Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mac284338
You asked for opinions and these folks will tell you what they think...whether it is right for you or not is something only you can decide.

I have owned damn near everything the VG and Tikka. Not the RAR as it felt like a POS. The VG shot great but never felt good and was toward the heavy side. The Tikka is cheap feeling but shoots great and is very light. I fixed the feel by painting the stock with the Tan flat stuf with grit in it. Now it looks, feels and shoots great. Put a good scope on and I'm happy. Pick the one that feels the best to you and spend your money. Good Luck!

It doesn't work that way.

OP asks question, gets suggestion (notice mine wasnt even on the list) then is shamed into buying what he doesn't want, and fits in with the crowd. Or what Stick says, which is generally well thought out, but against the masses.

You must be new.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Weatherby uses Howa actions to build the Vanguard. All parts interchange, but the Vanugard uses a different safety, barrel, stock and trigger. They are similar, but not the same. FWIW, I prefer the Howa. I like the rifles,had both, but they are overweight for my uses. Get one scoped and you are talking about 9+ lbs, maybe closer to 10 lbs depending on the scope and mounts.

The Tikka or Ruger can come in under 7 lbs scoped if you choose carefully. Both are more accurate than the Howa/Vanguards I've owned. I like both for what they are, budget rifles that shoot very well. I'd save the money and buy the Ruger personally, but all 3 can be good rifles.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ok, have it your way. You're the one sniping...I offered an opinion. The OP should buy what feels good to him. Took you so little time to offer your criticism of someone else...

50+ years of hunting experience say not new. But, I forgot that you really did not offer advice...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wimpy bolt stop has kept me from owning Howa/VG, but many people never have a problem. I've asked around and more than a few here have pulled the bolt clear out of the receiver when running the action hard. When I run the bolt on game, my brass damn near goes into orbitgrin

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/06/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had Tikkler safeties click "off"... if you're prone to carrying one up the pipe its something to think about. Never had a case or primer let loose in one, but there isn't much in the Tikka design to contain or divert gas.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mac284338
Ok, have it your way. You're the one sniping...I offered an opinion. The OP should buy what feels good to him. Took you so little time to offer your criticism of someone else...

50+ years of hunting experience say not new. But, I forgot that you really did not offer advice...

It was just a joke............ grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is the Tikka gas system. What about it is inadequate?

"The receiver ring has a single gas port in the left side which aligns with a hole in the bolt head to vent escaping gas out to the side. The bolt body has no ports to direct escaping gas downward into the magazine well. Gas entering the firing pin hole that reaches the rear of the action is blocked by the solid rear wall of the bolt sleeve."

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter

"The receiver ring has a single gas port in the left side which aligns with a hole in the bolt head to vent escaping gas out to the side. The bolt body has no ports to direct escaping gas downward into the magazine well. Gas entering the firing pin hole that reaches the rear of the action is blocked by the solid rear wall of the bolt sleeve."

That just describes gas entering the bolt body and getting vented through a single port.

What happens when gas enters the left lug raceway? Pops the plastic cork? grin

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/06/15.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 4th_point

That just describes gas entering the bolt body and getting vented through a single port.

What happens when gas enters the left lug raceway? Pops the plastic cork? grin

Bullshit...the plastic "cork" as you call it is just cosmetic. Obviously you have not taken a bolt apart or you would not be spewing this nonsense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Easy test... stick the nozzle from your compressor into the Tikkler muzzle and see where the air exits. It comes straight down the left lug raceway and around the plastic cork at the shooter's face and eye. Now this is only 120 psi and not 60k+ psi, so its not a scientific test but I suspect hot gas from a ruptured case will follow a similar path.

Better yet take the cork off the bolt, reinsert bolt into action and take a pic for us looking down the left lug raceway. Maybe shine a light down the bore. I don't own any Tikklers anymore or else I'd do it for you.

Even more better...

Tell us what stops gas traveling down the left lug raceway?

I'm looking forward to you educating us on the Tikkler gas handling. Or are you just going spew insults with no information?

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/07/15.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And I agree that the cork is just cosmetic.

Looking forward to pics and explanation.

Thanks,

Jason

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
And I agree that the cork is just cosmetic.

Looking forward to pics and explanation.

Thanks,

Jason

It has been explained to you by another poster on this thread. Please provide proof of a Tikka injuring a shooter or blowing up because of action design.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me explain it again, that quote describes the gas handling for gas entering the firing pin hole. A ruptured case is going to send gas down the raceway.

How does it stop the gas going down the raceway, or are you just going to avoid the question?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No. A scientific test would be to do the same with an expanded case fired in that chamber and the primer pocket open, as would be in a over pressure situation.

Your "test" isn't testing real conditions.

Do the same "test" on any bolt action and the results will be similar.

And, a ruptured case will vent down the bore if the bore is not blocked.

Last edited by David_Walter; 04/07/15.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Let me explain it again, that quote describes the gas handling for gas entering the firing pin hole. A ruptured case is going to send gas down the raceway.

How does it stop the gas going down the raceway, or are you just going to avoid the question?

Name a rifle other then a Weatherby Mark V that keeps gas from hitting the shooters face when sending gas down either one of the the raceways. The back of the tikka firing pin assembly fits in the bolt with minimum tolerance, that makes the bolt safer not the plastic shroud. You were implying that the Tikka design was unsafe, I asked you to provide proof.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. A scientific test would be to do the same with an expanded case fired in that chamber and the primer pocket open, as would be in a over pressure situation.

Your "test" isn't testing real conditions.

Do the same "test" on any bolt action and the results will be similar.

Not quite David. If you put compressed air down the barrel of a Savage, the front baffle sends that air out the left and right ports.

Let me give you some examples of gas handling for the left raceway:

1. Mauser 98 - c-collar, and a 90-degree flange at the end of the bolt.

2. Savage - as mentioned front baffle, and a rear baffle on bolt.

3. Rem 700 - bolt nose inside of barrel breech.

4. Win 70 (newer) and MRC - baffle attached to bolt body that rests in left raceway.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/07/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If so, why do some rifles have designs to handle stray gas in the left lug raceway?

Again, I ask the original question, "What stops gas from traveling down the left lug raceway in a Tikka?"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Name a rifle other then a Weatherby Mark V that keeps gas from hitting the shooters face when sending gas down either one of the the raceways. The back of the tikka firing pin assembly fits in the bolt with minimum tolerance, that makes the bolt safer not the plastic shroud. You were implying that the Tikka design was unsafe, I asked you to provide proof.

Savage. And as stated, I'm not talking about the gas entering the firing pin.

Please answer the question,

"What stops gas from traveling down the left lug raceway in a Tikka?"

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Comparing a Savage with a Weatherby Mark V in the gas handling department. That is quite rich.

There is no problem with gas traveling up the leftside bolt rail since there is a precise fit between shroud and the receiver. Since the cartridge is well supported in the chamber , the chances of a rupture are NIL anyway. Please list out all the Tikka failures you have found on the internet. While you are at it list out the Tikklers trigger failures as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What shroud?! Like I wrote earlier, take the plastic off and take a pic for us. I'm open to learning but want to see it.

And what does the trigger have to do with anything?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.