Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Looking at NF 2.5-10 x 42 and wondering if this for $600 bucks would do about the same thing reliability/mechanical stability wise as the $1800NF. I am sure the glass is not as good. They are about the same weight, and the reticle in this one interests me.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Work great. Have quite a few of them, one with somewhere around 60k rounds on it. The least used is probably worth 10-12k rounds.

They stay zeroed, adjust correctly, the reticle is probably the best mil based reticle for hunting available and the clarity, contrast, and resolution is very good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Nice bucks.

What about the 3-15 non hd models. The power range and price is attractive but would value your opinion

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've got a couple of SWFA SS 3-9x42 scopes and they never skipped a beat on me. One is from the very first production batch (SN006).
They are not quite as good as the 2.5-10x42 Nightforce, but not as far off as you would think. Definitely not as full featured, but the FFP reticle is a nice advantage if you like to have quick holdover capability at any mag.

Between the 3-9x42 and 3-15x42, the 3-9x42 has wider FOV and better contrast. The turrets, IMO, have a little better feel, but both seem to track well.

The 3-15x42 has side-focus, so it is easier to tune focus, hence the resolution is a touch better. For precision shooting, I would go for the 3-15x42. For the "do everything" rifle that might see some precision shooting and some hunting, I think the 3-9x42 is a better choice.

ILya

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Kaleb,

ILya laid it out pretty well. I do not have nearly the amount of use on the 3-15x as I do the others, however what I have seen is that they work. That is to say properly. I think this year I'll see a bunch of use with the 3-15x as several have got them/getting them.

How's the NF working?

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Formidilio,

Are the SHV line of NF scopes worth the coin? Particularly the 3-10X42.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ilya,

Do you know if the side-focus seal design on the SS 3-15x is the same as other tactical scopes? I pulled the SF knob off a 3-15x accidentally and was surprised to see the guts of the scope under the SF knob. The design didn't inspire confidence in terms of longterm sealing, but this might be standard design practice as I've never pulled the SF knob off of any other scopes.

Jason

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Nice bucks.

What about the 3-15 non hd models. The power range and price is attractive but would value your opinion

I am shooting one, have been for 9 months. Rock solid so far.Consistant and reliable return to zero. I hunt with mine, and the mil reticle is very nice.Once used to it, you will love the precision for wind holds. The glass is quite good as well.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Travis,

The few that I have seen looked good. I conversed with EHG last year before I had really seen any and he said they were working correctly and that he was pleased. I know a couple of the guys at NF and it seems like they made sure that the SHV's are able to maintain their reputation. The QC and design is there, they just lack the complete overbuilt aspect of the NXS and ATACR lines.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Ilya,

Do you know if the side-focus seal design on the SS 3-15x is the same as other tactical scopes? I pulled the SF knob off a 3-15x accidentally and was surprised to see the guts of the scope under the SF knob. The design didn't inspire confidence in terms of longterm sealing, but this might be standard design practice as I've never pulled the SF knob off of any other scopes.

Jason

Most side-focus designs are done in roughly similar manner. There are minor variations here and there, but the basic construction is similar.

Now, if you were able to ust pull the turret off, there had to be a QC glitch. I presume the replaced the scope for you, right?

ILya

IC B3

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The 3-15 is the classic series, they go to 5-15 in HD. If they had a 3-15HD that would be a consideration but I need more low power than high in Georgia. I have one of their 1-4 scopes and frankly was surprised when I got it regards what you get for the money.

On the NF 2.5-10x42 the factory says the parallax adjustment makes it difficult to work with a PVS14, so recommended the 2.5-10x32 if you were going to use for that, they also said the newer 2.5-10 x 42's will not have NV settings for anyone interested in that sort of stuff.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
What are everyone's thoughts on the eye relief on the 3-9 HD? 3" seems pretty short at 9x. I'm looking for a scope for a lightweight 300 WSM that will be shot at funny angles at times. I'm a little worried about eating the thing with 3" eye relief.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Guys thanks for the helpful info. Always appreciate opinions based on actually using the gear being discussed.

Form the NF worked too well. I'm having a rifle built for a friend and took him to shoot one day when he stopped by to drop off the donor action. He was ringing steel out to 670 with the retical alone. He wanted to buy it. I told him over and over I wasn't interested in selling the rig. Either way he kept on and bought rifle scope and all the ammo I had loaded.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Travis,

The few that I have seen looked good. I conversed with EHG last year before I had really seen any and he said they were working correctly and that he was pleased. I know a couple of the guys at NF and it seems like they made sure that the SHV's are able to maintain their reputation. The QC and design is there, they just lack the complete overbuilt aspect of the NXS and ATACR lines.

Same feedback I got from him. I know he gunned 750 or so rounds each on a .223 and .308 to distance over a couple days. Zero retention, Tracking, RTZ were tits even with the "soft" handling he put it through. Sounds like a winner, just waiting for a used one to pop up so I can screw somebody outta one.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Travis,

Thanks broseph.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by joshf303
Same feedback I got from him. I know he gunned 750 or so rounds each on a .223 and .308 to distance over a couple days. Zero retention, Tracking, RTZ were tits even with the "soft" handling he put it through. Sounds like a winner, just waiting for a used one to pop up so I can screw somebody outta one.

If you decide you want to get fugged after giving your fugging, let me know. I'll be there.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whittakers is a good place to buy the 3-10 SHV from my experience. Son just mounted one on his 7mm using Talley lows. Fit like a glove.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No problem. I'm staying on them to produce a mil/mil version with a better reticle. I could like that.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was disappointed to see they're MOA. Might buy one anyway.

Travis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
What are everyone's thoughts on the eye relief on the 3-9 HD? 3" seems pretty short at 9x. I'm looking for a scope for a lightweight 300 WSM that will be shot at funny angles at times. I'm a little worried about eating the thing with 3" eye relief.

I'm curious about this too. I have an ss 6x42 but haven't used it yet, I believe it's also 3".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 51 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.