Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 59 of 63 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, the 338 does pretty good. That pre 64 of mine that I posted a pic of shoots great. There's a reason we practice, isn't there? When that shot comes, we need to be ready to take it.... Just one:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is what I was doing yesterday. Maybe John is right. Stone cold has a nice ring to it... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice job, dude. Congrats !!

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nice. Never shot an elk. Tried a few times with a bow. few times with an MZ. Would have been happy with a cow. Enjoy!

RE bullets, Nosler, I've not had great luck with nosler unless it was BT bullets. You'd think they could then make BTHP to work well. Is what it is. Have some early E tips I tried in my 7x300 wtby that didn't shoot worth a flip either.

Black hills should have known to start with SMK bullets, they are generally the easiest to get to shoot well and decent priced.

If I was searching for BC I still say just jump up to single load and try 80 JLK. Find the seating depth, generally jammed just a bit, and push em. They always won for me. YMMV though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yeah, the 338 does pretty good. That pre 64 of mine that I posted a pic of shoots great. There's a reason we practice, isn't there? When that shot comes, we need to be ready to take it.... Just one:

This is what I was doing yesterday. Maybe John is right. Stone cold has a nice ring to it... whistle

Nice bull. Love seeing the old 338 still getting it done.

Which bullet did you use? Shot details... come on man, holding out on me!

Last edited by beretzs; 10/27/19.

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

You should know by now that isn’t L-train MO.. He posted the picture probably in one of the more obscure sub forums.. L-Train is a man of mystery.. As L-Train likes to say “stay thirsty my friends”

Last edited by 79S; 10/27/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks buddy. Its the same one i had you test for me (225 gr interlock). It did better than i thought it was going to do, but did separate into 2 pieces (im assuming). It penetrated through and through. Surprisingly with minimal blood shot. The bull was walking downhill toward me, shot was 200 yards. As he stepped forward, i pulled the trigger. Bullet entered the neck and went out the ribs on the far side. All in all good performance from the 338wm, as per usual.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

You should no by now that isn’t L-train MO.. He posted the picture probably in one of the more obscure sub forums.. L-Train is a man of mystery.. As L-Train likes to say “stay thirsty my friends”

Ha ha, i just dont like to brag. Some of the dumb fu cks on the other forums just think im a paper puncher. A lot of those fuggers are as dumb as the rocks they shoot at though.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

You should no by now that isn’t L-train MO.. He posted the picture probably in one of the more obscure sub forums.. L-Train is a man of mystery.. As L-Train likes to say “stay thirsty my friends”

Ha ha, i just dont like to brag. Some of the dumb fu cks on the other forums just think im a paper puncher. A lot of those fuggers are as dumb as the rocks they shoot at though.

That’s great stuff. Seems like any half way decent bullet from a 338 is a decent one.... about like the 270 whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This thread is still going and since I got my elk cut up and in the freezer, I had to go out and shoot a little today. Well, I only fired 20 rounds through my new barrel today. I shot a lot more out of my new Winchester model 52, but that's for another thread....

Todays results:

Rifle:
Rogue Defense made in Milwaukee Oregon, with some mods I added like the PRS and K2+ and 20" Windham Weaponry stainless match (varmint exterminator) 1 in 8 twist barrel:
Scope: Burris MSR 4.5-14x42 that I'm going to switch out with a better Burris AR556 4.5-14x42 here pretty damn quick. The rifle has proven to me its going to be a shooter.. So it deserves a better scope..

Range and target at 100 yards. Cant see it because of the sun. Trust me, it's in the direction the rifle is pointed. Not the targets on the left some yahoo's were shooting:

Target pics with details:

Caliper over one group for reference:

Calculated moa:

Score: .957 MOA AVG..

Post those targets up guys, if you are doing any shooting. Good luck on your hunting, if you are doing that as well!!!! Get your critter and then get back to shooting... grin

Oh, by the way MM hit the nail on the head. This is a slow load. I checked them with the chrono the other day and they are running 2,505 fps on average. I will bump it up a bit for sure. We'll see if I can find another good accuracy node on the way up!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

That’s great stuff. Seems like any half way decent bullet from a 338 is a decent one.... about like the 270 whistle

Ha ha Scotty. Snuck that 270 chit in on me when I wasn't looking.. Typical 270 guy thing to do... Ha ha... I damn near bought one the other day. It was priced so low, even a straight guy would buy it... whistle

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Speaking of 270 ^^^^^, i just bought s cheap azzed one from my friend that will consistently shoot sub moa. Ill post up some targets when i go to the range next time. Anyone else been shooting?

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What load are you shooting out of that windham weaponry 8 twist barrel? Nice shooting, nice rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by auk1124
What load are you shooting out of that windham weaponry 8 twist barrel? Nice shooting, nice rifle.

Thanks. I have had great luck with the WW barrels. I have 2 rifles that use them now. They are not very finicky at all. I had to go back a page and make sure it was the Rogue Defense you were asking about. That's the one I've been messing with most recently. The load I was using is rather slow, but it is pretty accurate. Eventually, when the weather gets better, I'm going to take the chrono out to the range and do some more testing. I believe I'm running a conservative 20.5 grains of AR Comp in FC cases and br4 primers in the load I posted on the previous page. It is a sub moa load in the rifle, but only runs about 2,500 fps. Like MontanaMan said a while back in a thread, he suspected my load was slow and he was right. I'll step on the gas pedal more next time out. Here's another target of how that rifle shot when the barrel was brand new:

My other WW barreled rifle loves 73 gr Hornady ELD match bullets:
I'm running 20.5gr of AR comp in that load as well...

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nice! I will keep Windham in mind for barrels.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
careful stepping on the gas with that FC brass.... but you know that

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
careful stepping on the gas with that FC brass.... but you know that

Thanks Jeff. If I see any signs of overpressure, I'll go back to my slow load. I have a chit ton of R-P brass I could try as well... I also have a couple thousand pieces of PMC. What kind of brass do you prefer? Thanks.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Free. LMAO. I used to toss or trade in FC brass. Though with Varget loads in the day I found whatever load I was using in LC if I backed off 1.5 grains I could use FC for a couple firings.

Mostly I have a fair bit of LC and I"ve never really used anything else other than RP nickel once for an ID issue on the firing line IIRC. Separate my wife 600 yard brass from mine. You can even anneal it though it starts to look ugly. But I've never worried much about looks. LOL.

I have maybe 10K pieces of PMC and they came with horribly off center flash holes which lead to a serious test phase which told me off center flash holes make zip difference for most uses... have shot a couple of my highest ever 300 rapids at Perry with PMC brass too...

There can be weird lots of LC like anything else, I used to be in the loop and we quickly knew as new year dates came out if it was heavy or light or such... I've no clue these days.

Bolt guns, another topic but I'm almost down to Lapua only with them.

Now off to try to track down some 458 Win mag brass, I keep forgetting I need more of that...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the last 3-4 years, can't recall exactly the dates, LC brass has been Federal brass.....................just sayin'.

I've used a fair amount of it & am just now getting around to reloading some of it for the 1st time, so we'll see what happens with the primer installation.

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
LC brass has been produced by Federal but it is not Federal brass.

Of course when you start losing primers on milder loads with Federal brass, then you'll figure it out...

Page 59 of 63 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (6mmbrfan, 35, 14idaho, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.