bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ok, i admit it. im hooked.
are you?
heres the place chat about it.
so, have at it!
ive been doing it for over 30 years now. how about you?

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Shotguns don't shoot the same that other ones do, differnet focus, trigger pull etc so while highpower service rifle shooters, we cross trained in everything but shotgun.

I shoot it not often enough, such that the lab was usually staring at me while duck hunting. He thought that me getting to shoot was not nearly enough. He would like to retrieve.

Haven't shot competition rifle in about 10 years, could get into shotguns now, but wife and I decided to spend our recreation funds going to AK every time we can instead. LOL. Good deal for us at least.

4H benefit shoots get our money a few times a year, and thast about it.

I love to watch a good shotgun shooter shoot though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i legged in pistol with good eyes, got tired of being wet in rifle matches...got old and my weak eyes can handle shotguns now. lol!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, Maybe thats where I will head... 20 of 30 leg points in pistol with only 3 matches shot, I was using bullseye as a bit of crosstraining...

I know the wet feeling. LOL.

At least being out of competition, means I can now choose to get wet or not in the things I do. Doesnt' matter to anyone else, not letting a team down etc... if I sleep in the tent in the rain in Alaska instead of getting wet that day looking for a moose.

Heck with a shotgun if I hit 50% I think I"m on fire.....

Having shot a box of shells once at teal... and having a friend offer more, I says no, lets go back to the airboat. I'll have more fun driving my airboat than shooting more at teal.. .and I've shot my duck limit other days with one round per bird...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
yep...gotta love guns that have a 30" diameter bullet.....

Last edited by bobski; 05/13/15.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, we did all our best shooting, and saw all kinds of records broken when we went to .224 bullets...M14 still feels right but the AR shoots circles around it and its earlier relatives.

The 30 inch wide bullets don't help as much as I thought they should.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You left out the new kid on the block. Sporting clays????

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the day, I was a AA27AA trap shooter. Haven't shot registered targets in years, due to raising a family, and a busy career....I sure do miss it at times. Someday I'll get back into it.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
s.clays? who cursed? lol.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Should have known from the retired part of your intro.

Have fun with the older crowd. grin

Last edited by battue; 05/14/15.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sporting is generally what we shoot on benefit shoots. To me its much harder than skeet, which if you figure it all out is pretty repetitive.

I like the idea of sporting clays.

I should really shoot a bunch of it before duck/dove seasons.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
SC makes more than a few of the older crew nervous. wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nervous? Wouldn't see why. The person that breaks the most still wins, whether its 100 on the skeet or whatever on sporting.

Seems to me sporting teaches a lot of differing shots, more so than skeet or trap, but skeet or trap is the way to start to learn the basics at least for me.

I keep forgetting to buy a couple of cases of the AA with the tracer wads... so I can have a clue where I miss at...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer SC over skeet and trap. Skeet is the most mechanical event, at least in my opinion. It is a tangible standard to judge scores tho, SC depends on how the course is set up. Skeet has the same difficulty, with the exception of wind or international skeet, on all courses.

I dont think you could do well on SC without learning the others first.

We took a guy that shot on the Army skeet team, for his first SC shoot. This guy could go 100 straight on skeet with all four gauges. Saw him do it over 4 days. SC whipped his butt! I think his score was in the low 20's.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Reason why is many like to shoot their 95Plus high skeet scores. Take them on a good SC course-there are easy and hard-and until they spend the time to learn other than the 20 some yard skeet targets they struggle big. For some of them it is hard on the ego and they quickly go back to their comfort zone.

Not all, but many, especially the older guard are not up to the challenge.

Hear many say, this isn't like anything I ever saw hunting and that is their excuse. Well the game has changed and it essentially isn't about hunting. It is about SC.

Not that you can't tune up your hunting skills on a SC course. You can. However, there are many presentations it would be rare to see with any frequency on the hunting fields.

Last edited by battue; 05/15/15.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Army Skeet team put on a demo at one of our clubs and those guys can shoot. Took them on the 5 stand and they were lost for a spell. One came up to me and said how are you breaking that long chondell, I can't touch it. Showed him and it didn't take long for him to catch on. He had a big grin on his face when the light came on.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
long chondell.. I think the one at our course needs 7-8 foot lead when I manage to break it...

RE the old crowd not up to it, thats arrogance IMHO.

They are up to it, but like many, me included, we tend to gravitate to one sport or another and try to be the US champ at it. I tried but not long enough likely to get there with the service rifle. I didn't want to shoot anything BUT service rifle. I think I've shot match rifle 1-2 times in my whole life... just my choice.

Nothing wrong with match, but I choose a different route.

Nothing at all wrong with picking which one you want to strive at.

I bet the army guys, once they figured it out would hand it back to everyone else pretty hard... They have the mental down which is HUGE, they just need to change mechanics a bit and get used to the new mechanics.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Observation of people is where I was coming from. Definitely not arrogance. Many of them are not up to getting into the game seriously due to the fact they don't want to drive home having the score ride home with them. They are used to high 90s.

Not so true with the young Bucks. They will often jump in and learn a new game and do well. The old guard not so much.

Yep the Army guys have the eyes, reflexes and mental game to play SC at the highest level. Once they get the mechanics and tricks down they would do well.

Last edited by battue; 05/15/15.

bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
my goal of the skeet trap thread is to save it and revive it. yes, s.clays is the hot potato these days. it appeals to hunters where skeet/trap appeals to those that like to practice repetition and endurance, like bullseyes shooters.
i like skeet/trap because i dont have to rent a cart or walk 2 miles. as i heard it mentioned, s.clays is golf with a gun.
and for that reason, youll never see me on a s.clays course. i prefer to get up from a bench, go shoot, and go back to the bench. then hang out in the club and relax. not swat flies and pray the battery isnt dead on the machine farthest from the clubhouse in the woods while i dig pebbles out of my boots. :>

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sounds like Skeet is like F class, as you age, its one thing you can keep up with

I've not shot with many folks that were scared of their scores to speak of... Guess that may be a shotgun thing possibly.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.