. It is too light and kicks my A$$.One 40X rimfire is done, and my 45-70 Rolling Block is getting the finish up on the stock.
I have my 300 WinMag Montana out for bluing, my other 40X rimfire at Turnbulls, and I need to get my 22RF Rolling Block back on schedule. I did build a 6.5 Creedmore that is waiting on me to install in an Eliseo Chassis.
I thought I had quit!

Last edited by butchlambert1; 06/21/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those loads I shot yesterday also kick too hard for me.

I have the books open to load up some 243's

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’ve got a Ruger No. 3 in the works. I had JES rebore it from .223 to 9.3x62. When I’m done it will have a reshaped lever and new curly maple wood. I’m about ready to rust blue the lever, wood is next.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Projects. Multitude. What I wanted when I retired. Don't care if they get much use, just wanted to do it. First 2 when I get back to it will be a 1911 longslide and a 280. Should it be a straight 280 or an AI? Howa action.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The FN got dropped into a B&C. Since the spacing of the holes in the reciever wasn't standard, I had a second one d&t'd in the bridge and mounted a 3-9 in Burris Signature rings on two-piece STD bases. A couple of thrown-together loads with 150gr Sierras and 160gr NPs make nice groups and nearly to the same POI. Thinking about a DT trigger.

Got some ML stuff going on, and a Howa Mini 7.62x39 Youth coming next week for the grandson's first deer hunting (a Grendel failed to materialize). After that's together, my Fieldcraft gets to come home.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My latest is a Rem 7600 pump being rebarreled to 9.3X62. I own an ancient Ithaca Model 37 pump 12 GA, and not single semi-auto of any kind, but thought a 9.3 pumper thumper would be cool.

Ted

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yukoner,

My 760 in 9.3x62mm was rebored by Jessie at JES & it's GREAT. = SHOOTS better than I can hold it. - I predict that you'll never let it go.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
JES does great work a few years back he rebored a Tikka T3 270 to 35 Whelen and it shoots better than I can hold it. With a 6x42 Meopta on it I can put 3 T-TSX's in a .5 group.

Just started reloading for my current project, a Montana that when I got it had fluted Douglas .243 barrel on it. I swapped out the barrel for a factory .308 barrel had I had rebored by JES to .358 win and cut the barrel to 19 inches. Swapped the grey Montana stock for a soft touch Ascent stock, looking for the right scope but have a Weaver 6x38 on it for now.
[Linked Image]

As it sits in the picture it is 5 lbs 8 ozs an my first try reloading for it shot 3 shot groups at 1.2" at 100 yards and under 4" at 300 yards, expect that to get better as I play with loads and get around to bed it.

From my experience you can’t go wrong with JES.

Ted
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Frequently there is an inverse relationship between owning a bunch of stuff and doing much hunting with all that stuff. Own less and hunt more for me!

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, something as simple as a scope purchase leads to all kinds of projects.

I recently got in on a super bargain, a VX-5HD 2-10x. I didn't need it but it was too good a deal to pass up. I decided to see if my Model Seven custom in 6mm Rem would shoot 95-grain Partitions, and it loves them, so now I need to develop the load The VX-5 went on it and the VX-3 4.5-14 came off and went on my Mark X in 6-284 and now I have to develop the 70-grain BT load for that one. Should be a hot dog. To top it off, I discovered that my 6-284 brass is getting loose primer pockets so I laid in some 6.5-284 Lapua brass for the Mark X and I need to get all of it prepped. This is after having worked everything down to needing only to finish load development on a rebarreled .220 Swift. One step forward and three steps back. Sure wish I could do load development in my backyard.

Heaven help me should I decide to build a non-AR rifle anytime soon.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RinB
Frequently there is an inverse relationship between owning a bunch of stuff and doing much hunting with all that stuff. Own less and hunt more for me!

I started down that road and the ''long range mad scientist'' road - no thanks ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RinB

That's one idea, I suppose.

In my case, hunting is a close to home proposition, and even with generous seasons there's a lot of "off time". Dinking around with rifles fills that, and keeps my wallet from getting too fat as well. Still, I'm trying to keep the number manageable. There's a lot of futzing around possible with even one rifle. I've had some .308 sabots and a seater tool lying around for a good while, for instance, and several thousand .224 bullets (SPS, don'tcha know). I think it's time to get to work there.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Did two project rifles last winter, swore I wouldnt do any....butttttt.....

None in the works right now...I'm waiting to finish burning out a couple barrels.... whistle

Last winters guns....
Rem 700 .30-06 cobble job...

[Linked Image]

And a Parker Hale Super in .25-06

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Those loads I shot yesterday also kick too hard for me.

I have the books open to load up some 243's

My old M70 Varmint 243's worn out bbl. has been replaced by a friends new pre-64 M70 220 swift bbl. That's a 26" that should cover what varmint hunting I do at a distance. I also have a new Kimber 84M 243.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Gotta cerakote this and I am done for a while

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Ok apparently I have lost the ability to post a pic of my 6.5x55 mauser

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I have a Voere Cougar in 308 Norma Mag "M 98" that I bought some years ago. Put it in a after market stock and didn't shoot for shat and stuck it in the safe. Thinking pull it out and try to bring it back to life.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m repainting my 16 foot trailer and putting new boards on it. I need to go to deer leases to fill feeders. It’s hot working on the damn thing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My biggest project since 1997 has just begun this weekend. My gun room is being moved to a room twice its current size. Everything has to be torn down, boxed up, labeled. The new room is getting painted tomorrow. Carpet in a couple of weeks. Gonna be some work for sure. But, it will accommodate my soon retirement & full tilt into load works & ammo making, much of which, has been on hold for a few too many years.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ingwe:

Are you planning to drop that PH in another stock or take a rasp and put that one on a diet?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Ingwe:

Are you planning to drop that PH in another stock or take a rasp and put that one on a diet?

