Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oakster
he already had a .300 WSM and said it just didn't have the knockdown power that his .300 Win Mag had

I'm somewhat hesitant to ask if he qualified that remark with any examples?

BP-B6

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Lots of guns will kill elk. The "eastern view" you refer to is probably a combination of magazine articles and wanting an excuse to buy a "western gun."

As others have pointed out, lots of westerners carry magnums as well. Part of it is ignorance, part of it is necessity.

I live in the west and carry a bunch of different elk rifles. Some days, in some places, I want my .300 WBY. Other days, I'll happily pack my .260. Just depends on the menu.

Magnums aren't necessary, but they are nice to have once in a while.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If I were to go out 'west' after anything, I'd pick up whichever one of my 7x57s, 358s, 30-06s, 308s, etc. that I wanted to hump mountains with for days on end, and say I killed an elk and/or muley with. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't take any of my smaller bores, just on principle. I got over magnum-itis way back. Then again, I do like speaking with some sort of authority, if the critter dictates.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use my Nula 300 WM almost exclusively on deer, elk, and antelope. Why because I can place the shot on the hair I aim at. My 06 actually kicks harder than the 300, a credit to Melvin's stock and pad. I had the rifle made for me and just love the 300 WM as a all around cartridge. The 45/70 comes out once in a while but the 300 is first choice 99% of the time. I've killed Elk with all 3 rifles they didn't know the difference!!! If you can shoot it we'll use it. The key is shoot it and then shoot it again, against a tree, on your belly, squatting down standing up just shoot it.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, if one is shooting elk at long range, maybe a Magnum is desirable if accuracy is enhanced, or the range is extreme.

On my Idaho hunt I carried my .338 Mag as shooting was likely to be up to 500 yards (my competence limit- not the rifle's) cross-canyon - and besides, it was the only rifle I had in Barrow - the rest were in storage elsewhere.

On my Colorado hunt the range was advised to probably be within 200 yards- likely about 50. The .260 with 140 grain Corelokt bang-flopped the cow at about 150..., but I did debate between it and the slightly heavier 17 inch barreled '06.

And it is 1 lb lighter.... and I hadn't killed with it before.... smile

6 weeks prior my son had bang-flopped a caribou at 200 yards with the .260 ( virgin kill for both), and two weeks after the elk, that 40 yard wolf didn't complain- just died. I've killed caribou in excess of 300 yards with that 260 since, so I don't think Magnums are a needful thing to kill elk at any reasonable range. Especially if one can't shoot 'em.... But if one can, it can't hurt.

A critter just doesn't care what kills it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive killed elk with a handful of cartridges from .243 to .300 Win....

Day in , day out my fave was a .300 H&H....with a .30-06 running second.

Never felt under gunned with my 7x57 either though...

Don't know where that puts me in this discussion....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
People just need to know how to shoot their damn rifles. And be in shape..

"Run what you brung, take what you won".

Isn't that the damn truth. If a guy can't handle a magnum, use what you can handle. Stay above the minimum required by law and you'll be fine if you put the bullet in the right place.. Elk hunting is (in most cases) more about hunter skill than the rifle or cartridge he uses...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive killed elk with a handful of cartridges from .243 to .300 Win....

Day in , day out my fave was a .300 H&H....with a .30-06 running second.

Never felt under gunned with my 7x57 either though...

Don't know where that puts me in this discussion....

270 lover... whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You will smoke a turd in hell for that...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
I live and hunt in Oregon myself for years now.

And I don't know for sure what it takes to kill an elk every time but I have killed plenty with a sharp broadhead on an arrow. I have seen teenage girls kill elk dead in their tracks with a .243. At distance.

I think the whole magnum thing is a phase most go through. If you are only shooting a couple times a year you could surely handle it right?

My group all went through it about 15 years ago. They all went out and bought 300 mags in different configurations. After getting beat to death by factory stocks and heavy loads they all switched back to their .270's

I shoot a big mag on critters I want to stay where I shoot them. I do not have a bunch of rifles that are heavy hitter because I do not feel I need them in most situations. Some situations, I do feel, require a thump to get the job done fast.

I have shot heavy loads accurately in rifles designed to shoot that type of load for a long time. No they are not light mountain rifles, they weigh in at nine pounds plus, the stock is designed to fit me, and they have great triggers.

So when you decide to "come out west to hunt elk" worry about shooting whatever you bring - well. Expect to fail at finding elk and have to work harder than you ever had to at being successful. Have good boots and a backup pair. Be ready for any kind of weather. Have trusted and tried gear. Bring an attitude that shows a sense of humor and tenacity and you will have a great experience.

Oregon is beautiful and bountiful take the time to enjoy it.

Excellent post spoken from the heart. I can appreciate that.

BSA MAGA
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Inqwe,
What was your favorite 300 H&H load? Having one built right now.

Arcus Venator
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oregonian here.
I got told when I brought my 270, 'thats the minimum for elk' what ever.
I normally hunt with the old faithful 06 but wanted to get blood on the 270 and never felt under gunned.
Its weird that the guys in camp now, all want 300 RUMs.
I told my buddy if you really want an elk thumper get 338 if you already have an 06 that you just killed a 350 +/- bull last year. I don't know. To each his own I guess.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You be the judge.

7MM Rem Mag, poorly placed bullet due to over confidence in magnum killing power of a angle shot. 60 yards. Long tracking job.

[Linked Image]

30-06. properly placed bullet at a base of neck, 60 yards.DRT.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/29/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CRS
Inqwe,
What was your favorite 300 H&H load? Having one built right now.

Sorry this took so long to get back to you..but i used a 190 gr. Hornady BTSP in front of 70.0 grains of H4831sc

Mind you this his redlined...I would approach the load with caution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You definitely don't need a magnum when hunting country like this. That's my .30-30 leaning against the tree.

[Linked Image]

On the other hand, I've taken a bunch of elk out of country like this:
[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sandpit
I have to ask this,I'm from eastern orygun.why is it when most folks on here talk about coming out west to hunt they automatically think they need a magnum rifle?i don't understand the eastern thinking here

had to reply to this one.... For me when I asked this question the first time years ago... it was simply because I was so excited about going out west to Elk hunt... I want to talk about everything.... I ended up taking a Magnum... a 338 WN because I could shoot bug holes with it and it was one of my favorite guns with nice wood... I also took a Plastic stocked 30-06 as my back up if the weather got wet.... (Horse back hunt)

I do think a lot of the talk about people from the east going out west to elk hunt and what round to take is simply excitement and people want to talk...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sako
I do think a lot of the talk about people from the east going out west to elk hunt and what round to take is simply excitement and people want to talk...

Yup, which is only natural, especially if you've never hunted elk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Sako

Yup, which is only natural, especially if you've never hunted elk.

This and the excuse for a new rifle! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Because we've all read THAT magazine article. You know, the one that warns you about the Bull at 450 yards as the light is fading on the last day of the hunt. He always seems to be at a bad angle to top it off.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.