Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
A guy I've known from another forum for about 10 years, has a 1917 9mm luger which is marked with German military markings from the time of the great war. It has all matching numbers with the exception of the extractor which is one number different. It has a matching numbered magazine and another magazine that isn't matching. It also has an old leather holster. Condition would be considered Good. Not pristine or excellent. It's seen some use and has some wear. It was supposedly a war bring back, but not from Europe. Supposedly it was actually found in the Pacific theater in the possession of a Japanese officer. Stories are worth squat, but if true, it's interesting.

The gun is being sold to pay for funeral expenses of the gentleman's father. The family has fallen on hard times and quite a few weapons are being sold. The asking price is $1200. I don't need a Luger, but feel compelled to help the guy out. Is this a reasonable price? I don't mind too terribly if I take a loss, but I'd prefer not to take a $600 loss on a future sale.

Any ideas?

Dan

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fair price and consider the help it will do...and yes Lugers were found by GIs along with Mausers in the hands of Japs.No different than a Brit with one of our Thompsons

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a fair price to me at least.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grab it.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds reasonable to me, they are pricy these days.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too would say grab it. Matching magazines are very hard to come by, on old Lugers.

6" barrel, or the shorter ones?

I've no particular need for one, but one of the long barreled ones has been on my bucket list for a while.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm far from a luger expert, but a functional one is going to cost at least $1000, and that one sounds like it is much more than just "a luger"

A wonderful historical pistol and a chance to help a buddy out. Personally I'd hang on to it and when the buddy is in better financial situation offer him the chance to buy it back for what you got it for.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
when the subject of lugers comes up, it's all in the detail. All most all parts are numbered, it is rare to find one with the mag numbered to the gun. you didn't mention the color of the holster, i would expect brown, not black. Those holsters can by themselves run into the hundreds of dollars for a decent one. You didn't mention where it was made barrel length does it still have the straw finish on some of the parts etc. Having said all that, if i had it in front of me i would whip out the C notes so fast it would make your head swim.
And i may have had exposure to more than one luger.
If you do buy it, and decide to shoot it, keep the original springs aside, but get some new springs in it if possible. The japanese made cruddy handguns for WWII, and officers often purchased their own sidearms that were foreign made. Many of them carried U.S. weapons in that regard.
i doubt very much you take a 600dollar hit on it unless you were extremely foolish. Even the russian captures are more than that these days for a good one.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04/29/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i might add this just to get your blood lust going
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/lugers/

simpsons is a pretty big luger dealer.
I have to laugh in a way, i got into a collection a number of years ago and a guy i knew was shaking his head when he found out what i paid for them. Now some years later he would very much like to acquire said lugers, but at THOSE prices. I don't think so.
http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=179

this was a russian capture luger for 695 sold price. Russians did nasty things to them. That sale price was in 2008.
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/8459120

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04/29/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks.

I broached the subject of holding it for him and he told me that his dad had insisted this be one of the guns that go to pay for his funeral expenses. Evidently, he left the boys plenty of other heirlooms to have and neither son is particularly interested in a safe queen. They know it's nice, but they have other guns to shoot. My buddy said they're still searching the house for a couple of WWII bring back pieces that have equal value. The dad specified which sons got which guns so there wouldn't be any hard feelings.

As for shooting it, I had a WWI .30 caliber Luger once and didn't really come to love it. So, I'll just buy this one and put it away for one of my kids. Lately I've just been buying guns with heirloom value and selling off the run-of-the-mill stuff.

Thanks for the input.

By the way, it's a 4" barrel.

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.