Im keeping it in the original stock, I like that flashy pseudo-Weatherby look....

Kinda like a Weatherby except it works well, and shoots well! laugh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've got two going right now:

Just shipped the barreled action of my Remington 700 9.3 Barsness-Sisk to Charlie with another #4 Lilja stainless barrel in 6.5mm, 1-8 twist for rebarreling to 6.5 PRC, the new Hornady round that fills the "gap" between the Creedmoor and the longer "magnum" 6.5's. The PRC pretty much a short 6.5-06, but with factory ammo and brass. Did it partly because of an assignment, but it will also provide a "slow switch-barrel" rifle chambered for a pair of 6.5 and 9.3 cartridges that can handle about any kind of hunting.

The other project is now over 5 years old. In 2013 a good friend in the business offered to arrange the building of a custom rifle, and I had a spare commercial FN Mauser action on hand. Sent it to him to be made into a .280 AI or something like that. The guy who was doing the work, however, became seriously ill and had to quit the business, so my good friend arranged to send the action to a fine barrelmaker we both knew (another good friend).

By that time I'd decided to do a traditional walnut-stocked rifle, so had him fit a very slim barrel in .257 Roberts.
All that took a year, and after the barreling, the guy who arranged the deal had the barreled action sent to a good stockmaker. After two years he had made some headway, but eventually got stuck somehow, apparently due to a lack of time.

Since I used to make walnut stocks (including checkering), early this year I asked him to send me the thing, and I'd finish it up. That somehow took several months, and when it arrived I discovered several parts were missing, including the action screws, magazine spring and follower, bolt-stop/ejector housing and a $200 custom trigger.
Luckily I had plenty of spare 98 Mauser parts on hand and am getting it all together again.

The stock came inletted and shaped, but unfinished without a recoil pad, so sand, finish and checker it, then have the metal finished. But at least it's in my hands now, and after 5+ years there's light at the end of the tunnel.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Takes artistic talent and ability to do work like that. Unfortunately, my artistic abilities peaked in 2nd grade, then back slid to the kindergarten level. Post pics when you're done, please.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've got two going right now:

Just shipped the barreled action of my Remington 700 9.3 Barsness-Sisk to Charlie with another #4 Lilja stainless barrel in 6.5mm, 1-8 twist for rebarreling to 6.5 PRC, the new Hornady round that fills the "gap" between the Creedmoor and the longer "magnum" 6.5's. The PRC pretty much a short 6.5-06, but with factory ammo and brass. Did it partly because of an assignment, but it will also provide a "slow switch-barrel" rifle chambered for a pair of 6.5 and 9.3 cartridges that can handle about any kind of hunting.

The other project is now over 5 years old. In 2013 a good friend in the business offered to arrange the building of a custom rifle, and I had a spare commercial FN Mauser action on hand. Sent it to him to be made into a .280 AI or something like that. The guy who was doing the work, however, became seriously ill and had to quit the business, so my good friend arranged to send the action to a fine barrelmaker we both knew (another good friend).

By that time I'd decided to do a traditional walnut-stocked rifle, so had him fit a very slim barrel in .257 Roberts.
All that took a year, and after the barreling, the guy who arranged the deal had the barreled action sent to a good stockmaker. After two years he had made some headway, but eventually got stuck somehow, apparently due to a lack of time.

Since I used to make walnut stocks (including checkering), early this year I asked him to send me the thing, and I'd finish it up. That somehow took several months, and when it arrived I discovered several parts were missing, including the action screws, magazine spring and follower, bolt-stop/ejector housing and a $200 custom trigger.
Luckily I had plenty of spare 98 Mauser parts on hand and am getting it all together again.

The stock came inletted and shaped, but unfinished without a recoil pad, so sand, finish and checker it, then have the metal finished. But at least it's in my hands now, and after 5+ years there's light at the end of the tunnel.

That sounds like something that would happen to me. A so called "good deal" that turns into a "not so good deal".
Kudos for sticking it out. please post pics when your done.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reads like a horror story without the nerve-jangling music and sound effects. I have a philosophy I've used for a long time, though, and it has served me well: when friends do things for you, you don't bitch about how they do it. You put the friendship at risk otherwise, and good friends are not expendable. Five years IS a long time, though.

So, JB...when are these Barsness Riflestock Co products coming to market?.
:P

I know, i know...

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RiverRider,

My good friend is still a good friend, but I doubt he'll be arranging any more rifle builds for me in the future!

Might not checker the stock myself, though. There's more than one custom checkerer in Montana who charges very reasonable prices, and the reason I quit making my own stocks around a decade ago was a lack of time. At this point paying somebody might make more sense....

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Im keeping it in the original stock, I like that flashy pseudo-Weatherby look....

Kinda like a Weatherby except it works well, and shoots well! laugh

Here's my Zastava M98 - same action as the PH, different stock finish, and probably different barrel profile. It has the same muzzle diameter as a Win M70 Fwt: .550, only it's a 24 inch barrel and has a pretty quick taper from the shank. And yep, this thing will shoot. I see them on Gunbroker all the time for less than $600 NIB. Talk about a sleeper.

[url=https://imgur.com/NcXDy0p][Linked Image]

Last edited by RevMike; 06/24/18. Reason: Add pic

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
357 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.