Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Finn always seemed very down-to-earth and gentlemanly.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Finn always seemed very down-to-earth and gentlemanly.

He was that in spades. Plus a real asset in a hunting camp.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wish I could remember the exact quote, but Keith once remarked about people complaining he was into "overkill". He said he could not understand the subject as how could something wind up "overdead".

BYW, I think "The Last Book" by O'Connor is full of great acerbic quotes. One nugget was where he mentioned if mule deer were called "mulies" likewise would it be legitimate to call a moose a "moosie" or sheep "sheepsies" elk "elkies", etc.

I loved reading both Keith and O'Connor, but the latter always struck me as probably the less pleasant of the two to have hung around with, especially if you pizzed him off.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Aagard's buddy: There goes the big A-hole!
Aagard:BANG

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Savage 99 has singlehandedly rendered gunwriters obsolete. I can't wait for him to type his complete treatise on CRF's and Connecticut deer hunting. He's almost convinced me to swear off push feeds so as it is!

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
3040Krag,

I can imagine what O'Connor would have thought of Leupies, Remmies and Winnies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Savage 99 has singlehandedly rendered gunwriters obsolete. I can't wait for him to type his complete treatise on CRF's and Connecticut deer hunting. He's almost convinced me to swear off push feeds so as it is!

Don wrote, "Magazine writers have been replaced by you and I on the internet."

When he makes his debut as a gun writer, who's gonna correct his misuse of subjective "I" for objective "me"?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I probably shouldn't have been so hard on Savage 99. Apparently am just in a grumpy mood, as I've learned several things from him over the years:

1) .22 caliber centerfires won't kill whitetail deer correctly. He knows this because he once shot a deer with a .22 centerfire, and though the deer died, it didn't die correctly.

2) The .358 Winchester is far more popular than the .257 Roberts, because the .257 Roberts also won't kill whitetails correctly.

3) Deer don't die correctly when shot with push-feed bolt actions. This is because all push-feeds jam constantly, so you can't shoot deer multiple times, rapidly.

I am sure other things have been learned from him, but can't recall any right now. Maybe he'll find some more interesting facts on the Internet and share them here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I probably shouldn't have been so hard on Savage 99.

It's so seldom that Mr. Barsness is incorrect. shocked

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
In one of Elmer Keith's books he had a line something like
"you can skin a buffalo with a pen knife, but it doesn't say much about the intelligence of the person doing it".
I often remember that line when I see threads on how small of a cartridge you can use on deer, purposefully! (flame suit on!)

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
In one of Elmer Keith's books he had a line something like
"you can skin a buffalo with a pen knife, but it doesn't say much about the intelligence of the person doing it".
I often remember that line when I see threads on how small of a cartridge you can use on deer or other big game, purposefully! (flame suit on!)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
3040Krag,I can imagine what O'Connor would have thought of Leupies, Remmies and Winnies.

True, but he did like to fling pills with high BCs; that's just how he rolled.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Is that why he settled on the 270 and the 130 grain bullet?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That was just so he had something to write about. You didn't think that schtick was serious?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most important thing I learned from Savage 99 is that since deer are scarce at his VT deer camp you can't kill them with light caliber rifles and need something along the lines of a .358. Apparently light cartridges only work where deer are plentiful. And even then you need a CRF so you can get a second shot off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I learned on the Campfire that it's better to remain silent and be considered a fool,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I learned on the Campfire that it's better to remain silent and be considered a fool,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Sounds like that famed gunwriter of old, Abe Lincoln... cool

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One I do recall from Capstick is his comments about leopard attacks...the comment ran along the line of the cat biting your face off, then the hind claws going to work on you like a rototiller.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the opening line to Gene Wensel's book, Come November, is one of the best I've ever read: "I was a deer hunter before I became a man."

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
And don't forget that TR admitted that he was not a good shot, but that he shot often.....

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.