Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hey guys. I would appreciate your help with the worth of a rifle I need to help my stepmother sell. It is/was my dad's, and he is in late stage Alzheimer's. He was very proud of this rifle, and treated it like his baby for a while, then it became a safe queen for many years.

The rifle is a Sako chambered in 6 PPC serial #PPC B 6xx. It wears a target/varmint stock and a VX-III 6.5-20x40 w/target turrets. I visited a couple weeks ago, and agreed to see what I could do to help her sell it. Starting here, after posting it in the Competitive Shooting forum, rather than the classifieds to see if I can get an idea of what the rifle is worth.

Thanks for your help!

Some photos of this baby:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some sweet middle-aged guy shoes there!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Can't help on the value, but it's a fine looking rifle!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
1400-1600 rifle. 400-600 scope? did you look on gunbroker or sako collectors?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Roninflag, I did look at both of those places. This thing has been in slow process for a while. I came to the same numbers you did. What I don't know is if there are any particulars about this rifle that make it less/more valuable than the ones I saw on the Sako forum and GB.

I did see a Sako like this was on a Cabelas Rack somewhere back east for $2k. After mark-up, I figured that one fell into the same group as the others: right about $1600 given its condition. As always with these things, what the going rate has been and what someone is willing to pay now are distinct.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Is it a AI? Repeater or SS? A friend just sold an AI repeater with bettwr wood for $1,200 but you might get more.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mtcurman
Can't help on the value, but it's a fine looking rifle!
My dad would appreciate this simple compliment, mtcurman, then he would pull out a bundle of targets and start showing you what he had been able to do with it. If you showed interest, he would keep talking!

It was his prized gun for a long time, and the first firearm he was able to purchase after needing to sell just about his whole collection because of the divorce, and the few years of digging himself out of the hole. My point is that this gun has been loved and cared for, along with being an object of pride for my father.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
Is it a AI? Repeater or SS? A friend just sold an AI repeater with bettwr wood for $1,200 but you might get more.

Gahuntertom, it is not an AI. I did't think one could AI PPC's. They are already short, fat, and straight. Competitive shooters sometimes tweak the designs on these benchrest cartridges, but it is widely accepted that the 6 PPC at least for a while was the most- or one of a group of the most- accurate case design as it is. No point in fiddling with perfect, as it was already a wildcat.

It is a benchrest rifle, with a heavy barrel and stock, and is a single-shot I believe. It is original everything, in impeccable condition for a used gun.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by roninflag
1400-1600 rifle. 400-600 scope? did you look on gunbroker or sako collectors?

Fwiw
Ronin flag is all over the number IMHO.

You may be able to get a Sako nut to do more if he just had to have that rifle.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks, Geedubya. I am more and more thinking that you and Roninflag are right.

My step-mom needs the money to help take care of my dad, so I'm going to try and help her get what it is worth. My dad had a horrible habit of putting a lot of money into a firearm, losing interest, and then trading it off for half (or less) of its worth for the next greatest thing ever. I hope to do better here, for her sake.

Thanks, everyone, for your input so far. I didn't realize this was going to be so difficult for me. A lot of emotion tied up for me in my dad and his guns.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

Gahuntertom, it is not an AI. I did't think one could AI PPC's. They are already short, fat, and straight.

I think he was asking if it was an AI model rather than a L-461. Not an Ackley Improved.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
my brother and i each have a 6ppc repeater. and my brother had a 22 ppc repeater. the heavy barrel single shot had has been on each of our radar. nice rifles. you ought to shoot it before you sell it. i believe you would call the action an a1 not . i am not where i can check mine. look on the action. it looks well cared for. no dies, brass or bullet?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Great rifle. Some, I believe, had a set trigger. Not positive on that vintage. I have a SAKO 6PPC repeater in a sporter barrel and it is a ton of fun to shoot.

Good luck on your decision!
jason

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by roninflag
my brother and i each have a 6ppc repeater. and my brother had a 22 ppc repeater. the heavy barrel single shot had has been on each of our radar. nice rifles. you ought to shoot it before you sell it. i believe you would call the action an a1 not . i am not where i can check mine. look on the action. it looks well cared for. no dies, brass or bullet?

I couldn't find anything online or on the rifle that leads me to call it an A1. I'm not enough of a Sakophile to know the difference. The model as listed on the roll stamp is Model PPC. There are dies and brass. Nothing fancy on the dies: a Lee collet die set, and an RCBS FL die set. There may be another neck sizer around besides the Lee. There are 2X100 boxes Norma never-fired brass primed with Rem 7.5. 40 Sako in 2 Sako boxes that are once-fired. And 39 22 PPC brass opened to 6mm, some fired and some still loaded. He used to have 20 or so boxes of the Sako 6PPC brass. I don't know what happened to them. Hopefully he sold them for a small fortune!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I couldn't find anything online or on the rifle that leads me to call it an A1.

There wasn't anything on the side of the action, opposite the ejection port?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not that I noted. My step-mother wanted to keep the rifle there in Idaho, with the understanding that I would head down there and help her get it all sorted if I found a seller. I can see now that it is far easier to answer questions if I can refer to the actual piece. She is not in a position to answer questions if I call her up, and my dad isn't coherent anymore. I was hoping that others here would fill in some blanks for me regarding some of the specifics.

I believe that Sako built and marketed this model to benchrest shooters here in the USA, that they built relatively few of them for just a couple years, under the serials of A and B. This one is a B in the 600's. I happen to know how much he paid for the whole set-up, including brass, scope, and dies. I am sure I will not get even the late 80's dollars out of it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Those rifles were pretty much top of the line for off the shelf short range group shooters.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, yes they were!

The old man was giddy as a school boy when he showed me targets he'd shot. I was a self-absorbed teen at the time, but still, I had never seen anything so accurate before. 1/8" for 5 shots. He had a couple of those he'd always refer to. He jumped in with both feet, and would turn necks and the whole deal. Thinking back, it was probably therapeutic for him in ways I didn't understand, but am very aware of now.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That rifle should fetch from $1600.00-$2000.00. The scope would be better taken off and sold separately.

I have one of the first PPC Sakos built. I have A 020. They are fantastic shooters and have a trigger that will beat anything you have ever used. They weren't A1 actions, they were a solid action single shot with no hole for a magazine. I also have a Hunter model in 6mm PPC but it is an A1 action and does feed reliably out of the magazine. They both are capable of one shat hits on a gopher at 100 yards...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks, Shrapnel, for the info.

I knew someone out there had to be knowledgeable about this series of rifles. They were a big deal at the time. And wow- A 020- that was day 1 of production!

I have pulled the trigger, though I've never fired the gun. I agree with your assessment. It is smooth, crisp, short, and light. Great guns. I plan to find the right buyer.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
What shrapnel said.

The PPC action was for the heavy barreled target rifles and differed from the AI action; plus they had a different, through the bow adjustable trigger and a non-integral lug.

The AI action is/was an updated version of the L461, "Vixen" and was used in the Hunter repeaters.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.